General Dance Discussion > Finding love and romance on the dancefloor?

Discussion in 'General Dance Discussion' started by pygmalion, Feb 6, 2004.

1. Sagitta

Sagitta Well-Known Member

Thanks for the permission!! :)

2. Swing Kitten

Swing Kitten New Member

it's all opinion Sagitta :p

people are going to do what they will

3. Sagitta

Sagitta Well-Known Member

Oh!! :( :) :wink:

4. Sarah

Sarah New Member

The writer of `Shakespear in Love' has stated in at least one interview that I have seen that he really didn't know anything about, nor did he do much research into, the life and times of Shakespear, so this inaccuracy is, shall we say, hardly surprising.

Cheers
    Sarah

5. Swing Kitten

Swing Kitten New Member

I suppose so... but they included a small role of a somewhat obscure future playwright ... his name escapes me at the momonet.... in the movie his the kid that lets the cat out of the bag-- he mentions his name and that he really like Titus Andronicus-- the exact type of play that he would nearly exlcusively write. ... there's some dramturgy there!

6. danceguy

danceguy New Member

Yes, you are right SK. As long as both people are free to pursue the relationship without any strings attached...hurting others or being involved with others is not a relationship in my book...rather, a convenience. :?

It amazes me just how people think of themselves as "single"...yet they have no true concept of the word. To me, its being both physically and emotionally unattached to anyone in particular, and free to allow someone new to get to know you and perhaps develop into more.

I'm pretty strict when it comes to dating...if someone shows an interest to become romantically involved with me...there better be no strings attached. If not, then they get the boot and that's it, I have no time to get caught up in "emotional spaghetti"...been there, done that, not for me! :shock:

Of course, there are exceptions to everything...

Ok, off the soapbox. :D

SG

7. tsb

tsb Well-Known Member

and if they're brother and sister - or one of them is michael jackson? ugh.

8. pygmalion

pygmalion Well-Known Member

:lol: :lol: Both of those scenarios seem mighty hurtful to me. LOL.

9. tsb

tsb Well-Known Member

i bet that in either scernario both people say "but we're not hurting anyone!". using just feelings is generally not a good barometer because feelings are transitory and completely subjective to boot. who's to say that both people feeling good isn't due entirely to the dessert they both just had? :lol:

10. Christina75

Christina75 New Member

I'm afraid I might be deviating from the direction the thread has taken or maybe just putting a new spin on the topic...but I can't help but throw my two cents in.

This topic reminds me of when I first started taking dance lessons during my junior year of college. My roommate and I would go to this local ballroom that had group lessons and open dances because we couldn't afford private lessons. Also dancing at this studio was a guy who I thought was absolutely adorable. I remember he was from eastern Europe (Russia I think) and he used to take my breath away with his dancing (the accent got me too) :wink: Best of all was that he always seemed to flirt and chat with me. I probably would have sold my textbooks if necessary just to keep going to those dances. Now here's the problem: He was 18 and a senior in high school. (I was 21) I remember everytime I would start gushing about him, my roommate would roll her eyes and say "but he's in HIGH SCHOOL!" She eventually wore me down and I let the idea drop and moved on from taking lessons and dancing at that ballroom.

So mine's not a tale of romance but rather a shoulda, woulda, coulda. He could have been prince charming, or then again he could have turned out to be a jerk...but I'll never know :?

Christina

11. pygmalion

What a pity. He sounds like a heart throb. And a three year age difference, doesn't make that much difference. Although, in all fairness, it makes much more difference at 21/18 than at 31/28. Who knows why these things happen the way they do?

12. Sabor

Sabor New Member

13. pygmalion

Yup. Romance, or its illusion, is part of the dance itself, whether or not there's any further relationship.

14. Sabor

Sabor New Member

si.. life is about the illusion of control.. therefore life is illusion.. therefore romance is illusion.. que no?

pls. dont ask me what that means cause i have no idea! :lol:

15. bordertangoman

bordertangoman Well-Known Member

"The course of true love never did run smooth"
    W. Shakespeare.

There is enough written here for a short romantic novel..... so I'll kick it off with...

Once upona time there was a beuatiful princess who lived alone in a castle. More than anything else she longed to dance, for she had watched the Court Balls since she was a child and loved to watch the figures glide and pirhoueete in their splendid costumes.

What happens next? I'll leave that to you....

16. tsb

tsb Well-Known Member

plagarizing what is probably an urban myth....

Meanwhile, hundreds of miles above the castle, a squadron of alien battle cruisers powered up their weapons and prepared to vaporize the planet below.....

17. salsachinita

salsachinita New Member

:idea: you guys have just given me an idea for a new fun thread..... :idea:

18. pygmalion

It better not be in salsa! :shock: :tongue:

19. danceguy

danceguy New Member

Did someone say Salsa? Yes....:D

Boriken - we should start one there too! ;)

20. Genesius Redux

Genesius Redux New Member

So what is it with the Slavic thing? Why is it that guys can say the most incredibly inane things, but if they do it with a Russian (or English, or Irish) accent, the girls start to swoon? Being an unregenerate New York Italian boy, I don't understand these things.

Anyway, how can you possibly fall in love on the dance floor? Especially in smooth? You're not even supposed to look at each other!

Which reminds me of another urban legend. Did you hear the one about the smooth dancers who competed for years together? Then one day they met in a coffee shop and fell in love.

Cheers,

Genesius