Swing Discussion Boards > Frankie Manning: May 26, 1914 - April 27, 2009

Discussion in 'Swing Discussion Boards' started by Apache, Apr 27, 2009.

1. Apache

Apache Member

Frankie Manning, a legendary Lindy Hopper has passed away this Monday morning.

He was an inspiration to thousands of swing dancers across the globe and will be sorely missed.

Classic film of Frankie, part of Whitey's Lindy Hoppers in Hellzapoppin
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mTg5V2oA_hY&feature=related

2. kayak

kayak Active Member

That is a big loss for the swing dance world. Glad the big birthday dance thingy went well last year.

That video and most others I have watched from him make me tired just watching. I think he needed faster feet :D

3. Larinda McRaven

Larinda McRaven Site Moderator Staff Member

woah.... that is sad news!

4. rockingdj

rockingdj New Member

Frankie Manning - Rest In Peace

Unfortunately I have some sad news to pass along. I'm not sure how many of you may be familiar with Frankie Manning - he was one of the masters of Lindy Hop from the Savoy Ballroom in Harlem in the 1930's - after battling health problems for the past several months, he succumbed to pneumonia early this morning at the age of 94. RIP Frankie!

Here's the announcement from another dance forum:

With a very sad heart I post news from New York that Frankie Manning has passed away due to complications of pneumonia early this morning. His passing was peaceful.

Please take a moment to remember him and his family on this day.

Our Great Ambassador of Lindy Hop is now at rest.

http://www.frankiemanning.com

Michelle

David Rothenberg

5. SDsalsaguy

SDsalsaguy Administrator Staff Member

Very sad news indeed. :(

Still, I would consider myself beyond blessed to have touched and inspired even a fraction of as many when my time comes. If we are poorer for his loss today, we are stll infinitely richer for the time he was with us.

6. basicarita

basicarita Member

Mr. Manning was a true gracious legend. There will never be another.
    :(
    RIP

7. DanceMentor

DanceMentor Administrator

8. Apache

Apache Member

9. Steve Pastor

Steve Pastor Moderator Staff Member

Maybe because my father was in WW II, and some of his photographs inspired me to visit a site in Germany where he'd been, I've been looking at which of the known Lindy Hop / Swing dancers did what during the war years.
    I just finished this paragraph for Manning.

Frankie Manning was in Brazil on tour with other Lindy Hoppers when he received his draft papers which were forwarded by his mother. Once he managed to return to the States, a story in itself, and reported for duty he initially “became something of a sad sack.” But when the officers of his company took the troops to hospitals where they saw “veterans who had fought in the South Pacific and had lost an arm or leg, were maimed, or were delirious,” he decided that he should know what he was doing, and began applying himself to his training. He participated in the invasion of New Guinea, became a squad leader with the rank of sergeant, and received several medals, some of which were for specific incidents, including a commendation for bravery. By early 1946 when he was discharged, he was a master sergeant. [Manning pages 191 – 197]

leee and j_alexandra like this.