General Dance Discussion > "Floating" Dance Floor

Discussion in 'General Dance Discussion' started by Spitfire, Jul 6, 2003.

1. Spitfire

Spitfire Well-Known Member

What is meant by a floating dance floor; what is it's characteristic?

I don't pay much attention to what surface I'm dancing on unless it's slippery.

2. DanceMentor

DanceMentor Administrator

A floating dance floor is elevated by "ribs" that keep it slightly above the concrete so that it has some give to it. If you go from dancing on a tile or marble foot to a floating floor, you'll really notice the difference because your feet and knees won't get sore as easily.

3. MissAlyssa

MissAlyssa New Member

oOoOo I want to dance on a floating dance floor!

4. Spitfire

From Phoenix I see; I'm just down the road in Tucson. I went up to the Paragon in Chandler a week ago Friday for their open dance. Ever go there? Like to do that on occasion. :D

5. MissAlyssa

MissAlyssa New Member

No, I haven't been there but I've been hearing a lot about it. I don't travel to Chandler too often [it's in the boonies lol] but I'm sure it would be worth my while! So how are you enjoying this weather? lol :lol:

6. Spitfire

The Paragon seems to be the best place up there; in the three times I've been there I've enjoyed it tremendously. It's worth the one and three quarter hour drive and back when done every so often. Last night at the dance I go to here there was a couple that came down here who also go there. Lonnie Mitchell who is the owner of the Paragon taught down here at two studios that I took lessons from when I first started out.

Where do you do your dancing at? I've also been to the Kyote.

The weather? not enjoying it as usual this time of year, but the big concern here is the Aspen fire in the Catalinas

7. MissAlyssa

MissAlyssa New Member

I do most of my dancing at my studio, the bash on ash, at my father's house [he's got a room with wood flooring] or just when I go out at night.

Oh yea, you are down there where all the fires are going on! How contained are they? I haven't had time to watch the news lately. :(

8. Spitfire

About 55% containment, but you wouldn't know that from seeing it. :eek:

You have a studio?

9. MissAlyssa

MissAlyssa New Member

No, I don't own one, but at the Fred Astaire studio that I am an instructor at. That IS my goal for the next 5 years though I might add..hehe :D

10. Spitfire

One of the instructors from the studio I go to moved there about five years ago and was teaching at one of the Fred Astaire's up there. Her name is Krista.

11. MissAlyssa

MissAlyssa New Member

Does she have a husband named Chris?

12. Spitfire

I don't know. She wasn't married the last time I saw her which was about four years ago. Might be the same one. Her last name was Geffen.

13. MissAlyssa

MissAlyssa New Member

Hmm, I'd have to ask. I never knew her maiden name. She's an awesome dancer if it's the same girl. She's not teaching at the moment because she's had a child. Who knows :?:

14. Spitfire

She taught here at the Arizona Ballroom Company where I do most of my dancing. I took some private lessons from her. She came down to visit one time and that's the last I saw of her.

You may know a lady named Karen Maxwell; she taught at the Fred Astaire's here which later became Dance Centers USA and closed down a few years ago. She moved to Phoenix and was teaching as an independant. This I discovered when I went to the Paragon for the first time last year and saw her business cards on the table by the door.

15. MissAlyssa

MissAlyssa New Member

I'm fairly new to teaching so I do not know too many people :( I look forward to meeting a ton of people in the industry at the next comp.

16. Spitfire

Ok I have a question Alyssa; do any of the Fred Astaire's up there hold open dancing over the weekends and is there one on Saturday? As I say I like to go dancing up there every so often. If so, what are the hours and admission price? :?:

There is a newsletter that is sent email here with info on dancing for each week that includes info for the Phoenix area. I would submit that to the lady who sends it out. :D

BTW - welcome to this forum; I see that you are new here. :D

Tom

17. MissAlyssa

MissAlyssa New Member

Not that I know of but I can ask around if you'd like :) Is there any way I can subscribe to this newsletter? It would be a good thing to have around :) Thank you for the nice welcome, it won't be the last time you see me haha. :twisted:

18. lcdancesport

lcdancesport Active Member

I've been doing some research on floating floors and have received some quotes as far as pricing. Now one company told me the tongue and groove clip system is great. It's real maple and the subfloor would be a nice high end foam layer.

I called the same company again today asking about shipping times and someone else, other than the man who helped me the first time, discouraged me from my decision! He said I should go with the Boflex floor, which is used in gyms and dance studios. It's almost another $4 a square foot and already includes the foam on the back of the wood. Apparently this stuff is more shock absorbent and is the top of the line stuff. He said people may end up complaining if I go with the maple tongue and groove system I originally picked out. Alright...

So.... would it be best to foot the bill for the better stuff or go with my first choice? The first choice is still floating and has a good subfloor, but the other is "top of the line" etc etc... As far as difference in pricing, I'm looking at about another $8000 from my original estimate.

Anyone have experience with the Boflex foor? It's by a company called Centaur. I would imagine something like hardwood maple with a good foam layer would be good enough for a floating floor.

19. SassySamba

SassySamba New Member

Weally? I'm from Phx. too. I'm going to the Paragon tonite. Their floor sucks though...It's too old.

20. SassySamba

SassySamba New Member

The studio I go to and take lessons at is called Ambiant Dance. It's in N. Scottsdale. They have dances on Friday nights too.