Swing Discussion Boards > Favorite Swing Moves

Discussion in 'Swing Discussion Boards' started by Spitfire, Dec 5, 2003.

1. Spitfire

Spitfire Well-Known Member

Be it from Lindy, ECS, WCS, ect. what moves are faves of yours?

I could list several, but the sliding door is one of mine as is the continuous tuck turn.

2. SwinginBoo

SwinginBoo New Member

Whips, tandem charleston (& soon to be tandem 20's charleston, thanks D Nice! :wink: ), cannonballs, grinds/switches, many many many many spins :D , and so much more I'm sure I'll be back to this post later...

3. Vince A

Vince A Active Member

So many moves, so little time!!! Westie speaking:

Whips, especially a certain 21 count whip that ends with a dip . . . really good for music that breaks on 5 - this is two 8-count moves and a 5 count move into the whip, breaking at count 5. 6,7, 8 brings her out and ready to go at count 1.

Any tandem turns - barrel rolls, and any tandem spins, and phantom turns.

I also like to walk out of a move- half way through - you get some strange looks from the follower, but I never let go, and get her going on Count 1 again.

I also like being hi-jacked. Oh, and I like to be given "rides" by the follower - if you know what this is???

I'll be back for more later! Although my dancing lately is centered on basics and learning to do just what the music is telling me to, which involves lots of footwork that is not WCS footwork or WCS counts - just playing!

4. Spitfire

Ah, barrel rolls; like those too! they also work well in Salsa.

For myself I have "revived" one I learned eight years ago; don't know the name but from a closed break position triple forward two measures followed up by two measures of pivot steps and two more of triple step; go into open break and do two kicks one left then right, reverse position and kick again with each foot, turn and face each other in open position at rock step. From here, release the ladies left hand with your right and turn halfway facing leaders right side while doing a triple step, triple again and turn back and face each other touching hands - leader's right to follower's left for as many measures as desired.

Please excuse the lengthiness, it's kind of hard to describe.

5. Vince A

Vince A Active Member

I started to explicate that 21 count whip with dip . . . a very advanced move, but it would have taken up so much typed space . . . it's easier to show someone if they WCS well . . .

Since getting away from pattersn, here lately adding hip[ hop stuff to WCs really makes it shine!

Also, if floor space is OK, and everyone is dancing a slot, one-way, in a WCS, I like to change the slot in the middle of a dance. I learned that judges like to see this, so I do it if the floor isn't too crowded. Besides, once you change the slot so it is perpendicular to the audience, now as you face the audience, the follow's back is to the audience, you can bring her in with a R to R connection, spin her one-half turn around . . . now she is also facing the audience (her back is toward your front) you take her right hand in your right hand, and your left and her left (her arms extended downward and her palms face down and your finger tips up into her), and prance (no specific count - 7/8, 9/10, 11/12/ 13/14, etc.) her right up to someone in the seats that surround the dance floor. Very effective judge's-eye-catching move!

6. pygmalion

pygmalion Well-Known Member

Hey! Did anybody mention toe-heel swivels? Those and sailor shuffles are my faves in ECS. :D Hmm. and even WCS. :D

7. Spitfire

SwinginBoo, can you describe these?

Btw - does the "Boo" have anything to do with Boston?

8. SwinginBoo

SwinginBoo New Member

Cannonballs =This can go either left (throw out) or right (swing out from closed). The follower jumps straight up. The leader adds height and directs her motion by placing his left hand under her armpit. When the follower pulls her legs up in a frog position, the move looks higher. Rock on count 1, step on count 2, down on count 3, jump on count 4, land and sync on counts 5 and 6. This is like a straight or frog, but the follow moves into open position.

Grinds/Switches = This is just a series of swivels the follower does in a clockwise circle led by the leader by a very slight twist of his left hand indicating he wants her to swivel to the left . The leader and follower create an outward connection and both rotate clockwise until the follower is led in.

Nope. It should though since I love my Red Sox. It actually has to do with Boo from Monsters Inc. My boyfriend calls me Boo after her because sometimes I wear my hair in pigtails and he thinks I'm adorable like her. :oops: :D

9. Swing Kitten

Swing Kitten New Member

you are adorable!

10. Spitfire

Cannonballs: I think I've seen these done; never done them myself.

Grinds/Switches: I didn't know these were done in swing; I've done them in Salsa - unless I'm thinking of something different.

11. Swing Kitten

Swing Kitten New Member

I live for well hit break... nothing's quite like it. Requires musicality and and great connection... it's so sweet it each time it comes together! :drool:

12. Spitfire

The Pretzel/Reverse Pretzel - I don't use this as much as I use to, but with a partner who I know loves it and follows it with no difficulty it is a fun move. Sometimes I call this my "oh no" move after this one lady who would say just that when she new I was going to lead her into it, but assured me she actually enjoyed doing it.

Yo-Yo - I had originally thought that this one would be hard to lead since it is a one handed variation of the wrap in and don't have the additional hand to follow up, but most ladies don't seem to have difficulty with it so I use it more these days.

13. d nice

d nice New Member

A well executed swingout/whip. Nothing even remotely like it.

14. suek

suek New Member

One of my faves is suzieQs in a circle, led, similar to switches. I also like Tacky Annies in open, very nice.

But nothing beats the music-driven hit or break that both of you do, at the same time, without planning. It's unbelievable. And it's one thing when I know the song. When it happens and it's a song I've never heard before, I get sent to a whole 'nother plane. As my friend Audrey calls it, it's a floorgasm.

I love this stuff.

15. pygmalion

Tacky Annies?

16. suek

suek New Member

I had an evil grin when I typed it in and I wondered who would ask first.

I love jazz moves and they're one of the reasons I love lindy hop. Damon, fix this if I get it wrong please:

In athletic lindy posture, step back R (could be L; I'll discuss that in a minute) and replace; step back L and replace, R and replace, then stomp off. It's stepR(on the "8" beat--I keep editing this so I don't get an emoticon instead of the numeral 8!) replace(1) stepL(2) replace(3) stepR(4) replace(5) stepL(6) replace(7) stompoffRL(and8).

The R or L is arbitrary. In open--or in shim sham everyone facing the same way--it starts on R. In closed, both people can start R and have opposing footwork, or one can start R and the other L andhave same side footwork.

And the step is not completely weighted. Feels to me halfway between a touch and a step (a weighted touch?). So the body attitude/posture stays forward, weight never shifts off the balls of the feet.

Jenn, for much fun, google shim sham footwork. And find a vernacular jazz steps teacher (not so easy to do). Changed my life.

17. pygmalion

:lol: :lol: I had a feeling you were setting me up. You knew I couldn't resist asking! :lol:

Will definitely google. :D

18. d nice

d nice New Member

The description is good... you stomp-off on &8 generally to start it off, that way your partner can pick it up on the 1... which is what Sue described.

19. Vince A

Vince A Active Member

I do too! Nothing like "hitting the breaks."
    However, they all don't have to be a 'stop and pose' break. Anything you can (while dancing) can be done at the "break."

Pose, walking the rest of the count out, a dip, a slide, a moonwalk, multiple turns and getting the follow out and ready for the next count with the music, stepping out a pattern at the break . . . are just a few!