Dancers Anonymous > First trip to NYC

Discussion in 'Dancers Anonymous' started by IndyLady, Apr 23, 2015.

1. IndyLady

IndyLady Well-Known Member

I will be making my first trip to NYC for a professional conference the first weekend in May. I'm flying in Saturday and having dinner with a friend that night, and conference is Mon/Tue (departing Tue right after).

Any tips on things to do/see on Sunday, or Monday evening? Getting around the city tips? Since NYC is more of a hotbed for dance than my homebase (understatement of the year), any suggestions there? I don't even know what you can and can't visit/go inside (e.g. Statue of Liberty, Ellis Island, etc). tbh, I'm not really interested in any 9/11 memorial stuff, in light of the limited timeframe.

Thanks for any suggestions/hints/advice.

2. MaggieMoves

MaggieMoves Well-Known Member

Where are you staying? What kind of dance would you like to do?

Plenty of places that have latin club dancing (salsa, bachata, merengue, even some zouk and kizomba), and there are a bunch of few places that have swing dancing as well. Swing 46 is a nice place to relax with some good food, and they have a live band that plays swing music. It's mostly Lindy, though... and nothing like you've learned in a ballroom. Plenty of places have milongas as well.

Salsa and bachata are certainly the most visible, but there are a LOT of choices in NYC. Just need more specifics. :)

IndyLady likes this.
  3. Dancing Irishman

Dancing Irishman Well-Known Member

IL, hopefully you don't mind me piggybacking on your thread, but I'm actually going to have a 6-7 hour layover in NYC (traveling between LaGuardia and JFK, not sure which is start and which is end) while en route to Paris and eventually, Blackpool!, this May. Anyone have recommendations for cool places to eat / walk around during my afternoon in NYC? I generally love green spaces in cities, so Central Park certainly has an appeal to me, but I'm also interested to hear if there are other lesser-known parks I should check out instead that are less out of the way (since both my airports are in Brooklyn / Queens, trekking over to Manhattan might be a suboptimal use of time).

IndyLady likes this.
  4. MaggieMoves

You could always hang around in Williamsburg or Astoria... both are nice places. I don't really know Brooklyn or Queens all that well though. Tons of things to do in Brooklyn though, and by not going into Manhattan it will save you about a half an hour trip each way.

Dancing Irishman and IndyLady like this.
  5. IndyLady

The hotel is in Times Square. I guess I would lean more Latin/ballroom... I suspect I probably won't get around to any dancing when all is said and done, but I figured I'd ask anyways. Truthfully I'm not even sure what I want to see from a "touristy" point of view.

6. MaggieMoves

On west 54th, right near times square is Iguana, with both great food and great Latin dancing upstairs.

I'll post more later tonight when I get home.

The swing dance scene in NYC is also a lot of fun.

IndyLady likes this.
  7. MaggieMoves

Copacabana is a hit or a miss, as with LQ. Sometimes they both host great events, though. Both seem to cater to the fist pumping crowd a bit too much.

Going to SOB's this weekend, I'll let you know what I think.

IndyLady likes this.
  8. Bailamosdance

Bailamosdance Well-Known Member

When you say latin / ballroom, can i assume you are looking for Latin and Ballroom dance? If so, nyc has many socials especially on saturday evening. Imwould reccomend those over the 'club' scene since, with the exception of supper clubs, the places like the copa have very few ballroom and latin dancers. They DO have a lot of dancers, some who are latino, but very few who would b considered part of the latin or ballroom world.

When your dinner is over, on saturday evening, there are a number of socals within walking distance of time s square...

IndyLady likes this.
  9. MaggieMoves

Yep. Two studios I know that do their socials on the weekends.

Manhattan ballroom
    Stepping out studios

And others that will fit a "ballroom" itch. Why not try something more local one of the nights though?

Some Latin clubs will play a bit of cha cha, or even a samba every now and then... But it is a rare occurrence.

My suggestion is if you do the club scene, show up early so you don't have to put up with the trashed people bumping into you at the end of the night.

IndyLady likes this.
  10. Bailamosdance

Bailamosdance Well-Known Member

This weekend neither of those studios have socials on saturday night. However, 'you should be dancing' on 6th ave does...

IndyLady likes this.
  11. MaggieMoves

Are they the ones who do the swing dancing on Sunday nights? I've never been there.

IndyLady likes this.
  12. Rhythmdancer

Rhythmdancer Well-Known Member

What the level of dancing typically at the ballroom focused socials in New York? I might go this summer as a ballroom tourist.

IndyLady likes this.
  13. IndyLady

Will see what I can find on the studios suggested so far... my dinner companion is my first ever ballroom instructor, so yeah, ballroom socials would be nice. However, since I'm completely new to NYC and he's been there several years, I'm letting him take the lead on planning the evening. Bwa ha ha.

Bailamosdance likes this.
  14. MaggieMoves

Mostly bronze, some silver level dancers... just like anywhere. A lot of the more advanced dancers I find shy away from socials. To be honest, at many of these socials I'd rather just go out.

Rhythmdancer likes this.
  15. FancyFeet

FancyFeet Well-Known Member

Bumping this one for some enquiries... I'm seriously thinking about doing my first trip to NY in late March/early April, to take advantage of a free place to stay (yay, friends who move - even temporarily - to good places), and timed to be between planned comps here.

My still emerging agenda would include likely a whole day in the fabric district, visiting the physical stores that I order from all the time and dreaming up my next dress. I'm also thinking about taking a standard private while there, and if the opportunity avails, a high level group technique class. Any recommendations?

16. tangomaniac

tangomaniac Active Member

The first thing you need to know is how to navigate the city. Go to mta.info (you don't need www.) Click on "New York City Bus" and then "Bus Maps" and then Manhattan. Subway stops are included. It will help put everything into context.

Go to www.newyorktango.com. Even if you don't dance Argentine Tango, it will list several studios.

17. Dancing Irishman

Dancing Irishman Well-Known Member

It looks like Brooklyn Dancesport Club (Eugene and Maria's studio) has an "Adult Standard Seminar" aimed at open-level competitors on Wednesday (looks like it's run by Marat and Alina, who I believe are big names in standard). Not sure if they'd allow you to drop in / what the cost would be, but it's worth a shot to reach out. I've never been but I know my coaches train there with Eugene and Maria when they travel to New York for coaching.

stash and FancyFeet like this.
  18. FancyFeet

Update: Brooklyn Dancesport will allow drop-ins to their standard seminar (at least, once I answered a few questions, presumably so they could tell if it was the right class for me).

19. FancyFeet

More updates:

Alina @ Brooklyn Dancesport has been great about responding to e-mails and answering questions/scheduling things, once I tracked down her contact info. The studio itself was less willing to correspond over e-mail (they wanted me to call, which is less good for me), but still responsive to a point. I'm looking forward to spending some time there next week.

Manhattan Ballroom continued to not reliably correspond, despite several follow-ups, so I won't be dropping in for lessons. (Oddly, they asked a bunch of questions about my height and level, etc.. then stopped communicating. Maybe just not wanting to say they don't have anyone that meets what I am looking for?)

Currently debating adding a social on Friday night... I typically dislike social dancing, but if the scene is different than I am used to, it might actually be (*gasp*) fun.

20. MaggieMoves

I'm not sure of any socials on Friday night in NYC... But there is one at DanceSport on Thursday. You Should Be Dancing is another place in told socials can be good.

Do you only dance standard? There are plenty of places for Latino nightclub style dancing in the city... And swing.