Swing Discussion Boards > First Lindy Lesson -- What to Expect?

Discussion in 'Swing Discussion Boards' started by pygmalion, Jan 8, 2004.

1. pygmalion

pygmalion Well-Known Member

I'm with you SG. Still can't stand hustle. *shudder*

2. Vince A

Vince A Active Member

Did I miss "why" you two hate the hustle???

3. pygmalion

Um. Because of the th-thunk you feel when your partner rocks back over their heels instead of staying forward posied, because the rhythm is very different for many people to feel, so it's hard for me to dance (I can feel the rhythm easily). And most importantly, I'm guessing, because I haven't done enough of it yet. Every other dance I've tried has grown on me in time.

I'll try again. But for the moment, it's a hate-hate thing. :evil:

4. Vince A

Vince A Active Member

A little help . . .
    1. Remember the posts on "coaster stepping?"

You already said, forward poised, which is correct, but now you do want to keep the motion moving through the dance . . . one continuous flow . . . so it could be a "kind of coaster step" since most have done that.
    2. Forget the arm styling for now . . . I know that you are trying to learn the dance as well as the great arm movements that goes with the female part (more so than men do - I do some) part of the dance.

Lastly . . . both of us may give up on hustle as we learn to Lindy, as I want something for those really fast songs (like Brian Setzer stuff) when and ECS or WCS won't cut it! I think that Lindy will provide that!

5. bgirlswinger

bgirlswinger New Member

OKay I must say that if you do live in Jacksonville I would like to meet you and it bothers me that I don't know you. lol ....um I fee lanother pm message comming on. Who is teachign you,. .and where.
    -amber d.

6. pygmalion

I live in Orlando. That would explain that. I'm only in Jacksonville occasionally -- it's just a two hour drive, so it's not impossible to get there. Just tough on weeknights. Weekends? No problem. I'm taking lessons with an Orlando-based couple -- I'll PM you the names and you can give me the scoop, if you've heard of them. We definitely will meet, and soon. :D

7. bgirlswinger

bgirlswinger New Member

rob and dawn are awsome swing danceers that teach out there. I don't know if you learn from them but I know they are great and I have taken a workshop from them in the past. UCF has swing dances every friday that are 5 dollars and there is a lesson before the dance. That starts at 7:30 i believe. There is a good range of dancers both in age and in dancing experience. Some of the peopel , not all are students there and so they are new to the "swing scene."

1st Saturdays @ Dance Orlando
    Next dance: 02/07/2004 Click for Directions
    An awesome place to dance, hangout, and make new friends! Formerly "Night Moves", this club features a huge smooth tile dance floor buffed and waxed to dance perfection. The nightclub-like atmosphere makes this dance a great place to hangout, dance, and spend and evening out. Both FFP and guest DJs spin the best in swing, big band, blues, jump blues and boogie woogie for your dancing inspiration! No external food and drink allowed, but the venue features snacks, drinks, and fountain drinks for sale.

Beginner Dance Lesson: 8-9pm
    Dance: 9pm-12am
    Admission: $5

2nd Saturdays @ Whirl & Twirl
    Next dance: 02/14/2004 Click for Directions
    A favorite dance spot in Orlando for almost two years! This venue features a quaint atmosphere and the best dance floor in Orlando. Most months music is spun by some of Orlando’s top swing DJs... but watch the schedule for special events... sometimes this dance hosts live music! Also watch the schedule for special afternoon workshops that accompany this dance. Some snacks and beverages are available for free, but feel free to bring your own food and drink (no alcohol please).

Admission: $5 (excluding special events)

3rd Saturdays @ Dance Orlando
    Starting January 17th. Click for Directions
    Cap off the month with another great dance at Dance Orlando! Grab your friends and come hangout and dance the night away! Both FFP and guest DJs spin the best in swing, big band, blues, jump blues and boogie woogie for your dancing inspiration! No external food and drink allowed, but the venue features snacks, drinks, and fountain drinks for sale.

Admission: $5

ffp= flying footwork production which is the organization that rob and dawn put together to set up worshops and dances i nthe orlando area.
    all of these dances have a lesson and there is a good crowd out there.

I lived and danced in Orlando for a year so I kind of know the scene there. I have been away for a year as well but I do visit and work at disney when i am in town. well ttyl-
    -amber d.

8. pygmalion

Rob and Dawn are great -- nice people, and a lot of focus on the important stuff right from the beginning -- connection, partnership. I am really impressed with them -- both their teaching and their dancing. 8)

9. suek

suek New Member

heh heh...we have captured another one!

Vince just left my house...he drove up from Modesto to take his first lindy lesson from Damon and I was his happy-to-do-it partner for the lesson.

Yes! Resistance is futile, Vince...the style shift has begun. Welcome to lindy hop world.

Silliness aside, it was much fun to meet Vince and his wife Carolyn who watched and took pictures I'm afraid we'll be seeing soon right here. And any opportunity I get to do 150 swingouts in an hour can only benefit me. I love practicing basics. Helps improve my dancing.

Best,

Sue

10. Swing Kitten

Swing Kitten New Member

It will be interesting to hear what Vince has to say about the experience :D

yipppeeee!

11. SDsalsaguy

SDsalsaguy Administrator Staff Member

Indeed! :D

So Vince, what say you?

12. Vince A

Vince A Active Member

Do you "really" want to know???

13. Sagitta

Sagitta Well-Known Member

Now I do too!! :)

14. Vince A

Vince A Active Member

Believe me . . . it WAS an experience, and another DF reunion!

First, it's nice to have someone so well versed at teaching as d nice is be so close to where I live. He seems like a great guy to know! Oh, and he CAN dance!

I arrived at suek's house (great wooden floor) about ten minutes early. Met suek and introduced myself and then introduced her to my wife, Carolyn.

We chatted for a few minutes, then we did a very, very fast WCS to warm up, which is something I don't do. I do WCS very slow. I guess those Lindy dancers like their music fast! I muddled through it and suek suffered! suek is a very good dancer, by the way!

Anyway . . . d nice arrived followed by more introductions. He looks just like his avatar.

We chatted for a few minutes, then he and suek showed me "Lindy."

It only 'looked' easy. I was in for a surprise. I really felt like I "had two left feet." You know - a rookie! I know I was to Lindy, but hell, I can do starter steps with rock steps and swingouts, etc. Sure I can.

But the count was different, and, oh yes, you have to "bounce." (Bounce - somethng my Pro has worked on for years making sure I do not do it!)
    I swear, d nice and suek showed me the rock step a dozen times, and I think I may have done it once really close to correct. It's not easy folks!

I do the exact same starter step, but could not get the Lindy style to save my a**. The I was shown how to do swing outs from the closed and open positions.

Once I get the pictures, you see me looking confused, looking down, etc.

By the time the lesson was over . . . I did fell somewhat better. d nice recapped and gave a few things to practice in front of the mirror at home.

What d I think of Lindy? GO ahead . . . ask me???

15. SwinginBoo

SwinginBoo New Member

So Vince, what do you think of Lindy? :tongue:

It seems hard I'm sure. But you were probably great and having the background in WCS is a help I would think. Although I can understand the difficulty with the bounce since WCS is so completely opposite. I guess my suggestion would be to listen to the music. Your body will feel the bounce I think if you let it.

Oh and the fast lindy music is fun, but slower tempos are great to do some smooth lindy to.

I hope you enjoy your venture into lindy-land Vince. Good luck with it! Keep us posted. :wink:

16. Vince A

Vince A Active Member

Thank you Boo . . .

I LIKE IT!
    It's like unedited WCS . . .

Everything that I have learned in WCS??? - I have to do the opposite now.

There is more of a full-hand hold instead of fingertips.
    Now my thumb has to be down on the top of the followers hand (but no pressure) . . . took me 3 years to break the habit of having my thumb there!
    My anchor involves continuing back on the 8 count, before stepping one.
    ANd my big bitc, er um, "gripe" . . . is that I have SO hard to become smooth, and now I have to "bounce?"

No problem! I have the best teacher a dancer could have, and I have a wonderful dance partner during my learning process - I only hope she holds out!

By the way . . . my next lesson is already booked!

17. SwinginBoo

SwinginBoo New Member

See you already have a handle on the major points and differences btwn lindy and WCS. (which by the way is no small feat! you wouldn't believe the people who say, "lindy and WCS are the same dance basically")

Good for you! It's always excited to have another scheduled lesson to look forward to. (Just as an aside my next lesson adventure is a 3 hour bal workshop followed by a 2hour private :D . I can't wait!)

18. Vince A

Vince A Active Member

Thanks for the kudos . . .

Enjot that workshop . . . Damon has an all day Lindy workshop coming on Feb 28 . . . I hope he'll have me dancing by then.

I practiced "bouncing" last night . . . for an hour, no less! But I know it is important.

By the way, I just put a few pictures up of the three of us!

19. suek

suek New Member

phew! There I was planning to say something huffy about your compliment to Dnice and no mention of me...and then there it is only seven sentences later. I am so relieved!
    Vince, feel free to keep the thumb up. What Dnice meant to convey--and he'll correct me if I'm wrong I am so sure--is that IF the thumb rests on your follow's hand there is to be no pressure applied. But it's totally okay to have it off her hand altogether.
    Don't worry about me...I love working on basics and I had great fun...
    Like I said, resistance is futile.

20. SwinginBoo

SwinginBoo New Member

Those pictures are awesome Vince!!! You look like you are really concentrating. And you're right, D Nice does look just like his avatar. (Muy Bonito! :wink: )