General Dance Discussion > Freestyle dancing!!

Discussion in 'General Dance Discussion' started by Sagitta, Dec 13, 2003.

?

How often do you go freestyle dancing?

1. Rarely

94.2%
  2. About once a week

2.5%
  3. Couple times a week

1.4%
  4. I'm addicted

1.8%
  1. Jag75

Jag75 Active Member

One thing I think is important when learning a partner dance (like salsa) is to learn body movement, and how to "groove" to the music. This is what dancing is...

I know a lot of people who will partner dance till the cows come home, but as soon as they are left alone they freeze. If you're feeling the music, and the music moves you, then why can't you do it on your own?

Not to be critical, but being able to move to the music and having a good sense of body movement really is as fundamental as having a good basic step.

I also know people who dance salsa but don't actually enjoy the music. This mystifies me. Why on earth would you bother learning a dance if you're not into the music???

Partner dancing is not supposed to be mechanical, it's an expression of the music. I believe that if you can truly express the music with a partner, you can express it on your own.

juwest333 likes this.
  2. opendoor

opendoor Well-Known Member

Well said, Jag.
    For a great number of people the partner aspect in partner dancing goes for a crutch (railing, structure). This holds true for me, too. I´ve started late in my life with dancing (esp. tango) and for 12 years I was totally absorbed with this dance. Then suddenly a new window opened and I began searching for something new. I started with free style dancing.

Free style dancing really is much more complicated than partner dancing!

3. Warren J. Dew

Warren J. Dew Well-Known Member

I think you're missing the point of the "partner" part of partner dancing.

4. Generalist

Generalist Active Member

I dance freestyle but more out of necessity than desire. Most bars with good live bands don't have people that know how to dance so if I want to dance with ladies I have no choice but to dance freestyle. At these same bars if I bring a lady we often get crowded out so we have to dance freestyle if we want to remain on the dance floor.

Sometimes I enjoy freestyle but it gets old very quickly.

I believe calling the dance "freestyle" is somewhat of a misnomer because all dancing is freestyle if it isn't choreographed.

5. Bailamosdance

Bailamosdance Well-Known Member

6. Phooey

Phooey New Member

That's right, because as the famous old saying goes, "You should dance as if people are watching and judging you." Dancing did not exist prior to the evolution of rules, structure, form, and the possibility of other people thinking less of you for doing something different.

Not that I freestyle dance, but I'd say it takes courage to go out on the dance floor and look foolish because the music moves you to do so. If Taylor Swift starts feeling the music and dancing out in public and it looks strange, I think the need to mock her for it should cause you to reflect on your own attitude, rather than her dancing.

7. Jag75

Jag75 Active Member

How so? My "freestyle" dancing in clubs has certainly improved due to being a salsa dancer. This is where I move to the music in a way that works and hopefully looks good. Learning how to control my body better has enabled me to better do this.

I've been doing body movement exercises for 6 years now, and find that I'm now freer as a dancer than ever before, purely because I've learned the "rules" for body movement, which includes isolations, co-ordinated movement, cuban motion and contra-body movement (which is linked to cm in salsa).

As well as all that a big part of salsa is performing "shines". You learn the ingredients to be able to move your feet and body when not connected directly with your partner, and whilst intimidating at first, equips you to be able to move well in clubs.

juwest333 likes this.
  8. Wow it's shocking people rarely do freestyle dancing.I can't believe that!

juwest333 likes this.
  9. Generalist

Generalist Active Member

I think salsa music is very one dimensional. I dance salsa because lots of ladies dance it.

10. Lui

Lui Active Member

Was not every dance born from free style dancing once?

Where is the line between free and regulated?

11. twnkltoz

twnkltoz Well-Known Member

So partner dancing, to you, is all about your movement, to the music, where you just happened to be touching a partner?

Bailamosdance likes this.
  12. Steve Pastor

Steve Pastor Moderator Staff Member

Well, people who post on DF are a self selected group; because this forum is about partner dancing.

13. juwest333

juwest333 Active Member

This probably depends on what kind of dance that you do, but I feel freestyle plays a very important part in partner dancing. When I look around on a dance floor at a social function, what I mostly see are something akin to robots: dancers doing patterns in the exact same way, in the exact same order and no individuality in their movements at all.

When partner dancing, if a certain part in the music so moves me, I will break away from my partner and do some kind of solo movement for a measure or two.

Freestyle is where I experiment, take risks, try new movements, new ideas, etc. and see how I can incorporate them into my partner dancing.

14. phalapartinhay

phalapartinhay New Member

omg--I free style like crazy--been going tonight since 7 pm w/water bathroom breaks--I believe I am reincarnation of Isadora Duncan--I even forget I smoke when dancing--- I once signed up for lessons and the instruct'r asked where I 'trained'--I said 'my living room'

15. opendoor

As said above. Freestyle dancing is more difficult than codified dancing. And all those who cannot handle this challenge gather here.

Last edited: Jul 1, 2014
  16. Bailamosdance

The freestyle that I see is usually codified movement done to strict tempo EDM. How is this more difficult? Only one tempo, one form, etc… ?

17. opendoor

..in self-conquest.

18. phalapartinhay

phalapartinhay New Member

My secret to freestyle is just pretend you are the singer--and move accordingly--I like to move to Didn't I B;ow Your Mind-Wrecking Ball--We Can't Stop--Dancing Queen--It Tears Me Up (Percy Sledge)--Oh What a Night--Sleep Walk--Sugar Town--almost anything--Isn't Freestyle the dance that was done in Silver Lining Notebook?

19. Bailamosdance

20. flightco

flightco Well-Known Member

I had never been any type of dancer until I started partner dance. Not to say I never did freestyle but only when forced to. A few years ago a girl i was dating actually said to me, "you probably just shouldn't dance." It was that bad. Since I have started partner dancing I have had a few occasions to freestyle and I am sure it left a lot to be desired but for the first time in my life girls are asking me to dance (freestyle). I think that most ballroom dancers can pull it off; you understand the rhythm of the music, the timing, phrasing, etc. Depending on the music I will mix in what ever steps I know from the rhythm dances and even though it is not partner dancing I will grab the ladies hand and give her a turn now and then. I probably couldn't pull this off at Studio 54 (is it even still open?), but it works for the local bar with a band, weddings, parties, etc. Last week we were in the lounge after dinner and a band was playing. My wife and I started the ball rolling by doing a rumbaesque dance to music that was a little to fast for rumba, we just played with it and had a great time and the band complimented us. Next dance the floor was filled.

Now that I have said this, maybe I have no idea what freestyle really is, I just assumed it is something other than ballroom type partner dancing. Maybe if you touch at all it is not freestyle; in which case, my answer is, no - I do not freestyle:(