General Dance Discussion > Fort Worth Shuffle

Discussion in 'General Dance Discussion' started by Spitfire, Jun 10, 2004.

1. Spitfire

Spitfire Well-Known Member

What is the Fort Worth Shuffle?

I saw it listed on another site, but with no description. I've never heard of it.

2. Larinda McRaven

Larinda McRaven Site Moderator Staff Member

here is a description I found on the web

3. Sagitta

Sagitta Well-Known Member

I believe that it is a fast C&W dance. Any C&W dancers know this one?

4. Spitfire

Spitfire Well-Known Member

Triple two step - never heard of that one either.

Must be due to being out of C&W dancing for so long. :?

5. Sagitta

Sagitta Well-Known Member

I like the sound of this dance....smooth... :)

6. mycajah

mycajah New Member

Howdy everyone! I'm new to this forum.

This is an old thread and maybe no one cars anymore, but from personal experience I know that the Fort Worth Shuffle is older than 10 years. I grew up in Arlington when there were still pastures in town. I learned to dance in 1975 in dance halls out on the County Line east of town. Then danced at the Chip Inn after Friday night buck, at Nine Acres, at the Silver Zephyr in Fort
    Worth and at various clubs on the North Side. The shuffle dance was a very popular dance way back then. It's a smooth step perfect for spinning. I do it with my shoulders and left hand relatively still. The left hand is for leading not keeping the beat.

7. etp777

etp777 Active Member

Welcome to DF, mycajah. And thanks for sharing, even though it's an old thread, always us dance addicts here willing to learn more. :)

8. TheHallMonitor

TheHallMonitor New Member

This is my first time on this forum. Just ran across this discussion on the Fort Worth Shuffle and thought I'd throw in my 2 cents. It's a great dance step. Very smooth. I learned it 35 years ago at the old Rustlers Rest dance hall in Fort Worth. Like mycajah I've danced it at Chip Inn, Nine Acres, Texas Silver Zephyr, the dance halls on the County Line Strip, as well as others. It's still popular. In fact, I'm taking a date out to the Stagecoach Ballroom in Fort Worth tonight for some dancin'. I'm sure that we will be doing the suffle most of the time. Y'all keep on dancin'.

9. RickRS

RickRS Member

HallMonitor, welcome to the forum. Hope you enjoy it here.

Do you do other dance styles beside CW?

10. TheHallMonitor

TheHallMonitor New Member

Yeah, I go Square Dancing frequently.

11. Terpsichorean Clod

Terpsichorean Clod Moderator

Thank you for sharing and welcome to Dance Forums, TheHallMonitor! :)

12. RichE

RichE New Member

I've been doing the FWS for several years and would like to know it's history. Would also like to advance the dance. It's currently being taught in Fort Worth at Rodeo Exchange and Electric Cowboy.

13. Terpsichorean Clod

Terpsichorean Clod Moderator

I'm sorry I don't know anything about the Fort Worth Shuffle, but I hope someone will chime in with what you're looking for. Welcome to Dance Forums! :)

14. RichE

RichE New Member

It's a nice dance. IMO the Fort Worth Shuffle is to Country Western like West Coast Swing is to East Coast Swing. Because of the smoothness I can add in sensual styling. To maintain the continuous flow (like ice skating) many of the moves are prepped at the end of one move and finished in the beginning of the next move making the dance hard to learn for a beginner, but I’m in love with the dance and I guess in the end that's all that matters.

15. bjp22tango

bjp22tango Active Member

16. RIdancer82

RIdancer82 New Member

Years ago, at a studio in Rhode Island, I used to watch one of the instructors dance this with a student, while the rest of us were dancing quickstep, at every studio party... I always wondered what dance they were doing with all that spinning... interesting to now know what it was :)

17. jennyisdancing

jennyisdancing Active Member

I've never seen this dance in person, but from the videos it looks fun. I'm not a big fan of regular country 2-step, and FWS seems so much more flowing and "dancey" to me.

ETA: this is an instructional video - they also call the dance "double two step"
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zmJ69KMKafI

18. RichE

RichE New Member

It’s called many things, but in Fort Worth we emphasize the shuffle aspect, each step is more of a glide. It is very flowing, that’s the challenge, to keep it flowing. It keeps me on my toes.

Thanks guys for finding this stuff.

19. RichE

RichE New Member

Yes, it can be dizzying, but the moves consist of both left and right turns so mixing it up keeps the dizzy down unless I’m with Dee and she only wants to do left turns. We try to see who dizzies out first. Lately she’s been winning.

Thanks for finding the U-Tubes. I'll create an album.

20. Ray Sison

Ray Sison New Member

Living here in the Dallas-Fort Worth area, I get to see this wonderful dance firsthand quite a lot! And actually dance it once in a blue moon! (I used to dance it a lot more.)