Swing Discussion Boards > First Lindy Lesson -- What to Expect?

Discussion in 'Swing Discussion Boards' started by pygmalion, Jan 8, 2004.

1. pygmalion

pygmalion Well-Known Member

Okay, guys, I've finally broken down and found a place to take lindy lessons (group classes to start).

Any tips/pointers on what to expect, what to wear/bring, how to approach things, and even more important, how to tell if I'm getting good instruction or bad?

Anyone?

2. suek

suek New Member

Wear flat shoes that slide. I started in flat sueded or leather-soled dance shoes, now wear flat tennis shoes that I've had sueded. Comfortable clothes. I always wear a tshirt or tank with another layer over. If we get to do a lot of dancing, I often warm up enough to strip down to minimum coverage.

Approach Same as all dance classes: be teachable! Musicality drives improvisation; when I became able to hear the swinging of the beats and the syncopations everything changed for me.

Good instruction or bad Hmm. Danger signs for me: When the leads are told to pull the girl on the five (instead of being told to lead her forward). When the follows are told to come forward (instead of waiting for the lead). What I mean is when the moves are taught without lead/follow principle being the foundation. You might also consider PMing our own world-traveled lindy hop teacher and ask him if he knows your teacher.

I wanna know how it goes, Jenn. I'm enjoying this!

Sue

3. Vince A

Vince A Active Member

No tips/pointers . . . just getting my frame-of-mind together in order to do the very same thing.
    I read suek comments, and will take them to heart. At least I'll be taking privates from the same person (I pray) as she took from . . . :D

Yes Jenn, keep us posted. Knock 'em dead . . .

As much as I love to dance in my dance sneakers, those shoes do not allow for sliding (spinning-yes), so I'll wear flat lace-up, leather-soled shoes as she suggested. Will I really be sliding that soon, I wonder???

4. Sagitta

Sagitta Well-Known Member

That's great news Jenn!! :D I too plan to restart lindy sometime in the future, after I am more comfortable with salsa and ballroom.

Footwear: If you have a comfortable pair of shoes (no heel) that you are willing to sacrifice simply scotch tape the sole and use those. This is very common.

5. suek

suek New Member

Actually I find plain ol' masking tape to be the slidiest, but it curls and peels off fast, so one might do the edges with duct tape (up the sides, not on the soles) to keep the masking tape in place. That said, here's a caveat: no need to get super slidey at the very beginning. Until you are comfy with the basics and the rhythm and the footwork, shoes that don't stick to the floor are all you need. IMHO.

6. Sagitta

Silly me!! :oops: I meant duct tape. Scotch tape is horrible!!

Also on footwear: Bowling shoes work pretty well. Cheap too!

7. Vince A

Vince A Active Member

Darn Virg, I just ripped off a roll of scotch tape from work! J/K, I knew what you meant.

Thanks Sue. I'll bring the slippery ones, but wear the dance sneakers.

I tried learning the footwork, but it was "suggested" that I wait for the privates - just to insure that I receive that training info correctly.

8. Sagitta

I too wouldn't recommend trying to learn lindy by yourself.

9. Vince A

Vince A Active Member

I certainly understand why . . . thanks . . . guess it would be like learning to be a surgeon by reading a book and practicing on yourself???

10. Sagitta

Vs learning basic first aid by yourself, which is doable. :)

11. Vince A

Vince A Active Member

I'll try "anything" twice!!!

12. SwinginBoo

SwinginBoo New Member

Everyone already gave you great advice. Now for mine...ENJOY IT! You are going to love lindy Jenn, I just know it! :D

13. Swing Kitten

Swing Kitten New Member

what's not to love? Lindy ROCKS!! err... I mean... SWINGS!!! :D

14. pygmalion

Thanks. I'll give updates. It looks like my biggest challenge is going to be the shoes. I have twenty-something pairs of ballroom shoes, two pairs of cowboy boots, and a pair of bleyers. Maybe I'll go get some cheapo sneakers and duct tape the bottoms. Hmm. :?

15. SwinginBoo

SwinginBoo New Member

I would go with a sneaker that is very supportive as you will put some intense miles in these shoes. :D

16. suek

suek New Member

Jenn, in your extensive collection, see if you have any ballroom flats. They'll do fine for starters.

And remember: it's masking tape on the bottoms, and duct tape around the edges to hold the masking tape in place (best not to have any duct tape on the sole as it inhibits sliding).

Have fun!

17. d nice

d nice New Member

Neither of you will be doing much spinning or sliding soon... that will be at least a few months down the line... but you want shoes that won't let you cheat. If you aren't grounded and moving in a controlled manner, "fast shoes" will point it out to you. Instant feedback. Shoes that grip can allow all sort of bad posturing and weight placement to be ignored.

18. d nice

d nice New Member

You can double layer them. Duct tape on the bottom, masking or athletic tape on that. Duct tape sticks to just about anything, and masking and athletic tape stick to duct tape great.

Then again, a leather soled flat or LOW pump (think an inch or less) will do just great.

My numnber one tip... relax. EVERYTHING. Your mind your body (especially the arms) and let your leader initiate the movement. Once you are moving keep moving until he actually initiates a styop... not when and where you "think" you are suppossed to stop but where he actually reduces or redirects your momentum.

19. d nice

d nice New Member

Actually Bleyers are just fine to start with... make a note you will probably never hear/see me say that again. Bleyers "Swivels", the wedgies they have are pretty good, a better quality also. YOu can always just suede or tape up your Bleyers until you have decided you want to "invest" in a apir of shoes for Lindy Hop.

I wish you luck Jenn, and welcome to the "Collective".

20. pygmalion

Ah yes. I can feel a mind meld coming on. :lol: :lol:

I know I'm showing my total ignorance here, but exactly WHERE does the tape go? All over the shoe bottom? Just the ball of the foot? Where? :?:

And somebody talk to me about lindy posture versus ballroom posture -- from the pictures I've seen, they're totally different.