Tango Argentino > Videos > First Performance of the Tango Cheeseballs

Discussion in 'Videos' started by sambagirl, Apr 12, 2010.

1. Zoopsia59

Zoopsia59 Well-Known Member

Well, we know who they are, so there's bound to be people here either posting or lurking who know what they teach... :confused:

2. Angel HI

Angel HI Well-Known Member

^ Very well. Then they should be the ones testifying as to whether these guys are clowns or just clowning around. In either case, I beleive that the perf speaks for itself, and needn't have been chastised for it's existence. To have said that one didn't like the dance would have been different.

3. dchester

dchester Moderator Staff Member

They were clowning around.

4. dchester

dchester Moderator Staff Member

I decided that I'll say a little more about the people in the video.

I know Carlos and Tova, but we certainly are not close or anything. They are nice friendly people, very much fun loving, and enjoy hamming up performances. There's enough video of them on Youtube so people can judge for themselves what they think of their dancing (although it's tough to find a performance without them hamming it up, at least a little). I've taken a couple classes from them, and found them both to be good communicators, and actually give direct answers to direct questions (which not all teachers do). Their classes tend to be fun. I have no issue with recommending them as teachers.

I can't say that I know Andres and Meredith, but I have taken a couple classes from them (a couple years back at a tango festival). One thing that I remembered was in a class (intermediate level), where we worked on a pattern that included the follower doing a high leg wrap around the back of the leader. I thought Andres was very nice in answering questions and helping people out. They do a lot more Nuevo stuff than salon, but I prefer their salon dancing. Once again, there's plenty of video of them on Youtube, so people can draw their own conclusions about their dancing.

5. bordertangoman

bordertangoman Well-Known Member

Come now Jan sweeping genearalisations are not constructive.

I have met several Americans who dance tango seriuosly and very well,
    quite a few who werent stupid
    and many with a good sense of humour
    and one who understands irony

and us Brits are not upper class twits and we take it so seriously that we are obliged to poke fun at it ( without discrimination; people who dance it; the serious cucumber sandwich and tea brigade; the bad nuevans the pompous and self-rightoeuos self-style milongueros; the move collectors ;the intellectual oafs; the elderly demographic; the non-learners; the self-taught; the mythologisers etc etc; @DB did I miss anyone out?)

6. barrefly

barrefly New Member

My daughter has studied dance since she was 2 1/2 yrs old. Every sun. she has her A.T. private right before the establishment's sun. milonga. People would start to come in and catch the last part of her lesson and many would approach us afterwards to commend her on her dancing. They had the impression that she must have studied A.T. for many years (only 1 1/2 yrs) and really loves A.T. They are rather taken aback when I tell them that she hasn't studied that long and that "She only does it for me."

She's not good because she loves A.T. and takes it very seriously, she is good because she has studied dance seriously all her life with the best instructors money can buy.
    If anyone mocks A.T., it would be my daughter.
    "Life is perfectly imperfect."

7. Lui

Lui Active Member

I congratulate you to your talented and disciplined daughter and her success. Nevertheless, it sounds rather sad to me, that you use your good relationship to force a dance training upon her - even when she doesn't love it and the topic is rather far off the dance mainstream (and the general field of work for a dancer).

8. sambagirl

sambagirl Member

Oh my, for what I intended to be a lighthearted look at a dance we all must love...in our own special ways...this seems to have devolved into a less than happy thread.

It's dancing, people. I love it. I practice it every day. I try to get better all the time. Believe me, I take myself much too seriously at times. And I think it's healthy to remind myself of that fact, as this video did.

9. barrefly

barrefly New Member

Lui, I really don't force it on her. (it's much more complicated than that.)
    But I do agree, I also think it's sad.
    She's been dancing all her life and has grown used to "me" making all her decisions for her. She is sincerely greatful for this. Occasionally I set her up with commitments that she resents and she is getting better at telling me no. She assures me that she wants to have her career in dance and we discuss the subject often.
    Melissa is a very knowledgable about dance. Togeather, over the years, we have explored all her career options.

I think that it's more of a case of her enjoying being a teenager and her relying on me to manage her dance. She knows that she is talented and does not want to throw it away. She just doesn't make a big issue about her talent. i.e. no t-shirts saying "I love dance", no dancing around in shopping malls, doesn't surround herself with friends that dance, etc. She is very realistic about dance and knows it's a tough career. (...but, she also knows life is tough.)

The truth is Lui, I have done a great job making her understand that she doesn't have to dance. Therefore, she's really chill about it.

The good thing about all this is that she hasn't pidgeon holed herself in beleiving that she is a specific dance style dancer. (i.e. w.c. swing, jazz, A.T., salsa, b/l etc.) The bad thing is that she hasn't pidgion holed herself in beleiving that she is a specific dance style dancer.