Tango Argentino > Finding Partners at Milongas

Discussion in 'Tango Argentino' started by Gssh, Feb 14, 2017.

1. newbie

newbie Well-Known Member

Errrr... La Catedral, Canning, the late Porteno y bailarin... not much light over there.
    JanTango, mind enlightening us?

2. tangomaniac

tangomaniac Active Member

There was plenty of light at El Arranque, Gricel, Milonga de los Consagrados, Lo de Celia Tango club and I think I've forgotten one. It's impossible to visit every single location in the city.

3. Lilly_of_the_valley

Lilly_of_the_valley Well-Known Member

Some BA milongas have the light on at the beginning of a tanda, so people can see and cabeceo prospective partners, and deem it later on.

4. opendoor

opendoor Well-Known Member

Uffff Gssh! There are so many different approaches to tango, some go to a milonga for dancing, other go to a milonga just to talk, others will have a drink. I for one, don't like dancing at a milonga, I want to meet my crowd. Tango isn't just a dance, it's a way of life.

Reuven Thetanguero and sixela like this.
  5. sixela

sixela Well-Known Member

Of course. That's why there's never a bar, and never tables that can seat more than one ;-).

Seriously, milongas come in all shapes and sizes, including those in which the neighbourhood comes and chats at big tables where friends meet and _occasionally_ dance.

6. Lilly_of_the_valley

In a milonga one may comfortably dance, watch, listen to music, eat/drink, and socialize when they chose. That's why there is (or supposed to be) some kind of an organized space. There may not be separate and assigned seating, but if, for example, people drink, snack and chat standing directly on the dance floor no good dancer would patronize such a milonga in the long run.

Reuven Thetanguero and sixela like this.
  7. Gssh

Gssh Well-Known Member

Sure - though i have yet to see anybody worry about how to get a drink at a milonga as a beginning leader. ;) Talking is a different question - if the milonga is a "asking" milonga then feeling out peoples interest in being asked for a dance by having a conversation first works pretty well - that is why i asked Reuven for how he approaches strangers at milongas.

I mean, everybody who has been in tango for more than a few years has obviously figured out how to enjoy this dance, its community, and the milongas - else we wouldn't be here. So we are really trying to share strategies with people who are newer, or who have reached one of the points where the shininess has rubbed off, and it doesnt seem that there is anythign worhtwhile below the glitter has any value.

Last edited: Feb 16, 2017
    opendoor and Reuven Thetanguero like this.
  8. Vincenze

Vincenze Member

That's why a person who is new in a community should check photos of a milonga place before going there.

A place that has a bar and tables, especially multiple rows of tables, will be a snobbish milonga for people who know each other.
    It'll be snobbish because it'll be difficult for a man to approach women there. If a man has to go far to the second row of tables, then everybody will be able to see his failures inviting women. He'll avoid such situations by inviting only his friends.

A good milonga place will have rows of chairs or sofas around the walls without tables or with tiny tables. If a man fails to invite a woman there, he'll be able to quickly step to another woman and nobody will notice.

9. jantango

jantango Active Member

It was a pleasure meeting you and Amparo during your short visit to Buenos Aires and dancing a few tandas with you. I assumed that anyone coming from the New York scene was accustomed to inviting a woman with a head movement, so I was totally shocked when you told me you use a verbal invitation everywhere you dance tango. I realized later that I sent two innocent sheep into the den of wolves on your first night at Cachirulo where all the rules are posted in several languages on the wall; cabeceo is on the list.

Reuven, you were such a good sport about it in El Maipu. You invited your wife, me and two Argentine women for tandas from your table. There is no reason to feel bad that two women got up. They wanted to dance, and one was an eager beaver who didn't notice you had your eye on another woman. It's no big deal, and it happens all the time.

You're used to socializing at the table with friends at your local milongas. Socializing between men and women in BA is done ON the dance floor (even while dancing). I wish that wasn't the case, especially when I'm dancing a Di Sarli tanda -- I'd rather hear the music than all the talking around me.

Reuven Thetanguero likes this.
  10. jantango

jantango Active Member

I'll try to enlighten you on the lighting in the milongas:

La Catedral -- I haven't been there in a very long time, but have seen videos. It's called "Catedral" for its very high ceiling which has no illumination whatsoever. It's an underground place that is very dark.

Salon Canning -- It's as traditional as it gets on Wednesday and Sundays when Canal en Rojo operates with all the lights on so that the dancers can see anyone in the entire salon. It's beautiful after the complete renovation in November.

Porteno y Bailarin in Castel club on Riobamba is closed.

El Arranque in Nuevo Salon La Argentina has excellent lighting for the senior crowd. Sorry to tell you that the last milonga is February 25th. Yes, yet another venue is closing. The owners sold the property and rumor has it that a developer is putting up a high rise building. Property near the national congress and theater district is extremely valuable. El Arranque ran for 17 years, three days a week. Juan Carlos La Falce is searching for a new location on the ground level so the older dancers don't have to climb the stairs. Obelisco Tango is available on Thursdays. We shall see.

Club Gricel -- good lighting everywhere in the salon.

Milonga de Los Consagrados -- The organizers know enough to turn on the lights, but other milongas in Centro Region Leonesa have the lights dimmed.

Lo de Celia -- has good lighting.

Lo de Elsita in La National -- another milonga where the organizer has the lights on.

Nuevo Chique in Casa de Galicia -- good lighting.

The older dancers who attend these milongas use the cabeceo, so lighting is crucial to them.

Reuven Thetanguero likes this.
  11. Thank you for being our guiding light on our visit to BA! It was also pleasure dancing with you at the Milongas. We are looking forward to exploring some future Milongas together with you.

12. sixela

sixela Well-Known Member

Again, you live a life full of imagined certainties.

Uhm -- I seem to remember having seen the word "cabeceo" in this thread. But hey, I must be mistaken.

At least there are a a couple of milongas where I will not ever have the 'pleasure' of meeting you.

Who exactly has anointed you the expert to decide once and for all what a "good" milonga is?

How exactly do you propose to make all the people who attend milongas with tables _and_ a bar (that includes me) see the light?

Except by throwing your pearls of wisdom on this very forum to let us bask in your radiance, that is?

Last edited: Feb 18, 2017
    jantango likes this.
  13. Lilly_of_the_valley

Eh... I am curious. The rows of tables, I understood what he got against them.
    But what the heck is wrong with the bar?? :D

14. sixela

sixela Well-Known Member

Please don't make him explain it...he just might indulge you.

15. Vincenze

Vincenze Member

Let's check photos of the same dance studio.

There are many tables, even double rows of them, lots of food and drinks.
    The space for dancing is tiny.
    People will come to eat, drink, socialize, but it'll be very difficult to invite somebody whom you don't know.

[​IMG]

The same place has no tables.
    It'll be a fun milonga. There will be not many places to sit. It'll be difficult to chat and socialize.
    You won't bump into each other when you do more interesting steps because the dancing area is bigger.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 19, 2017
  16. tangomaniac

tangomaniac Active Member

It doesn't make any difference the size of the floor, there will always be collisions because of bad leading. Last Saturday, an idiot lead his partner backward AGAINST THE LINE OF DANCE. Not surprisingly, the woman crashed into my partner.

A lot of trouble occurs on the floor from men who think they can lead interesting steps. They take up a lot of space and cause collisions.

The women I've spoken with said they are more interested in avoiding collisions than interesting figures.

17. Lilly_of_the_valley

I happen to know that studio, the owner is a friend of mine. The setup with balloons in the picture is not for a milonga. She rents out a studio for various kind of events. Next time I am there in a milonga I will take a picture. There is a single row of tables, and no chairs on the side of the dance floor. There is always food, wine, and more than enough places to sit for everyone present.

Last edited: Feb 19, 2017
  18. Lilly_of_the_valley

For example, that is a typical setup for a milonga at the mentioned studio:

19. sixela

sixela Well-Known Member

Quite.

Given the choice, BTW, I'd prefer the setup with two rows of tables to that with none for a milonga (minus the balloons, of course): it is probably going to encourage a more orderly ronda.

Unless, of course, that would make the floor too small for the number of people attending.

Of course the setup with just chairs at the side is superior for a real práctica where people are actually trying out stuff and stopping.

20. sixela

sixela Well-Known Member

Some floors promote an orderly ronda and some don't. Of course, there are always people who will create chaos no matter what.

If that was a big step backwards or more than one step back (or a huge step back and then a molinete sending the lady back), then you have my sympathies.

But you (the impersonal "you", not you in particular) should also leave room for the couple in front of you to at least do one small step backwards or a giro/molinete that does send his lady in your direction, though. If you really tailgate someone then you are endangering your partner, idiot in front or not.

What everyone should strive to do is try to divide the space between the antecessor and the successor couples, all the time, so that every couple has some wiggle room to navigate. And that includes some room for rotational moves, because leaders need to rotate in order to get an overview of where others are.

Last edited: Feb 20, 2017