Tango Argentino > Female leads in Argentine Tango

Discussion in 'Tango Argentino' started by MadamSamba, Jan 23, 2004.

1. MadamSamba

MadamSamba Member

Hi, folks...just a quick note to pick your expert AT brains.

Until I started learning it myself, I was always told that the AT was the only dance with a female lead. However, according to the people who currently teach me (real Argentines, probably the most respected and awarded AT teachers in Australia), that's not true. The male leads.

Just wondering where the confusion stems from and what the real story is.

2. looyenyeo

looyenyeo New Member

Male followers

Historically, it was the other way 'round.

At the turn of the 19th century in Argentina, men outnumbered women 50:1. Men would practice amongst themselves to improve their dancing, in a quest for womens' favours. Men who could follow well were very highly sought after.

You can still this theme in some tango shows.

Regards,
    Loo

3. bordertangoman

bordertangoman Well-Known Member

I've never heard this. I know of women who can take the man's role in a couple but the lead is the man. Having said this every lead a man gives is an invitation for the woman to take so there is constant give and take. The woman can add her adornments and, in such moves as the ochos, she can decide on the speed at which she carries out the step. :evil:

4. MadamSamba

MadamSamba Member

Hmm...thanks for the feedback, guys...it's odd that I've heard it from so many people. I'm looking into it by backtracking from the people who've told me it. Hopefully I'll get an answer soon. In the mean time, I'll go with what I know, with the male leading.

5. pygmalion

pygmalion Well-Known Member

Interesting topic, MadamSamba!

Needless to say, my google instinct was set off, and a I found a pertinent thread on tango-L. It's not as simple as I thought. Not at all. (Actually, I believe will35 alluded to this in a thread a couple months back. Maybe he can help us here with the historical info you seek.)

In the meanwhile, here are a couple excerpts from the tango-L discussion. Apparently, the female lead/not to lead debate is alive and well.

And the reply
    And another reply

Interesting stuff, isn't it? :wink:

6. pygmalion

pygmalion Well-Known Member