Dancers Anonymous > Food questions

Discussion in 'Dancers Anonymous' started by alexandrahweis, Feb 28, 2013.

1. Joe

Joe Well-Known Member

The mango is a certain shape. From this, you know which way the flat side of the pit goes, so you can cleave off a large slab of flesh. No need for lopping off the top or bottom.

2. wonderwoman

wonderwoman Well-Known Member

^ (fasc's post) Why I don't get all those "slicers". Ok, I've seen pineapple, egg, potato, onion, avacado, mango, cherry (pitter), apple, cheese slicers... Expensive little single purpose gadgets that you already have a multi-purpose tool for: it's called a knife.

3. Joe

Joe Well-Known Member

Knives require skill.

j_alexandra likes this.
  4. fascination

fascination Site Moderator Staff Member

they require skill, but the good ones are also not cheap, and still need to be sharpened periodically...and again, makes all the difference, IMO....you get what you pay for, but they last forever and you don't have to buy a bunch of stupid gizmos

j_alexandra likes this.
  5. Larinda McRaven

Larinda McRaven Site Moderator Staff Member

Best gift I ever got from my Dad was a knife. I opened the box at christmas and looked down at ... what appeared to be a steak knife. I was so confused. I have loved it dearly ever since, and get a little panicky if I want to cut something but can't find it.

6. fascination

we have wusthoff...those buggers get it done

7. Larinda McRaven

Larinda McRaven Site Moderator Staff Member

Just got an suspended under the counter butcher block full of wusthoff. Yes they do!

8. Joe

Joe Well-Known Member

Well, sure, you can do just about anything with a sharp knife, but it requires learning knife skills, and it often takes you longer than just using a gizmo.

9. Lioness

Lioness Well-Known Member

I don't tend to cut anything that requires skill...I have been told off for using a bread knife on meat. As long as it's sharp, I'm good.

We have two knives that I love. One is little and sharp, cleaver style, and the other one is huge and sharp, and good for meat.

10. wonderwoman

Chopping, grating, crushing, breaking stuff up has always been my favorite part of cooking. I don't know why! I have always done my mom's prep work in the kitchen. :)

11. danceronice

danceronice Well-Known Member

Far, far worse to use a meat knife on bread. It doesn't cut it well and it dulls the knife.

Basically, one good paring knife, one smallish utility knife, one good serrated bread knife, and one heavier chef's knife at a length one finds comfortable (I find anything longer than 8" like wielding a Claymore) with good steel and a tang that goes into the handle. That's about what one needs to do just about anything in the kitchen. Quality costs but it's worth it, as is learning how to sharpen correctly.

12. toothlesstiger

toothlesstiger Well-Known Member

Ah, knives. I sharpen my own with a whetstone. I do all the cooking at home, life is easier with a full set for my needs. 6in, 8in, and 10in chef's knives, heavy cleaver, boning knive, and serrated bread knife cover it for me. For those that remember them, I have the Ginsu knives, but I haven't used them in 15 years.

13. wonderwoman

If you make a salsa and it's too spicy to take to a party where not everybody may like food that spicy, what can you add to cut the spice (heat)?

14. fascination

cheese or sour cream...dairy cuts heat

toothlesstiger likes this.
  15. cornutt

cornutt Well-Known Member

Adding cliantro tends to cover up the heat a bit.

16. samina

samina Well-Known Member

On the sour cream theme, I use Greek yogurt in my spicy dishes, cooked or otherwise...

fascination likes this.
  17. fascination

any dairy

18. tsb

tsb Well-Known Member

and keeping it properly sharpened.

19. tsb

tsb Well-Known Member

it's the milk proteins that counteract the capsaicin (alkaloids) - i once chopped peppers, neglected to wash my hands and then rubbed my eye... i immediately smeared some yogurt, rinsed it off...

and then washed my hands...

20. Joe

Joe Well-Known Member

Or it makes the salsa taste like soap, if you're that type of cilantro person. ;)