Favorite Waltz Music

Discussion in 'Ballroom Dance' started by DanceMentor, Feb 22, 2004.

1. DanceMentor

DanceMentor Administrator

I've always had a difficult time finding Waltz music that is exciting and inspirational. Too often the music sounds goofy or sad or elevator.

There are a couple that I really like now:

Nocturne and Papillon

There are several different versions of both of these that are good, but my version of Papillon is by the Olympic Standard Orchestra and Nocturne is Dancelife feat Bodane.

2. dancin_feet

dancin_feet New Member

I would be very interested in this as well. Being a non-traditionalist, I don't hate traditional waltz music, just prefer something a bit different or a bit more modern.

Looking forward to replies.

3. etchuck

etchuck New Member

My list

I do a lot of waltz, even contra waltz, so some of my choices reflect the few times I've been to vintage dances and danced to some of their music.

On my personal waltz playlist (or list of favorites):
    Open Arms by Journey
    Rainbow Connection (yes, the one with Kermit singing)
    Is It You (Shrek soundtrack), covered by Casaphon (Ballroom Fantasy)
    If You Don't Know Me By Now
    Que Sera Sera (the version by Pink Martini is really cool)
    Lover's Waltz by Ungar and Mason (found on James Galway's A Song of Home)

Viennese waltz favorites
    Amelie waltz
    Once Upon a December (Anastacia soundtrack), covered by Casaphon (Ballroom Swing I think), but the original is a favorite
    Piano Man by Billy Joel
    Oh Jean by the Proclaimers (if you really like dancing VW)
    Erin Shore waltz by The Coors (really one of my favorites, especially after the drum section... if you don't feel inspired and uplifted after that)

4. superbimmer

superbimmer Member

Two wonderful Waltzs . . . both by Secret Garden:

"Greenwaves" from Once in a Red Moon

"Serenade to Spring" from Songs from A Secret Garden

Both are extremely moving, and beautiful ... great for showcases!

5. tsb

tsb Well-Known Member

if you want different, try baka beyond's meeting of tribes off their 'the meeting pool' album. the tempo is a little fast, but a lot of energy with the african drums.

6. Medira

Medira New Member

*bump!*

I'm looking for waltz music that can be fun to choreograph a full (3-ish minute) routine to...and I haven't found anything that really rings my bell yet.

Suggestions?

7. swan

swan Member

I don't have clips for this CD (contemplating on getting one myself). But I remember there are a couple of really nice waltzes & very different (instrumental pieces, no vocal) in "The Last Summer" by Artemy Savchenko. You can buy it on dancesport-international.com

The only clip I found on the web was not good - it was the showpiece version of The Last Summer on one of the ballroom CDs. I think I like Snow White (first song) & the Nocturne better on that CD.

If anyone has this CD, would you please be so kind to make a few 10 sec clips for us to preview? :) :) :)

8. VTDancer

VTDancer Member

"Once You Had Gold" by Enya is a beautiful slow waltz. We used in once for a demonstration. It does have some subtle tempo changes that can be tricky, but it is worth the effort.

9. Medira

Medira New Member

Oooh, I love music that isn't just strict tempo. It makes the dance so much more interesting. I wonder if he could handle it...

Thanks for the suggestion!

Keep them coming people. :)

10. tsb

tsb Well-Known Member

Try david sanborn's cover of randy newman's "same girl": sad, lots of rubato. but it's only about 2:15... there are vocal covers that also might work, trina broussard & holly cole come to mind, or the original version on "welcome to paradise" (1983)

11. Threefallaways

Threefallaways New Member

12. Joe

Joe Well-Known Member

You really should buy Secret Garden's "Earthsongs" CD. Try to get the import version which has (I think) 3 tracks no included in the US version.

13. cornutt

cornutt Well-Known Member

14. ThreeStep

ThreeStep New Member

That one they had on DWTS tonight for the "smooth waltz" was nice. I've heard it before, but it's been awhile since I have.

*heads off to find it and burn it*

ThreeStep
    (burning man)

15. tsb

tsb Well-Known Member

you can also try "lucky" by bif naked. i think it's on "I bificus".

16. Medira

Medira New Member

"You Light up my Life" performed by pretty much anybody you can think of. ;) :)

17. Medira

Medira New Member

Ooh hey! I had forgotten about that one. Thanks! :)

18. ThreeStep

ThreeStep New Member

No, that was last week's waltz. Last night it was something different.

19. Medira

Medira New Member

Erm...I think we're talking about two different shows. I thought you meant "Dancing With the Stars" (the Dance-off), which I saw, whereas I think you're talking about "So You Think You Can Dance", which I missed and forgot to tape. So I can't help you there...

20. Medira

Medira New Member

Yaaaay Google!

Kamilah/Blake - Toma - Pitbull

^^^ is that it?