General Dance Discussion > Feel of a lead vs variety. Sensitive follows vs those who need more.

Discussion in 'General Dance Discussion' started by Mysticle31, Aug 10, 2012.

1. danceronice

danceronice Well-Known Member

Quite possibly Esperanto.

And opendoor, ballroom is its own thing with its own goals and desired outcome, so words that mean one thing in ballroom probably aren't going to be relevant to club or swing or AT.

Most American ballroom (ANY ballroom) stems out of the English school. That's where a lot of the terminology originates. And probably why ballroom has a lot more terms with commonly-accepted meanings. It's a competitive sport with a long history of being taught as such, hence even "street" dances like the Latin stuff getting codified and standardized so that there's some way both to teach it (not having a common vocabulary with accepted meanings makes effective teaching impossible) and to judge it, which has traditionally been the ultimate goal. More so as ballroom becomes less and less relevant as social dancing outside controlled studio settings.

2. Partner Dancer

Partner Dancer Well-Known Member

You are stuck in some literal warp. I'm referencing behavioral profiling.

3. Peaches

Peaches Well-Known Member

Where _did_ those goalposts go? I could swear they were here just a while ago. It's almost like they've been moved...

4. Joe

Joe Well-Known Member

Actually, PD is more like Lucy.

5. Peaches

Peaches Well-Known Member

Not quite what I meant.

6. basicarita

basicarita Member

You know what never ceases to boggle my mind about this kind of discussion?

When people think it's a "natural" expectation to be able to read their partners and the lead/follow they like right off the bat.

Why would it be? Nothing else in life works that way.

Why do people seem so adverse to having a little bit -- just a little bit -- of conversation with a prospective partner before dragging them out on the dance floor and potentially dislocating their shoulder, just because they didn't feel like taking the time beforehand to find out what kind of lead the follow works with well and enjoys?

o_O

I just ... kind of don't get it.

7. opendoor

opendoor Well-Known Member

hi basicarita, perhaps I haven´t got all those shades and overtones (I am no native speaker) but, are you just going to question

-my leading capabilities,
    -my diagnostic look,
    -my aptitude to let a woman feel comfortable in my arms???

8. snapdancer

snapdancer Well-Known Member

basicarita said:
    I have to disagree with you to to some extent. I'm a lead who social dances with a number of different follows (even women whose husbands may be present). So I'm able to do some of this "reading" without a verbal conversation.

Often times, I have their skill level mostly figured out before we even start moving. Based on how they initially connect, how balanced they are. And with a new partner, I don't start off leading my most difficult patterns. First I see how they handle the simpler ones.

Dancing is communication. The communication path is more kinesthetic more than verbal or visual. Maybe you need to develop that communication path. I know I have more development to do in that area.

9. cornutt

cornutt Well-Known Member

I agree. I dance with a lot of different partners too, and I can tell a lot about a new partner just based on her frame. When I want to ask someone that I haven't danced with or seen dance before, I'll avoid dances like VW or cha-cha, and wait for something with a fairly simple basic, like rumba or (bronze American) waltz.

And even if she is an experienced dancer, I'm probably not going to lead anything complicated the first time out, if she hasn't been dancing at our studio. The issue there is that with the profusion of American style syllabi these days, even if she's experienced, there's a good chance that she doesn't know the same advanced steps that I know. And for the most part, the advanced steps are the steps I've learned most recently, which means my lead is not as good. I'd rather dance a good satisfying bronze than a silver train wreck, and she probably feels the same way.

10. opendoor

opendoor Well-Known Member

That´s not that difficult. Have you tried single mothers?

11. toothlesstiger

toothlesstiger Well-Known Member

I don't understand, why should leading ladies whose husbands are present, or single mothers, present any additional difficulty? If anything, I've found them easier to lead.

opendoor likes this.
  12. snapdancer

mmm... don't see how my earlier message about dancing married women could be interpreted as a comment on their dancing skills. Some are good, others not so good. As a generalization, the not-so-good ones are those (married or single) who dance almost exclusively with their SO.

13. Sagitta

Sagitta Well-Known Member

A good point that I agree with. One can communicate in more then one way. For some verbal connection before actually dancing is more important than others. If you wish to talk first a bit or more you can make it known easily in how you respond.

Just the other night a great song started that I wanted to start moving to right away, and I so ran over to someone and asked, "May I have the pleasure of a dance?" She took my hand, as if agreeing, but she resisted moving and replied with, Hi there, my name is Sam, what's yours? And so I replied, we had a bit back and forth while my feet moved to the music a bit, and then I pointed to the dance floor again, and she said, "Let's go".

14. snapdancer

Seems to me your verbal interaction was more of an ice-breaker or introduction. Rather than interrogating each other as to relative dance ability.

Usually before dancing with someone new, I've been dancing around with others for the first part of the evening. So they may have an idea of what I'm about dance-wise if they've been waiting for someone to ask them.

15. Sagitta

Sagitta Well-Known Member

True. I was just continuing the idea of different types of communication. I usually do whatever I feel like when starting to dance, and that can be right from the moment I start taking my partner to where I want us to dance on the dance floor. For example, I started doing a bachata with Joceyln yesterday night, noticed that it was a tad crowded and quickly did a bachata walk to a better spot on the dance floor. If she didn't follow or seemed to not enjoying it I would have quickly changed how I moved from one spot to another. Some may prefer an extensive verbal interrogation. I happen to enjoy figuring things out on the dance floor. I don't have any preconceived notions of what any dance should be like, based on what the musical genre is. I have just done moves with someone who didn't have a clue how to dance. Both of us enjoyed it though it wasn't salsa dancing and it was a salsa song.