General Dance Discussion > Female dancer equals prostitute. Come again?

Discussion in 'General Dance Discussion' started by Twilight_Elena, Jul 6, 2005.

1. Sagitta

Sagitta Well-Known Member

Very few complaints or ladies who removed my hands from them... :?

2. Pebbles

Pebbles New Member

So guys who dance are players, while the women dancers are virtuous? Talk about a labeling attempt, all the more ironic considering the topic here. You forgot it also takes two to tango. For every guy playing their way around the dancing scene, there is a woman, or many women, playing it with him.

3. africana

africana New Member

I didn't say that about all guy dancers or all women dancers

But hey if it feels better, skew all you want

4. Athena

Athena New Member

hmmm

So, in sum, dancers are seen (from the cold, dark world outside) mainly as a place where you get intimate with strangers, dress and act in a flirtatious manner, constantly switch partners, go out at night... As well, dancers have sex appeal because they move well, are flexible and have a sense of rhythm. Furthermore, the characteristics of dancers include attention-loving, flirtiness, passion... etc and etc.

So I can understand why the word 'dancer' is shrouded in sex appeal. Indeed, Rumba seems to me sometimes just like sex on the dance floor, and where else can you get so close to a stranger? But promiscuity? I suppose that such a perspective simply emerged from the association of sexiness, flirtation and intimacy with dance, with the fire ignited by the ignorance of the public that it isn't always such and is rarely more.

5. Bunny

Bunny New Member

well for someone to say that...im not sure what the hell motivates it

I think post modern day citizens feel dancing as a common occurance and people just accept it! A few decades ago in some religious places dancing was totally forbidden because it was seen as being a 'pleasure' and therefore shouldn't be done. Perhaps this ties in with the fact that if a woman is doing something as pleasureable as dancing, what else might she love doing that pleasureable??

I totally do not think that! But you'd be suprised how many people still think that.

I think some men and or women are intimidated by women that love to express themselves and have fun through dance...intimated? yes...jealous? definitly!

I think also its quite acceptable to make the assumption that women that dance love to have fun! Men love that! And what happens when women get attention from men?? Enter the title 'skank' or 'slut'

Its also fair to say that women that dance are more than likely to be flexible....use your imaginations there. Some might think women use this attaction to lure men, to ignite lust....passion even??

ahh so many points, opinions and ideals to discuss but certainly not enough time!

6. squirrel

squirrel New Member

@africana

:) I'd say women are as much interested in getting involved as are men who dance Salsa.

The thing is most men who are interested in picking up girls are just after "one night stands" while women are interested in "relatinoships"...

I've seen aggressive women in the club, many of them They see a guy is a good dancer and just go after him... talk about hands all over! :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: And the guy was holding hands with his GF! :)

Men can be as much harrassed as women are. I'd say some people are like that, no matter their gender. :)

And what can you expect more when you think about the lyrics of Salsa songs... "Desnudate mujer..." :lol:

7. HF

HF New Member

Nice one :D

8. MacMoto

MacMoto Active Member

I don't think salsa clubs are full of players. There are players, yes, but in my scene they are a minority. Most guys are perfectly decent people out to enjoy dancing. Many are also there hoping to meet women in the scene, but that doesn't make them players.

9. Backstreet

Backstreet New Member

I don't think men pay you more attention when you mention you are a dancer because they think you are easy. I think they do it because dancing is usually attributed with sex.

I remember I was in one of my hip-hop classes at my college. We had a bunch of girls watching us perform one of our routines. I remember over hearing one of their conversations:

Remember, this is from a GIRL's mouth: "He is such a good dancer you KNOW he has to be good in bed!"

Thus, if one side of the spectrum can think this way I am sure the other can as well.

I am male and I am more attracted to women that dance. It might because I myself am interested in dance or it might be me thinking this thought in the back of my head.

Ultimately, dancing is a very beautiful thing. It also attributes itself with things like self-confidence, attitude, and physical fitness which many people find attractive.

10. Sabor

Sabor New Member

easy in bed? :lol: .. i think u meant easy to take to bed there..? cause easy in bed may imply 'easy going' in bed which is actually a good attribute as opposed to being difficult :lol:

well.. hmm.. since i dont think i'm 'easy to take to bed' given my level and time in dance.. i would definitely persume that this issue is very simply ridiculous :mrgreen:

11. kdogg

kdogg New Member

I don't think that majority of people holds the view that female dancers are easy. Most of the people who makes such comments are insecure and jealous either because they don't appreciate the beauty of dance or don't share the same passion for dancing as their female partners (girlfriends, wives). I'm sure some female dancers act cheap, but that reflects individual character not the collective character of the female dancers. There are many decent dancers both male and female who appreciate dancing and share the joy of dancing with others.

12. yola

yola New Member

hahaaha, i've heard it rumoured that's why they play merengue/bachata/reggaeton at salsaevents: that's the only time salseras/salseros have time for sex.... it's called salsa quicky... :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

btw: love your new avatar, sabor hehehe

13. yola

yola New Member

hé!! i've reached 100 posts! didn't notice it! ha, now i can be in a df club as well yeeeee!

14. Sabor

Sabor New Member

i'm not naughty so i dont know what u r talking about :eyebrow:

i think u mean the signature pic..? mucho merci :D

15. africana

africana New Member

:shock: what you girlz eatin over there in romania :?:

well as they say, "there is no smoke without fire", whatever position one takes on this issue ;)

16. Athena

Athena New Member

Side comment - I know someone who got into salsa because of a girl, and not only fell in love with the dance and became a teacher, but also married the girl :)

17. alemana

alemana New Member

the idea of the 'salsa quickie' is funny, but it's also funny that the thought *never* occurred to me. not only do i not have sex on the brain when i'm dancing, i rarely see cruising or such behavior, and i have never witnessed a makeout session at a dance venue.

we're a little too serious about our salsa here in new york, i think!

18. Ron Obvious

Ron Obvious New Member

Well, you were comparing guy and women dancers, that's a generalisation even if you don't explicitly state you mean all of them. Your're still talking about them as groups.

A friends of mine says all women are prostitutes. It just depends how much you have to pay them (and how long).

* runs for cover *

19. cocodrilo

cocodrilo New Member

You keep company with people that say things like that? :eyebrow:

20. africana

africana New Member

1- re-read what I wrote.
    2 - I was talking about SALSEROS and SALSERAS not DANCERS in general
    3- i made it clear that I am speaking from MY observations in various cities and salsa scenes. and like it or not, they have been corraborated by many many other salsa dancers as well