Tango Argentino > Flav & Vincent on Strictly - Stunning Milonga

Discussion in 'Tango Argentino' started by Heather2007, Nov 24, 2008.

1. Dave Bailey

Dave Bailey New Member

Yeah, it was a bit weird, wasn't it? All that stuff with the table...

Although I strongly suspect Giraldo had been told to not show Vinth up, which is why V&F were doing the flashy stuff.

2. Me

Me New Member

Funny you should mention that. I found some clips on youtube.

Has Geraldine changed her style? I would have thought this was somebody else if the clips had not listed her name.

Here is the vals:

[yt]4mcw65Dfs20[/yt]

Here is the tango:

[yt]524zosq-4Ts[/yt]

And a milonga:

[yt]3nDcg-wjlII[/yt]

3. Me

Me New Member

I found the clip on Youtube, if anybody hasn't seen it.

[yt]hoiQZdtAzjM[/yt]

4. bordertangoman

bordertangoman Well-Known Member

Smile? that would make it ballroom tango wouldn't it?

What is it that encourages people to think that tango should be fun?

Milonga is fun salsa is fun, Jive is fun, so why cant we have one dance that is serious and based on loneliness, melancholy and the human condition.

Whatever is the antithesis of "Get a Life" is what you need to dance tango!

I mean you wouldn't expect a top conductor or pianist to smile at the audience or for Darcy Bussell to grin at her mum while dancing Swan Lake.

5. Toddy

Toddy New Member

I thought the Argentine Tango routine was a bit one sided with Flavia and Vincent taking centre stage. Don't get me wrong, I loved it but was a little bored of the other two dancers.
    Flavia is so classy and did you see the tone in her muscles? OMG, I wish that was me.

6. Captain Jep

Captain Jep New Member

7. Me

Me New Member

You are right. Video clips can make things appear differently.

I have always admired Geraldine for having that super silky smooth and effortless dance... while pulling off with ease the most unbelievably sharp, fast, and precise embellishments.

Something about these clips make the fancy tricks seem a bit less effortless? Less smooth? Perhaps even a bit frantic? These are words I would not normally use to describe her dance. I know some dancers choose to perform in this style, but I prefer it when it is very smooth. One of the reasons I admire Claudia Codega so much. So smooth...

8. Captain Jep

Captain Jep New Member

Just watched It Takes Two (the SCD fanzine)

F&V "who are world tango champions" are on tomorrow "to tell you everything you need to know about the Argentine Tango". :eyebrow:

The reason - All 3 couples are doing AT as one of their dances this weekend. From the training footage so far , Vincent is going to wipe the floor with the others. The other pros just dont have the background : Brendan especially is looking very ropey so far.

My money's suddenly all on Vincent&Rachel..

9. Dave Bailey

Dave Bailey New Member

Yeah, "world champions" :rolleyes: - I think I had a discussion about that last year, might have been on here even... In fact, I remember editing their Wikipedia pages as a result of that.

The only AT championship they've won has been one organised by Negracha (London AT club) in 2006 - although they've placed in others, in the show tango sections. So it's a bit naughty to call them "champions".

Yes, I saw that too. Here's my summary

Rachel and Vincent: they look gorgeous - they did a lovely travelling sacada "corkscrew" type sequence which I've been trying out myself for a while now - but obviously, they can do it, whilst I usually get my foot trodden on with it.... She needs to lift her head up, but otherwise looks fine. And Ian's commentary was hilarious: "A couple of nice gauchos there" :what: - I mean, come on Ian, if you're going to make stuff up at least make it funny.

Tom and Camilla: Christ, Camilla really really doesn't get this dance does she? I assumed it was her outfit that made her legs look like chopsticks last time - I was wrong, it's her dancing. She needs to collect her flippin' feet, she looks like an awful waddling waddly thing. Tom looks more-or-less OK though.

Lisa and Brendan: Well, if I thought Camilla was plumbing new depths, at least she was dancing something like AT. God only knows what Brendan was doing; something like Jive I think based on what I saw. Certainly it'd be difficult to tell what dance it was based on that footage.

10. Captain Jep

Captain Jep New Member

My thoughts exactly Dave - spooky! It's like shooting fish in a barrel, isnt it? :)

Is it arrogance or do the pros simply not have the time to do some proper training? I mean, I would have accepted their poor technique during the first season, but now? Surely they could have spent some time on the dance ... (let's not forget - they are dance pros - they would be able to accelerate their education)

I cant wait to watch the Thursday dance report to see some more "learned criticism" from another set of "pro" dancers ... :rolleyes:

11. Captain Jep

Captain Jep New Member

Sorry forgot to mention - "waddling waddly thing". Love it. Dont pull your punches hey?! :cool:

I spent the first part of that segment thinking "Blimey, what skinny legs!" The second half thinking "yes she looks like a stork" ....

:p

(right I must go and do some non DF stuff now)

12. Dave Bailey

Dave Bailey New Member

I know - I mean, blimey, we're just amateurs, they're supposed to be pros.

I don't know, really I don't.

I mean, I realise they're busy, I realise learning a lot of AT on the unlikely chance that you'll be in the semi-finals is a long shot, and I realise that it's a difficult dance, God knows I do.

But if I can see what she's doing wrong, based on 10 seconds of footage, how difficult is it for them to get in one of the 12,624 AT teachers in London who could spot what's wrong better and quicker than I can?

On the other hand, it's quite possible that the judges are equally clueless - but I doubt it, they seem to have at least a vague idea.

13. Captain Jep

Captain Jep New Member

Yes you would think. Or hope anyway.

I'm sort of interested in "the function" of AT on SCD. It doesnt really appear in the first few weeks, but we're seeing more and more of it in the latter stages. Why? If very few of the pros can dance it, why have it at all?

I suppose if F&V's first "demo" dance got a lot of positive comments, then they felt obliged to keep doing it. And now they've made a whip to beat their own back with.

All the more reason though to take some lessons. Im sure Federico would be available ... :mrgreen:

14. Captain Jep

Captain Jep New Member

On second thoughts, maybe it's best if the judges are clueless. Can you imagine Craig giving Brendan a 1 for his AT and a 9 for his other dance (whatever that is) ?!

Oops I forgot - they're not there to mark the professionals are they ? :rolleyes:

15. Heather2007

Heather2007 New Member

Oh you must tape Strictly this Saturday, if only to see Vincent and Rachel do the Argentine section. (Tom Chambers has been slick throughout so can't wait to see what he produces in the AT also).

I have taken non-tango people to milongas and yep, they get bored. Every pigging time so yes when introducing AT to the eyes of uninitiated it has be done well and in such a way only F&V know how (but I suspect that's because of their ballroom experience) and I've never known an AT follower to tell such a story with their arms, hands and fingers as Flavia does. They're on Strictly Takes Two tonight explaining the intricacies of AT. No, I didn't get to Geralidine and Ezequiel's performance was busy nursing the major flu from major hell. Anybody else?

16. Heather2007

Heather2007 New Member

The world "fun" does not necessarily conjure an image of a clown. It is similar to the smile that slowly makes its way across the face leaving the heart warm and the cheeks flushed. Rare in the land of tango, I know. But when that special individual can do it, well...they just did it. Yum!

17. Heather2007

Heather2007 New Member

Er...ever rehearsed for a major production? Seriously, there is some major toe-watching going in practice time.

My bold: Yeah, like countless I've seen in a milonga. Despite their hours, months, years devoted to the dance. Hee, hee, hee

18. Captain Jep

Captain Jep New Member

Lisa and Brendan: Well, if I thought Camilla was plumbing new depths, at least she was dancing something like AT. God only knows what Brendan was doing; something like Jive I think based on what I saw. Certainly it'd be difficult to tell what dance it was based on that footage.

Having just watched the Thursday reports, I still dont. The train wreck is approaching the station. Choo choo!

PS And will they get it right. A gancho is not "a gaucho"!

19. Heather2007

Heather2007 New Member

It has nothing to do with arrogance. It's a bit like tapping Michelangelo on the shoulder mid-paint and saying, "oy mate, do you think you can help me fit my kitchen". Having lived with an artist in Italy, I know exactly both the worded and (especially) hand-gestured response Il Signore would have given back. Simply put, fitting kitchens for his neighbour just won't be placed high on his To Do list when he has a rather big ceiling to paint. Same, I suspect, with these pro-dancers. Why sacrifice the major painting of a ceiling in order to fit a sink. And, and, and..especially when there are so many skilled Polish sink-fitters afoot :raisebro:)

20. Heather2007

Heather2007 New Member

"Gaucho!" I know. Aw well. I suspect the BBC won't have gambled so many AT anoraks watching the show - ha, ha, ha.

Speaking of anorakism, I'm going to sit with pen and pad at the weekend and counting the times Len mentions the words: "seedy", "gaucho", "dark", "steamy", "raunchy" and every other adjective to describe an 19th-century Whitechapel film set