Ballroom Dance > Finding a Dance Partner

Discussion in 'Ballroom Dance' started by Flyingkamakiri, May 13, 2015.

1. I haven't seen any recent posts about this on the forum and this didn't seem like something to bring up on the dance ads section. So, I work at a dance shoe store, and very often I get asked about ways to find a dance partner for competition/practice. I usually recommend the obvious choices like ballroomdancers.com, dancepartner.com, and the Dance Partner search on Facebook. However, outside of those options I have no idea how else to help some of these dancers or where I can direct them to post up ads for themselves. Does anyone have any better suggestions?

2. Dancing Irishman

Dancing Irishman Well-Known Member

Network like mad. The reality is the majority of folks potentially interested in a dance partner won't be on any of those websites. Ideally, the person seeking a partner's teacher will be well-connected in the community and able to reach out to his/her contacts to find out if there's anyone looking for a partner who would be compatible with the student looking. If one doesn't have a teacher so well-connected, one can make an effort to meet local teachers themselves who have students in the genre one's looking for. I've met both of my current partners through a teacher connection like this.

3. MaggieMoves

MaggieMoves Well-Known Member

Definitely the best way. I had my best luck actually through a pro that hooked me up with a fellow amateur on Facebook.

4. Thanks for the tips! I'll let others know and see if I can help improve people's chances. I guess I gotta be careful about it since teachers in our area seem to get very territorial and I don't want to step on any toes.

5. FancyFeet

FancyFeet Well-Known Member

Agreed. I have ads up, but had a long chat with pro on Friday about really wanting to switch to am-am to have something to work for, and about needing his help to do it. The plan for the summer months has been modified to increase the likelihood of this happening, and to start working the pro network.

Dancing Irishman likes this.
  6. Dancing Irishman

Dancing Irishman Well-Known Member

Best of luck! Based on the rigor of your practice regimen, I'd wager any lead would be lucky to land a partnership with you!!!! (...which is not to say there won't be growing pains with adjusting to am/am)