General Dance Discussion > Female dancer equals prostitute. Come again?

Discussion in 'General Dance Discussion' started by Twilight_Elena, Jul 6, 2005.

1. Twilight_Elena

Twilight_Elena Well-Known Member

An another thread, one of our members mentioned that her boyfriend thinks dancing is slutty. Then I remembered what a teacher of mine had told me, how guys always paid more attention the moment she mentioned she was a dancer.
    All this led me to think: is that what all non-dancers think? That dancing is, more or less, a step before whoring yourself out? What are your thoughts on this? What leads people to believe professional dancers are sure to be easy in bed, to say the least? And how does one make sure she doesn't fall victim of that belief?

Twilight Elena

2. squirrel

squirrel New Member

:lol:

People who think that have no brains if you ask me...

3. Twilight_Elena

Twilight_Elena Well-Known Member

I agree, squirrel, but it's such a common belief it gets me thinking there must be something else behind it other than ordinary stupidity.

Twilight Elena

4. Dave

Dave New Member

Funny - I just know at some point this thread and the How are YOU financing your dancing? threads are going to end up next to each other on the active list...

As to the original question - depends a lot on context, I think. Maybe he was thinking of go-go dancers? Or maybe he'd seen a bunch of latin dancers in competition outfits? When "Joe Public" thinks of a dancer, I'm not sure ballroom is the first thing that comes into his head.

5. squirrel

squirrel New Member

Dancing is probably associated with mating... and we all know how hypocritical and narrow-minded people can be about that...

Think - how has dancing affected the way you relate to people physically?

I used to hate being touched and kissed on the cheek.... now I cuddle with my friends and kiss them each time we meet... :)

6. MacMoto

MacMoto Active Member

No -- I assume the thread T_E is referring to is :arrow: this , which is about competitive ballroom dancing. Okay, the bit about latin costume may be pertinent, but I believe the guy was talking mainly about his girlfriend dancing in close bodily contact with another man.

I think Squirrel has a point about mating association... outside the dancing community, dance is very much a mating ritual. You go to a club, look for a cute girl/guy and ask her/him to dance to signal your interest :roll: in the person. In this type of situation, dancing is just a means to an end, not an end in itself. So people who consider dance only this way do not understand why their SO would possibly want to continue dancing (with other people :shock: ) when you are already attached.

7. dancersdreamland

dancersdreamland New Member

I think some people are very naive (not sure of spelling) to the dance world and don't realize the extend of what can go into dancing. Some people's only exposure to dancing is slutty club dancing (not that all club dancing is slutty) or strip dancing (which is not alway slutty either). I think its really a lack of education on the subject.

On the same note...many people place all cheerleaders in the category of "ditz" when that just isn't the case. Again, I think it's a lack of education.

That's why its so important for those of us in the dance world to make sure we're projecting the right image and setting the record straight to dispell such horrible myths.

Additionally, I think the media world has a huge impact and influence on how the world views dance. If all people see in movies and on tv are slutty dancers and ditzy cheerleaders, that's all they're going to know.

8. Milonguita

Milonguita New Member

Well, in some cases it does. At least historically.

I dance A.T., and one of the stories in tango is that the original tango dancers were women of loose morals from the cabarets and brothels of Buenos Aires. In fact, there's even a name for them, which has roots in the word milonga (a predecessor of tango) and it is... milonguita. (Yes, I know it's my nickname, but I chose it for the song, not for the meaning...).

Part of the reson people unfamiliar with history may think that dancing equals prostitution is the switching of partners during social dancing in some of the dances, such as A.T. and salsa. There is some intimate contact with your partner, and when that happens with several men in a row some misguided souls may think it's the mark of an "easy" woman.

9. Sagitta

Sagitta Well-Known Member

Well, as long as the women wanna to continue "whoring" with me I don't really care. Never heard what you are talking about T-E, except from my parent's general, and some fundamentalists..though.

10. BrookeErin

BrookeErin New Member

I figured the men perked up at the mention that a woman is a dancer not because they are thinking that she is necessarily "easy" but of all the things she can easily do. Wouldn't flexibility be key to kama sutra? :shock: :oops: (I wouldn't know) I have a friend who says that they way one dances is the way they make love... and there is always the beauty and elegance associate with dancing.

11. Angelo

Angelo Member

Do women "perk up" as you put it, at the mention that a man is a dancer?

12. Sagitta

Sagitta Well-Known Member

Do they?

13. dancersdreamland

dancersdreamland New Member

No real affect (or is it effect?) on me...

BTW...Milonguita - I LOVE your avitar image!

14. DancingMommy

DancingMommy Active Member

Well, when I worked for one boss, he "suggested" I wear shorter skirts to "show more leg" to "get the guys to sign up for morre lessons". At that moment I did feel like I was being pimped. I ended up wearing pants and longs skirts from that day forward.

I think that the bad apples in the barrel have made this stereotype. And it's the good apples like Larinda, DanceMentor and our coach, Rick, who will turn the tide.

15. luh

luh Active Member

this is pretty close to the "guy is dancing " - thread, just for the opposite sex, isn't it?
    luh

16. yola

yola New Member

hahahaaha, most (non dancing) women ''perk down" (don't know the opposit of perking up) when they hear a man's a dancer ... coz you know.... a man who dances... he múst be....:wink: :wink: :wink:
    hahahaha

on the other hand, my mom :)!:) told me to go for a dancer, as they were supposedly better at lovemaking...... (anyone care to comment on that?:wink: )

but seriously, i started dancing in a salsaclub, and a lot of the (african) men that came there late in the evening, thought of the women as easy and sluts.
    I can understand why. It was certainly not because it was true of the women there, or due to their behaviour. But because in theír home countries, no respectable woman would a) dance in close bodily contact with a man, and b) not even if he was their own husband, and c) certainly not in public, and d) no respectable woman would be there, on her own, in the first place!!!
    So what were all those nice young single women doing there without male companions?

17. Laura

Laura New Member

So girls who dance are sluts, and guys who dance are gay. Sounds JUST LIKE junior-high to me. Oy vey, don't people ever grow up?

18. BrookeErin

BrookeErin New Member

well, I did date a (professional) dancer for a while... Part of me did "perk down" because I've had experience with other performers in the past and did not think I wanted to get involved with that again. It ended up being a very good experience for me until the job took him elsewhere for a few months.

I would agree that women who don't consider themselves dancers would "perk down" at the idea of dating a dancer. I think as a women who is a dancer, I would enjoy dating a man who was a social dancer (but I wouldn't necessarily look for a professional). I want someone who will go out with me, dance with me, and let me dance with others. If he only dances two songs with me and watches the rest of the time, but still has fun that's fine.

I guess I still think I want someone who will take me out dancing AND stay home and watch (American) football with me. I find that to be a rare combination (and it was something that my "professional" had).

19. saludas

saludas New Member

Your mom is right.

BTW, is your father a dancer?

20. lynn

lynn New Member

Interesting questions, here's my $0.02 from a totally different perspective.

I'm from a very conservative family where dancing is very much frowned upon. Girls who dance are pretty much automatically labelled as "wh***" (with the exception of waltz, of course. Apparently, not all ballroom dances are created equal, go figure!).

My mom started taking dance lessons 2 years ago because she joined a province wide sports competition and found out that she was the only person who couldn't dance and was totally embarrassed in the party afterwards. She dare not tell my dad or anyone else in the family about it. She does have one justification for her dancing: she only dances with women! Eventhough she's kind of a social dancer now, she's still very critical of girls who wear skimpy outfits or have overly excessive body contacts when dancing. To give you guys an idea, she was watching Dancing with the Stars with me and she kept on picking on Kelly's outfit and insisting that she'd never dance like that (of course, she neither has the stamina nor the flexibility!)

The bottom line is, I've started dancing a couple of months ago and so far the only person I can share it with is my brother. It's a shame to not be able to share such a passion with your family.