Tango Argentino > Flav & Vincent on Strictly - Stunning Milonga

Discussion in 'Tango Argentino' started by Heather2007, Nov 24, 2008.

1. tangotime

tangotime Well-Known Member

Actually the opposite is true

2. Angel HI

Angel HI Well-Known Member

I thought so, too.

3. Captain Jep

Captain Jep New Member

Well it wasnt nearly as bad as I thought it would be!

Vincent and Rachel : horrendously complicated routine, impressed by her ability to keep up. And who wouldnt want a woman like Rachel draped all over you? :rolleyes:

Tom and Camilla : he also wasnt bad, the routine that was closest to a social AT. Unfortunately Camilla was pretty clueless. He got 8s, I'd give her a 5 !

Brendan and Rachel : enjoyed the acting, never mind the fact that it had very little content. We had a laugh about the fact that he never actually danced in the embrace (instead he got into the embrace, then went straight out of it again). Again I'd mark her above her pro :).

Like everyone though we all threw our hands up at the programme makers decision (that all 3 couples would go into next week's final). If that was the case, why bother in the first place?? I understand the reasons, but it still felt "wrong".

4. Heather2007

Heather2007 New Member

You see? All that criticism over the "practice" clips. But they delivered on the day. Esp. Rachael and Vincent - wonderful, simple routine that didn't seem choreographed which made it all the more wonderful to watch. Lisa, was beautifully competent although all that British Woman of the Manor Uprightness, needed a bit more Shepherds Market slapper attitude to sell the dance. But overall, very good. And (unlike one pee'd of pal of mine) I was thrilled to hear that all couples made the Finals. That said, I don't waste money voting. My extravagant BBC licence fee covers that. Hee, hee. Roll on the Finals. The show dance is near to what I used to perform way back when, so keen to see how they perform it.

5. Me

Me New Member

It is really nice to see such great effort put into these tango routines.

Lisa and Brendan

Rachel and Vincent

Tom and Camilla

The one WTH moment I had was when Rachel and Vincent's music fired up. A... cha? That was unfortunate. I think they danced extremely well, despite that curve ball.

6. Dave Bailey

Dave Bailey New Member

7. bordertangoman

bordertangoman Well-Known Member

Well; they all made an effort but Lisa and Brendan had about the right music and a little bit of style but I would have chucked out all three couples rather than let them go on another round. C'mon Valentino had more chutzpah than this.

Tom & Camillas tango music was very "Tea and Cucumber Sandwiches on the Vicar's Lawn"; she was acting out a nice English Rose, he should at least have had a bow tie!

8. Heather2007

Heather2007 New Member

Thanks for adding these clips. AND, and and (surprise gasp) for me AT was not R&V's best dance. Try and see if you can get a clip of their other dances in the show esp. their Rumba and American Smooth. Such deep soulful connection. Whew. Heaven.:rolleyes:

9. Heather2007

Heather2007 New Member

I'm impressed with your site. ANNNNDDD...Len said Gancho and not Gaucho. Notice that? Aw well, I used to call my boyfriend, Paul, by another man's name. Go figure. Just a name, just a name. Nobody's dead, Paul. It's just a name :)

Do the maths. You chuck out all 3, you're left with erm...nobody on Final's day. Just about as realistic as telling the Christians that you've just handed Jesus his P45 and from now own....no more Christmas. Ain't gonna work. Erm. Duh?

10. Dave Bailey

Dave Bailey New Member

Depends when you called him it ;)

11. Captain Jep

Captain Jep New Member

Maybe Len actually read my comments on the SCD forum :) Anyway never mind that - who was this other man then? Former lover, husband, SO? Personally I would have been miffed!

I've put all my bitchiness in one place:
    http://www.jivetango.co.uk/Articles/StrictlyTango.html

Dave, I can see you've spent far too long marinading yourself in the bile and vitriol of the Digital Spy forum!

Personally, I think they did the best they could last week. It's not the celeb's faults if the pros are clueless about the tango! I tried as much as possible to focus on the celeb and not the dance as a whole : that way it looked much better.

Anyway, you have to feel sorry for both pro & celeb : 2 of the 3 are going from one dance they dont know to another that's scarcely even a dance. I can see Vinthenth being able to throw Rachbot over his shoulders like a rag doll, but how's Brendan going to do the same with Lisa? Cant wait :rolleyes:

12. Dave Bailey

Dave Bailey New Member

Cor, if you think that's bitchy, I'm guessing you haven't read the Mighty Monk Seal's blog...

Anyway, I've finally done a writeup of the actual dancing:
    http://www.jivetango.co.uk/Articles/StrictlyTango-full.html

Basically, V&R's was superb, the other two were a bit bleh. Both Alesha and Gethin last year were better than Lisa and Tom, I think.

13. Heather2007

Heather2007 New Member

Nope. The name was Sebastian. I didn't know a Sebastian. Still don't know a Sebastian. But a charmer of a name though. Conjures up all sorts of Mills & Boon images.

Indeed. I try not to be too harsh on TV celebs/pros performing AT. Especially when they have such little time to learn, rehearse and perfect it (mere days) and the end result is always pretty impressive, considering. My only criticism would be aimed at the AT teacher that teaches them. There was so much daylight between Lisa's legs in her walk she looked as if she'd had to much curry the night before.

You mean the showdance. So similar to the stuff I used to dance when I was youthful and free of backpain :-( It can be done. It requires good technique and heaps of trust. Lisa's tallness and natural grace will help her in the dance, especially if the routine is slow and Brendan acts more like the pole and she the pole dancer. Focussing the dance on more what can be done on the ground rather than way up there in the heavens. Hmmm. Memories. Sigh. :rolleyes:

14. Captain Jep

Captain Jep New Member

I'm thinking of the guy with the Teddy Bear from Brideshead Revisited ...:cool:

, if you think that's bitchy, I'm guessing you haven't read the Mighty Monk Seal's blog...

yes moments of brilliance - but any longer and she would have had to get it bound and sent to a publisher!

Right I must go and do some work now!

15. Dave Bailey

Dave Bailey New Member

Kele and Ralph are good teachers - I actually thought Lisa did a reasonable job all things considered.