Event Announcements > Free Classes this weekend in Toronto

Discussion in 'Event Announcements' started by Medira, Aug 11, 2006.

1. Medira

Medira New Member

As part of this weekend's Taste of the Danforth festival, the Joy of Dance studio will be hosting an Open House featuring free 45-minute group lessons.

Schedule:

Friday August 11
    6:30 International Standard
    8:00 Salsa

Saturday August 12
    1:00 NIA
    5:00 Hip Hop
    6:00 American Smooth
    7:00 Salsa

Sunday August 13
    1:00 American Rhythm
    3:00 American Smooth

Joy of Dance Studio
    95 Danforth Ave., Suite 302
    (on the corner of Broadview and Danforth, above the realtor and across the hall from the yoga studio, half a block south of the Broadview subway station)

For more information:
    (416) 406-3262
    info@joyofdance.ca

All classes are free, so come on by!

2. Keelzorz

Keelzorz New Member

So, maybe I have the dumb today, but what's NIA?

3. and123

and123 Well-Known Member

Neuromuscular Integrative Action

4. mamboqueen

mamboqueen Well-Known Member

I'm really bummed out that I didn't take NIA classes when they had them at my local YMCA. I've heard they are great in getting you to have more body awareness.

5. Medira

Medira New Member

They are! Most of the classes have a strong focus on core strength, centering and grounding. I find the bast way to describe what it is, is a cross between yoga, lyrical dance and creative expression. It isn't really a set choreography for a class, there's always a component that makes each move individual to you. It could be anything from just arms while your feet are doing a simple, set pattern to a whole song for you to free dance.

If you're interested in checking out a class, have a look here to see if there's one in your area.