Ballroom Dance > Videos > First Comp Intl Standard

Discussion in 'Videos' started by CTSalsa, Apr 15, 2009.

1. CTSalsa

CTSalsa New Member

Hi everyone! This is my first competition in standard. Any constructive criticism is welcome.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wxSXHkOG_gs

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=71rOxKJWaPA

2. latingal

latingal Moderator Staff Member

Welcome to DF CTSalsa!

Just so our members know, would you like comments on both leader and follower?

Also, congratulations on your first competition in standard! Did you enjoy?

I am not a standard expert, but I do hope those more qualified to comment will be along soon.

3. and123

and123 Well-Known Member

quick first impression: not enough lowering, so movement/shape/swing is limited; too vertical.

4. CTSalsa

CTSalsa New Member

Thank you for the welcom LG. I am the lead, but any comments on the follow is fine too. I agree with you and123. I was really nervous and concentrating on dancing my center so much that I think I looked rather stiff.

5. and123

and123 Well-Known Member

Better than NOT moving :p

Curious - what is "Pre-Novice"? Looked like some non-syllabus steps in there. If so, bonus points for attempting that level at your first Standard comp.

6. CTSalsa

CTSalsa New Member

"Better than Not moving." Ha ha ha. I was almost at that point. You should see the first round of waltz which I am too embarassed to post for the public to see. I was really nervous and kept forgetting the routine every time we ran into other couples on the floor. Basically we didn't get a chance to dance the 2nd half of the rountine. We pretty much repeated 2 step figures over and over. I was suprised we got called back.

At this particular event the categories were, bronze, silver, gold, pre-novice, novice, pre-champ, champ. I think at most comps, the rule for pre-novice is restricted to syllabus and the novice level allows open figures. But I think the rules are more relaxed at this comp or maybe it's just different. I don't know. Thank for the bonus points. They were fun steps to do. Although we're going to have to take them out of our routine for future comps, um... for various reasons. :oops:

7. SmartDancer

SmartDancer New Member

I like your pastures. I thought novice are the lowest level. May be it's different in Pro-Am competition. Any way, if "pre-novice" is higher than "gold" then that's about right. Pretty dress too!

8. samina

samina Well-Known Member

LoL...so true. as i've said a number of times before, i as little more than a bejeweled fire hydrant my first comp. ;)

good for you, CDSalsa. lovely partner...hope she's a keeper.

9. etp777

etp777 Active Member

CTSalsa, I dance Smooth/Rhythm myself, so can't judge anything technically, but like Samina, looks WAY better than video of my first comp. Definitely worth being proud of. :)

10. CTSalsa

CTSalsa New Member

Thank you every one for your comments. We have another comp this weekend. We have about a month of practice, so hopefully I'll be more at ease. I'll post some more videos after.

ETP and Smartdancer, thank you for your compliments. We have been working a lot on stretching our spines and proper postures and shaping. Makes me feel good some one noticed it. :) I don't know if pre-novice is higher than gold because, my guess is, gold steps are not allowed in pre-novice. But it is definitely not a beginer level. That I think is newcommer level. I'm not very knowledgeable in this, so hopefully some one else can chime in.

Thank you Samina. People compliment her to me a lot. She is a delightful partner and more advance than me in this style for sure. She picks things up very quickly. And unlike me, I think she's right-brained. The instructor only has to show something to her once or twice and she'll get it right away. Whereas, I'd have to analyze it to death.

11. Warren J. Dew

Warren J. Dew Well-Known Member

My reactions:

- The pepper pot is not one of your stronger figures, so I'd recommend not opening with it in quickstep.

- Your posture makes you look fat, which I don't think you actually are. Pull in that belly and tone the center.

12. Terpsichorean Clod

Terpsichorean Clod Moderator

Hope your comp went well! :)

13. CTSalsa

CTSalsa New Member

Horrible. I was still nervous. Still concentrating on moving center vs. feet, technique, etc.. It's weird when I looked at the video it didn't look like we moved very much and it looked stiffer than it felt. :confused:

14. Terpsichorean Clod

Terpsichorean Clod Moderator

I'm sorry to hear that! :hug: I'm sure the next one will be much better.

I've noticed that with my videos, too. They look so much more underwhelming than they felt.