Swing Discussion Boards > favourite song to dance shim sham too

Discussion in 'Swing Discussion Boards' started by luh, May 7, 2005.

1. luh

luh Active Member

hi
    i wanted to ask you guys what song you learned shim sham to, and which one is your favourite to dance to.
    I learned it to pennsylvania 6-5000 by Brian Setzer. But since i was in a town in switzerland dancing, they did it to another song, and the vid i downloaded (look at the other thread), it seemed to me if people do it to quite a few different songs.
    So what are your favourites?
    luh

2. Sagitta

Sagitta Well-Known Member

Doesn't seem there are a lot of swing people around. :?

3. luh

luh Active Member

yeah :? maybe all dancing? let's hope there are gonna be some answers here.
    luh

4. Cruelshoes

Cruelshoes New Member

The two I use when I DJ:

1. The Shim Sham Song by the Bill Elliott Swing Orchestra

2. Tain't Whatcha Do - Jimmie Lunceford

The second is more traditional and the first was written and performed with the Shim Sham in mind. Music fits the breaks and stylings.

5. Sagitta

Sagitta Well-Known Member

Thanks cruelshoes.

6. d nice

d nice New Member

Bill's song is great to teach it to, but it is mind-numbingly predictable and has that bouncy Glenn Miller big band feel that makes me want to disembowel myself.

"Stompin' at the Savoy" is the perinnial classic song for the dance amongst the lindy crowd. "T'ain't Watcha Do" is probably a close second, but there is a break in there that throws the timing off, and if you aren't aware of it things get a little "odd" musically. After those two songs the best song I know is "Tuxedo Junction" by Erskine Hawkins (please do everyone a favor and don't use the Glenn Miller version).

It actually works to any standard form Jazz Song (AABA), I like songs that are uptempo and creative.

7. pygmalion

pygmalion Well-Known Member

:lol: :lol: :lol:

8. natesaint

natesaint New Member

The board will not allow links at this time, but Glenn Crytzer's Savoy Seven patched up Tuxedo Junction for the Shim Sham. Check out the album "Uptown Jump (Bonus Tracks)" on bandcamp.com.