Swing Discussion Boards > Forming a USA Lindy Hop Federation

Discussion in 'Swing Discussion Boards' started by Black Sheep, Jul 10, 2003.

1. Black Sheep

Black Sheep New Member

The following are initial suggestions for forming a 'Usa Lindy Federation'.
    If we limit ourselves to suggested parameters for the Federation and avoid
    dooms Sayers's remarks, we should be able to get an acceptable foundation
    for our UsaLF within a matter of days, and maybe have our first Convention
    at Camp Hollywood if Hilary could schedule a two hour segment during her
    coming annual event this July 31. So start making your contributions on
    this thread. It's the start of a NEW ERA for the health and longevity of the
    Lindy! Let's Unite, the time is right!
    PROCEDURE:
    Call a National Convention of All Annual Venue Hosts and organized
    Independent Lindy Organization with a 100 certified members or more to:
    1) Elect a temporary Chairman chosen from among themselves, plus a secretary
    to take minutes by recording.
    2) Decide the date and place of their next meeting;
    3) To set up parameters for membership excluding any member of a Chain
    Studio (two or more affiliated studios) *
    4) Limit the function of the Federation to organizing publicity, Set up
    agreements between Federation members, separating annual events to avoid
    conflicts in scheduling dates, determining methods of raising money to
    finance administrative functions.
    5) Collecting written suggestions from Independent Dance Studio owners, for
    eventual evaluation.
    6) All styles of Lindy/swing are valid in this UsaLF
    *Chain Studios have their own franchise organization their own rules,
    regulations and are limited by their own legal franchise contracts.
    Joe Lanza aka Black Sheep

2. DanceMentor

DanceMentor Administrator

While I've heard many people say that any attempt to organize Lindy Hop will be destructive to the preservation and creativity, I must say it may actually have the opposite effect. If Lindy is promoted in an organized way, MORE people are going to become dancers bringing their own creativity. While I've heard there have been some major problems in the past with supposed "National Lindy Hop Champions", who cleary only danced a against a regional group of competitors, competitions can be very beneficial because they cause people to work harder to create exceptional dance routines. Finally, while I've heard that organizing a Federation would cause "politics", I think there is clearly "politics" in Lindy already. Organization can only help Lindy...dissenters welcome!

3. d nice

d nice New Member

I think the chances of this working and going anywhere to be about 10,000 to 1 against.

The majority of dancers who have been approached see no added benefit from a national organization. There are more skilled dancers, teachers, and competitors now than has been at any other point in history. The dance has strong movements in it towards continual evolution and at the same time preservation of the vintage styles.

Competitions, competitions and camps are popping up like mushrooms, and workshops can be found in or near any major city in North America.

The strongest and most receant development amongst lindy hoppers is the recovery of its heritage, competitions that are eliminating the uncharacteristic influences of other dances. Competitions that have turned their backs on the ballroom and west coast swing rules thatg governed so many of the larger comps, as well as a dismall of the Western European values about what is "Good Dancing" and an embracement of the original African American values.

There will be no groundswell of support for any organization that seeks to impose anything, be it points, a definition of the dance, or even promotion of member events. An organization that serves the dual purpose of preservation of the dances history and dance educatrion (be it by video, teaching, performance, or written archives).

4. DanceMentor

Those are good points, d nice.

And I might add that Lindy is already organized in many ways in the form of camps, teams and even schools. In many ways the organizationof Lindy Hop is similar to Salsa.

5. d nice

d nice New Member

Exactly. There are numerous local societies and foundations who goal is outreach, education, publicity, and promotion.

The best thing a national group could do would be to act as a networking tool... the thing is most of the various big-wigs of these local/regional organizations actually are already in contact with each other. No real need to formalize it.

I just don't get the need to formalize and bureaucracize what is in fact a perfectly functional, organic, grass-roots network.

As the old saying goes... "If it ain't broke, don't fix it!"

6. DanceMentor

If an organization was able to gain the respect of the community and did a good job of making Lindy bigger than it is now as well as increase attendance to events, then I think some people would join.

I don't think we can suddenly start a federation, but if someone builds something from the ground up that earns the respect and appreciation of a large enough group of people and organizers, then maybe there will be a federation one day. I'm not going to say a federation is wrong or can't happen, but it will take some very dedicated people over a long period of time.

I might remind people that even Ballroom Dancing lacks one overall federation. Rather, there are many federations in different regions and styles. The same applies to Martial Arts as well as Ice Skating.

7. Guest

Guest Guest

I think you two are nearly on the same page in some respects:
    Can you think of some examples "if Lindy is promoted in an organized way, MORE people are going to become dancers bringing their own creativity?" I'm curious what your thoughts are, because it sounds like you have some well thought out ideas.

-FF