General Dance Discussion > Friendliness At Social Dances, Related to Type of Dance?

Discussion in 'General Dance Discussion' started by Phil Owl, Apr 1, 2003.

1. samina

samina Well-Known Member

one key i learned about navigating "friendliness" at clubs... don't let a man buy you a drink unless he's a friend you know loves to mix & is not going to be putting the make on you all night... i have experienced The Drink time & again as a shackle outreach, adding yet another nuance that has to be navigated.

i've found that taking care of myself WRT drinks works best, especially with men you know just from the local salsa scene.

2. tanya_the_dancer

tanya_the_dancer Well-Known Member

Start your evening at 11???? :)

3. samina

samina Well-Known Member

lol... sure. drive an hour and then dance roughly 2-1/2 hours til the club closes. ;)

a perfect summer evening, i might add. :D

4. fascination

fascination Site Moderator Staff Member

do not know how to say this more clearly...ladies, buy your own drinks

5. fascination

fascination Site Moderator Staff Member

omg ...how did I must that????:shock: ...um, yep...what he said...ditto

6. noobster

noobster Member

Hee hee... I let my friends buy me drinks all the time, and I buy them drinks too. I wouldn't ever let a stranger in a bar buy me one, but there is definitely a weird gray zone with salsa-acquaintances I may have danced with a few times but don't know well.

I actually got myself in a bit of a pickle by buying a drink for a guy like this once. I was standing at the bar buying my own drink and he came up to get one, we were casually friendly and it felt normal to just pick his up too. Honestly I thought he was gay or I might have thought twice about the implications before buying his drink... turned out he was not gay and he thought I was making an advance! :mrgreen:

7. DennisBeach

DennisBeach New Member

We ballroom dance at a variety of places in southeast Wisconsin and find people to be friendly at most places. Some people have their own group and tend to avoid others. Swing is the same way.

8. tsb

tsb Well-Known Member

i'll be visiting my sister in milwaukee (brookfield) the weekend of june 9th-10th. any places nearby? PM me if you have any suggestions - i log in about once a month nowadays.