General Dance Discussion > "Floating" Dance Floor

Discussion in 'General Dance Discussion' started by Spitfire, Jul 6, 2003.

1. SassySamba

SassySamba New Member

Which Freds do you teach at? I started at one too. I have thing against franchises though...no offense.

2. SassySamba

SassySamba New Member

I hate how some studios skimp out on their floor...i.e. The Arthur Murrays of Phx. Their floors suck.

3. lcdancesport

lcdancesport Active Member

Ok not exactly answering my question, but hopefully others are seeing this thread...

4. hereKittyKitty

hereKittyKitty Administrator Staff Member

From what I understand, the boflex floor has foam underneath as opposed to a "floating"floor. My experience with this type of floor is it "absorbs" your body weight. It doesn't give back and the end result is your legs can become tired quickly. Especially if you are jumping around doing Jive or quickstep. I would go with what the first guy offered, because it sounds like the other guy was trying to up sell and it may not help you that much.

5. Yanou

Yanou Member

How much the floor gives is very important, especially for instructors who need to dance on it many hours a day. In addition to the construction/basic materials of the floor, the surface quality or the finish of the floor is also important. By this, I mean how fast or slow the floor is. My old studio had 2 rooms; one was perfect for latin and the other was good for smooth. My small practice room is made of slick engineered wood and I've been trying several methods to make it slower.

Can you at least take a look at some samples?

6. SassySamba

SassySamba New Member

This is a good idea! More studios need to do this.

7. flyhere

flyhere New Member

You may want to google "dance floor construction" or "dance studio construction", also look at youtube

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yAc8-jqcV1E
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m2VWSrveRKE&feature=related
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IR_XvhWG7Fc&feature=related

I think what's important is the construction of the floating frame underneath, and the materials for the subfloor. I would be skeptical about being upsold to "top of the line" without understanding the benefits.

I think it also depends on your expected usage. If it's designed for professional gyms, it may be heavy duty for things like basketball. Is that what you need? or may be more than you need?

8. Joe

Joe Well-Known Member

I think a sprung floor is better than a floating floor installation.

9. etp777

etp777 Active Member

May just be remnant of gymnastics, but I'm partial to a sprung floor too.

10. Larinda McRaven

Larinda McRaven Site Moderator Staff Member

A floating floor is nothing special, it simply means that it is not anchored to the walls. BUT it does not imply ANY type of cushioning underneath.... I can't see any use for it by dancers or any atheltic activity.

In a home installation setting, although a floating floor is nice, as it can expand and contract across the seasons, they don't really want a sprung (or cushioned or suspended) floor. Because people don't like it when the floors in their house bounce or their china cabinets rattle because the floor is flexing as someone walks by.

11. lcdancesport

I'm interested in hearing more about a sprung floor. I did look at some videos online and saw there is a layer of wood, then insulation, then foam? This would be for a studio, not at home.

I'm not so much interested in this gym flooring, I know it absorbs the weight, but it doesn't sound like it is geared towards dancers, who need that spring back.

12. lcdancesport

Wow, that is a lot of material! Is this the standard for floors today?

13. flyhere

flyhere New Member

Sorry my "knowledge" of dance flooring is limited to googling the net for info. Some people I know give private dance lessons out of their living room at home. They simply have regular tongue-and-groove hardwood flooring which are laid over an underlay.

14. Ampster

Ampster Active Member

Sprung floors for dancing can go from the highly professional ones that are shown on the video. The one's used for studios and clubs are similar in construction.

For home use, as long as your wood floor is built on a subframe that gives when weight is applied and pounded (e.g. suspended wood cross beams), it will work.

Wooden floors that are overlayed straight over concrete, have very little (if any) give. There is very little difference between the hardness of wood and the concrete. It is in essence, a solid hard floor that is smooth enough to dance on. The effect of this can be felt in your feet, knees, lower back after only a few hours of dancing.

On a sprung floor the pain will be on the feet from bearing your body's weight in ways it is not used to. Depending on what dance you do (I'm an Argentine Tango dancer), if you're not particular about looks, you can try dance sneakers when dancing on solid hard floors.

15. fascination

fascination Site Moderator Staff Member

my floor is "floating"...it is built atop concrete but has three layers which create a give...the first layer is a lego sort of griding attached to squares of plywood which elevates the squares from the concrete, the second layer is a thin moisture barrier of some sort of plastic then more plywood ...the third layer is board by board top grade maple

16. Larinda McRaven

floating means not permanently attatched (nailed) to the walls or subfloor. Not anchored to anything.
    sprung means suspended off the sub-floor.

Fasc, you have a sprung floor. Proabably it is also floating, but the important part is that it is sprung.

17. fascination

fascination Site Moderator Staff Member

correct...it is both

18. Ampster

Ampster Active Member

Does that mean, its "Sproating?" :nope: Haha, I kid, I kid!

19. Larinda McRaven

no, I like "flung".

20. wonderwoman

wonderwoman Well-Known Member

Gotta tell me buddy, who runs his studio's website, that it is inaccurately described as having floating floors, when they are really sprung. He should know, he designed it.