Freestyle dancing!!

Discussion in 'General Dance Discussion' started by Sagitta, Dec 13, 2003.

?

How often do you go freestyle dancing?

1. Rarely

94.2%
  2. About once a week

2.5%
  3. Couple times a week

1.4%
  4. I'm addicted

1.8%
  1. Sagitta

Sagitta Well-Known Member

Mentions of freestyle has been repeatedly popping up in the DFs the past several days. It was really popular in the 80s and 90s, but do you think that it is as popular now? And what songs do people dance to? So, if you like salsaholic will you freestlye to latin songs, or do you have to do it to another genre...?
  2. Dancegal

Dancegal Member

At a local C&W club I go to, when they play pop songs a lot of people who WCS do so and some folks who don't will form a circle and freestyle. I WCS these, else I'll usually sit it out. I tend to feel like a fish out of water when freestyling since I gotten so used to partner dancing - feel like I need my partner to do "cool stuff". However, I proved myself wrong a couple of nights ago - went to a Christmas party with 7 other women and 1 guy we shared - almost everyone else had dates - but when we wanted to dance we'd just go out there and dance. Somehow, I let it all out :D - they played pop, salsa and merengue (woohoo). And we had a great time! Ok, it left me wanting more :shock: :wink: , but that was okay - still glad I went.
  3. pygmalion

pygmalion Well-Known Member

Freestyle dancing is my absolute favorite! I don't get to do it as often, now that I'm diong all sorts of other dancing as well. But I'm finding that the formalized dance techniques I learn sort of spill over and enhance my freestyle dancing. Fun!
  4. Sagitta

Like dancegal I find myself doing freestyle when I know quite a few people and there is a really extreme imbalance of guys/gals. I also do freestyle as the first step to gettting people to dance. Once they are up freestyling it's not that hard to shift them into partnered dancing!! :) So there definitely is freestyle dancing for me at the every-other month Ithaca social dance. The months when they do latin I find it harder to do freestyle!!

And I do find that partnered dancing has helped out my freestyle dancing, just as you have Pygmailion. In addition jazz moves have helped out too. I need to take more jazz classes/lessons!!!
  5. Spitfire

Spitfire Well-Known Member

It's been at least five years since I've done any freestyle dancing.
  6. swingin' baby

swingin' baby New Member

I can't believe more people don't do freestyle, I do it twice a week at the very least! It's absolutely fantastic!
  7. Sagitta

It's a completely different dynamic swingin' baby. That's what it is. The connection that you have with partnered dancing is not there. Having said that I agree it is a lot of fun. BUT, partnered dancing usually wins out...
  8. Dancegal

Dancegal Member

True - at the Christmas party I referred to earlier in this thread, I danced a Two-Step (my one partner dance of the night) and I thought I was in heaven (C&W Two-Step is fine but not my favorite dance). It's like I "craved" the connection with my partner. I can dance salsa and merengue solo if I have to - I mean, the music is MADE for dancing - how can the body and feet NOT move :D ! - however, country/western is strictly a partner dance (except for boot-scoop boogie and other line dances that can be done if there's the floor space and enough people want to join in).
  9. dnquark

dnquark New Member

I generally don't like dancing freestyle, because I don't know how to. Now, you may say that this is the whole point -- of FREEstyle, doing whatever you feel like to music. But I find that I still prefer a framework within which I can express myself, which is what partner dancing has (in addition to the many other benefits :) )

That being said, I did find recently that I was way more comfortable dancing freestyle to pop music than I was before I started dancing. But in order to really enjoy it, I feel that I'd have to spend some time in front of the mirror to at least know what I look like. A modicum of instruction would be lovely, but where are you gonna find that :)

--l
  10. dancersdreamland

dancersdreamland New Member

I rarely free-style dance, but wish I did more. I tend to feel like I have NO CLUE what I'm doing and then don't do it for fear of looking stupid. It's a personal fear I intend to overcome.
  11. Sagitta

Well, DDL I would just do moves from your extensive dance background and you probably can do a lot more then most people out there, myself including!! :) I have done jazz moves, charleston moves, salsa shine moves and have had people imitating/trying to imitate me and friends asking me to show them how to do what I was doing.
  12. Sarah

Sarah New Member

You mean you don't find belly dance moves popping out on the dance floor? I tend to find that my freestyling tends to resemble whatever I've been practicing most recently, wether it be salsa, BD or aikido....

Cheers
    Sarah
  13. dancersdreamland

dancersdreamland New Member

Guess I never really thought of using belly dance or jazz in free style... :oops: I must just be silly not to have seen how natural both would work with free style...I think I may have to find somewhere to dance for New Year's and kick in 2004 with a little sassiness.

Thanks for the SUPER ideas!
  14. veeann

veeann New Member

freestlye in detroit

WOW !!! I started off with a little classical dance training and fell into my own "freestyle" I love hip-hop dance and found I`m quite good at it.
    Partner dancing is such a great feeling of control, sensuality, and exhilaration. But most often I am left without an adequate partner and go crazy with freestyle. you are really missing out on this open form of expression.
    also. I need guidance... please help me find people in the detroit metro area that love all dance as much as I... thanks
  15. dancin_feet

dancin_feet New Member

I may go out to freestyle dance a couple of times a year, but I'm always dancing at home, even at the studio in class if the instructor is showing the man's part, or helping someone else I'll be giving a bit of a wiggle to the music!

Love freestyling!
  16. motardmom

motardmom New Member

This is me!!! I don't freestyle, I just don't know how. It's something I have never done. At one of the places I dance, there's a point that often comes sometime around 12:30-1 am where the dj is playing reggae and people will start freestyling. I've had my partner try to get me to freestyle, and he starts dancing, and it's like as soon as I loose physical contact with him, my brain shuts down and I stand there like a moron doing the 7th grade two step (step together, step together...) My partner will say, "Move your body... you can do it! Come on.... :) " and I'm standing there, petrified. I feel so awkward. I genuinely hate this point of the dance. What makes it worse is the dj starts mixing the music to blend this one dance into one that lasts - seriously - forever! Ok, maybe closer to 15 minutes. My regular partners now know how uncomfortable I am with freestyling, so we'll just do reggae for a little while, then we'll sit the rest of the song out.

It's a drag, I wish I could freestyle better. I know that part of my problem comes from a general feeling of discomfort with how my body moves. I don't know why I'm not uncomfortable when I'm dancing with a partner but I am very uncomfortable dancing alone.

How exactly does a person learn to freestyle anyway?

Maybe this is something like being overly sensitive about the clothes you wear - it doesn't really matter because people really don't care or remember anyway...?
  17. Sagitta

When partner dancing there are many cluies that you can follow from your partner. When freestyling there also are clues but they are given differently. Freestyling also invloves a different way of moving teh body, and so if one isn't used to it wouldn't it be uncomfotable?
  18. motardmom

motardmom New Member

How does one learn to follow in freestyle then? I'd really like to be able to participate.
  19. Sagitta

By doing it, not worrying that you look out of place, and just doing it. I've learnt enough dances to know that there are always sticking points where one feels uncomfortable. Just doing your best, and perhaps practicing at home moving to music? I'm not the greatest myself. :oops: I usually grab my partner and get some partner dancing in as well. :oops: :)
  20. squirrel

squirrel New Member

Very rarely... once in a blue moon!

I don't enjoy anything else but Salsa! And the occasional Merengue, Bachata and Cha cha! :)

So whenever we're talking non-partner dance, I am so uninterested! Unless I am in a very good mood, and I am with my friends, and they play something different than the usual Salsa... then I move to the beat...

But I remember one night when I just had to go to our Salsa club (bad night for salseros, and I knew it, but a friend asked me to)... I was with part of the gang, but I hated the music so I sat down for 3 hours! :shock: :shock: :shock: