Salsa > for the ones who can do a double/triple spin

Discussion in 'Salsa' started by pielcanela, Sep 6, 2006.

1. pielcanela

pielcanela New Member

while you spin is there any weight at all in the foot that trails* after the first spin,

*( the foot that does not have the body weight)

when i look at videos I see that after the first spin, the rest of the spins seem to be going as if both balls of the feet are in the ground, is that just an illusion because the other foot is next to the other?, and there is actually a minimal but still a separation between the sole of the shoe and the ground?

or in fact are the 2nd and 3rd done with some weight in the "free foot?

2. africana

africana New Member

is this q for guys or anyone?

you can do either - for fast floors or slower spins I like using both feet together, but the glue is from the thighs down. For medium-slow floors I might use one foot, but the non-weight-bearing foot is close to the spinning foot most of the time, grazing the floor. So in both cases it may appear as though spinning on both

unless paddling through turns, then it's more obvious that they are apart

3. africana

africana New Member

4. pr

pr New Member

I have already answered at salsaforum, but why not do it here also... :p

My weight is only on one foot! ;) 8)

5. azzey

azzey Member

Only when I'm slowing down from a double-triple (using one foot) into a wind-up and/or using both feet during the spin e.g. heel of one and toe of the other and maybe swapping betwen these. Depends on the style of spin I want to use.

6. Lucretia

Lucretia New Member

Both or one foot!
    Depends on shoes, floor, balance, timing, preparation etc. But the onefoot spins are faster and feels more "easy" WHEN they are achieved.

I'm too bad spinner to give any advice. Still struggling....especially after my slipped disk. (The disk bulge hurt the sciatica nerve and I lost control over right foot.)

/luc

7. Shooshoo

Shooshoo New Member

I depend on the guy helping me to spin.

8. Josh

Josh Active Member

How do you think the guys who lead you feel about this?

9. Shooshoo

Shooshoo New Member

I'm sure it makes them happy...you know men ;) .

10. sac76

sac76 New Member

hi

wrong answer.....thats so not the way of doing spins....

11. Shooshoo

Shooshoo New Member

How nice/well I do my spins does depend alot on my lead. Some guys really help me to spin nicely and others I just HATE ti spin with.

12. Josh

Josh Active Member

Well shooshoo, you're right, the quality of your spins does depend very much on the lead from the guy. If it's not good, you will not be as effective. But generally you shouldn't rely on the guy to crank you through a turn. You should be able to turn yourself and only rely on his lead for an indication of when to start, continue, and stop turning, and the speed of the turn. A general principle that holds true in most any dance is that the leader does not create momentum. The follower creates her own movement, and the leader simply manipulates that movement. Hence, as a follower you want to be light and responsive, not relying on the man to make you move, and this holds true in a turn as well. Yes, you will use resistance to help you a bit, but the goal you should be aiming for is to turn on your own--in theory he should be able to walk away, and you could continue turning.

13. genEus

genEus New Member

:notworth:

14. Shooshoo

Shooshoo New Member

You describe it quite well. I just find that my spinning can differ so much depending on the leader. Sometimes it's so smooth and easy and other times I suffer so much. It is a factor of many things, I agree.

15. Shooshoo

Shooshoo New Member

Lazy, lazy, lazy....(men :rolleyes: )

16. Rumbera

Rumbera New Member

If a guy is spinning me off timing I usually take over and spin myself - or if his lead is pulling me off balance then I politely refuse to spin by stopping and doing a quick shine - I think it annoys them sometimes but better than spinning all over the place if they are bad drivers ... anyway we are the ones who look bad if a spin goes wrong... and we can't be having that :)

17. thespina13

thespina13 New Member

The only time I really have problems with doubles or triples is when the prep is really unclear, or really wild and rough. As to be expected. When I spin I like to have time to prep so I can do just exactly as josh says... and when the lead offers me that opportunity I usually elicit a "nice!" from him. I'm not at the stage in my dancing where I can compensate for a less skilled lead. I hope I get there soon, so I can quit being thrown off-balance and feeling like a schlepp.

18. noobster

noobster Member

So I keep hearing different things about this. Are you supposed to spin yourself, or are you supposed to let the guy spin you?

My instructor said I'm doing too much of the spin myself. He said I need to let the leader spin me. But then I read here that I should provide my own momentum completely. Is there a middle ground here that I'm missing?

Also, how do I tell how many spins I'm going into? I tend to prep for a double most of the time, then I think the guy is just giving me a single so I stop after one, and then a lot of the time I feel him giving me another one just as I'm slowing down, so I end up with 2-3 choppy singles instead of a nice double or triple. How do I fix this? Is there some advance-warning code I don't know about, or do I need to give up trying to provide my own momentum/brakes and just ride the lead?

19. Rumbera

Rumbera New Member

Theoretically you are supposed to let the guy spin you - but most guys never learn the correct technique to spin and that is when you need to compensate for it and spin yourself - that is why you are probably getting mixed messages. It all depends on the lead. Some guys give a signal to let you know if he is doing multiple turns... from my experience most common is as the lady steps back on 1 (or 2) he swings his hand down and out to ladys right into kind of a a half circle and then back up to lead the turn so you will know that the lead is different to a single turn - this gives you time to prep for multiple spins. I have quite often found myself doing a single spin and then the guy tries to do another one and I miss it... I just smile and carry on like nothing has happened. To be safe go for a single spin - but if you have prepped for a double then go through with it (dont hesitate) just as long as you come back on the correct timing you cant go wrong.

20. fallenangel

fallenangel New Member

For the ladies.. a double, triple, multiple spins.. usually you would need to prep into it. Where by your weight is on your right leg. If you're going for a double or more usually the momentum will get you for another spin.
    You have to be able to spin yourself and not let the guy spin you. Ladies, remember to spin from your center. One of the reasons why people can't multiple spin.
    When the guy spin you, he's there for support not to literally spin you. I hope somehow that makes sense.
    Then again of course they're always bad guys with the bad lead to spin you and that would not be your fault. After all he's the one that lead you into it. If you don't get a good prep or he force u into a spin cuz the lead was unclear (eg: he can't decide to spin u double or triple or even a single his problem)

Someone mention how do u know if it's a double or a triple spin??
    If you can spin by yourself (usually with a prep or push off spin) u can just go 1, 2 or triple spin when the guy lead u into the spin. Somehow the guy still have to stop spinning u when he's done. When you have your center when you spin, u don't have to worry about what spin he's trying to throw u, cuz you're very stable. If you would depend on the guy and the guy has bad lead you're bound to tip over.

Definatly agree with Rumbera, whatever it is.. if you missed it as long as u come back to the timing.. everything is COOL ;) ;)