Tango Argentino > Videos > Fresedo con Dizzy Gillespie

Discussion in 'Videos' started by bordertangoman, May 18, 2011.

1. bordertangoman

bordertangoman Well-Known Member

what a find..

2. UKDancer

UKDancer Well-Known Member

As a curiosity, yes, but I'm afraid Fresedo has gone down in my estimation ...

3. bordertangoman

bordertangoman Well-Known Member

i dont suppose he cares, he died in 1984

4. UKDancer

I don't suppose he would care any more if he was still alive.

He did much the same for Adios Muchachos too ...

[yt]aT0L-lo2ZY0[/yt]

5. dchester

dchester Moderator Staff Member

Because of this song?

6. UKDancer

Well, certainly taking the two together, yes. But I didn't rate him very highly to start with, to be honest, which I'll cheerfully concede might be my loss ...

7. opendoor

opendoor Well-Known Member

A Find that Fresedo must have been an anxious or faint-hearted band leader. Dizzy Gillespie only took part as soloist. Actually there is no collaboration or dialog in a deeper sense between music genres, or styles. Gillespie got some windows for runs, soli, and cadences, and end. Though Gillespie was from 1944 on one of those Bebop pioneers!

Completely different the situation with the Nuevo pioneers. They sought after an dialog across cultural borders: Piazzolla who was interested in the german degenerate music of Arnold Schoenberg and Paul Hindemith, or Eduardo Rovira who studied Johann Sebastian Bach.

8. tangomonkey

tangomonkey Active Member

Well, OD, the New Viennese School is not on my list of all time great composers, but degenerate? Is that how Schoenberg, Webern, and Berg (and Hindemith) are thought of in Deutschland? Sie haben geniale momente. (pardon my very limited and probably incorrect German)

9. opendoor

opendoor Well-Known Member

Sorry, thought it was a much wider used term, today it is in fact more kind of an honory title. You know the Nazi dictatorship banned modern and experimental arts totally and forced the artists (in the most favorable case) to leave HitlerĀ“s Germany. And the term "degenerate music" simply is the Nazi talk of that time.

See wiki article degenerate art

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Degenerate_art