Swing Discussion Boards > First Lindy Lesson -- What to Expect?

Discussion in 'Swing Discussion Boards' started by pygmalion, Jan 8, 2004.

1. d nice

d nice New Member

You'd put tape on the front half of the shoe normally... but those that like heel slides and stuff will cover the whole bottom... I wouldn't recommend this yet.

As to the posture for the Lindy Hop... think basketball. Lindy Hop is an athletic dance, it doesn't matter if you are dancing at 115 bpm or 315 (and yes we dance this range) you need to be able to change directions in any direction in an instant.

Your weight should be on the ball of your foot, your bent knee over the ball of the weight bearing foot and your sternum over the bent knee. Keep the natural bounce that will result and keep the posture... The arms are relaxed the elbows dropped "pointing at the ground".

2. pygmalion

pygmalion Well-Known Member

Thanks. That makes sense.

I'm really excited! I'll check in with updates tomorrow evening. :D 8)

3. Swing Kitten

Swing Kitten New Member

This is great Jenn! Best of luck with it! :p

4. Dancegal

Dancegal Member

How was it? Inquiring minds want to know :D

5. pygmalion

Well ... To be honest, I didn't much like it. In all fairness, it's much different from the dancing I've been doing, and it feels weird to be a "newbie" again. (I haven't learned a totally new dance in a year and a half, at least) So I guess a rocky start is to be expected. I have another group lesson Friday and next Sunday, and a private lesson this weekend. We'll see what happens then. :? 8)

6. Sagitta

Sagitta Well-Known Member

Right!! But when you get it, even once, it makes it all worth while! Just keep plugging away at it. It's like any dance where you, your partner, and the music become one!! Heavenly bliss! :)

7. Vince A

Vince A Active Member

Oh No-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o . . . :( . . . and I hate that newbie, two-left footed, what the hell are you doing feeling.

I gotta do it too Jenn . . . come on . . . let's get motivated together and get some other dancers to start taking lessons and to join in on an online-diary on this subject???

8. Sagitta

Well. You can blame Cindy Overstreet for me not starting a new dance!! I wanted to do WCS 1 this month, 2 next month, then start taking her speciality topic classes after that!! She offers WCS on Thursday!! I have rueda practice on Thursdays!! Grrrr!!!! Now if you can convince her to switch days, such as to Monday I'll definitely join the team of "learning an completely new dance".

9. suek

suek New Member

I'm loving this spate of ballroom/salsa dancers who are taking a peek at this lindy hop that I love so much. If my enthusiasm (see the DF awards) -- as well as that of the other diehard lindy hoppers on DF -- had anything to do with it then hooray. If not hooray anyway.

Jenn, don't give up. Took me some time to get a glimmer of the fun here, esp coming from ballroom, as I did too.

10. pygmalion

Hey. what can I say? It took me a year to stop HATING East Coast Swing. Now I love it. I can give lindy hop at least a couple weeks of my time.

The upside is that the leads outnumber follows in this class two to one, so I never have to sit one out. I'm sure things will improve, as soon as I stop feeling like a doofus. :oops: :lol:

11. Sagitta

Why am I not suprised? I noticed this when I took lindy classes!!! Extremely frustrating! :headwall: But, great for you Pygmalion. :cheers:

12. Swing Kitten

Swing Kitten New Member

that was me last night... new shoes... ... new (for me) venue... ...extremely follow heavy... ...really hurt my friend's back :cry: (not while dancing at least)... despite the fun I had I wish I didn't go. :oops:

13. Vince A

Vince A Active Member

Care to elaborate a little more on the "fun wish?"

14. Swing Kitten

Swing Kitten New Member

???

I had some fun

all and all I should have stayed home

15. pygmalion

Breaking in new shoes (and a new venue at the same time :shock: Ye gods!) stinks. It'll be better next week.

16. Vince A

Vince A Active Member

It WILL BE BETTER next week . . . I promise!

17. Dancegal

Dancegal Member

Practice the swingout - Practice the swingout - Practice the swingout - and Practice It Some More :D

18. Dancegal

Dancegal Member

Just curious - why did you hate East Coast Swing at one point???

19. Swing Kitten

Swing Kitten New Member

Thanks Vince and Jenn... it will be better-- next week I'll be in CT and at my most comfortable venue and will keep working on my shoes and my dancing (and my friend will be a lot safer!)

20. danceguy

danceguy New Member

Hi Pygmalion,

Sorry to hear the Lindy classes didn't go well. I actually enjoyed learning it, but all of the constant changing of directions was a bit much for me. Once my posture is a little better I may end up trying it again...but overall I thought it was fun...

A year to get over hating ECS? Wow, are you still on the outs with Hustle like I am? I can hardly stand to even watch it these days... :?

Best,

SG