Salsa > Friendliness on the Scene

Discussion in 'Salsa' started by volleybgrl, May 13, 2004.

1. Sabor

Sabor New Member

[singing] Puerto Rico.. where i belong there in your arms.. Puerto Rico.. baila bailaaa [singing]

gotta luv those people.. especially the mamacitas! 8) WOWZA!

2. borikensalsero

borikensalsero Moderator

Speaking of women dancing in PR... Ooops, I might just be changing topics...

As a group I've never seen salseras dance as sexy as those Rican salseras.. They are just so darn sensual when they dance. Very not NY/LA, they are just awesome to dance with...

A lot of them feel like a soft blanket just out of the dryer, cuddly, soft, smooth, touching them causes a gentle hand to become heavenly... they are just so "femenine". Here in NY I've danced with 3 girls who have felt like that since I started dancing. In PR, just about all of them feel so. Granted, in skill they are years behind, but in sensuality, and smoothness, I've got to give them props...

I wanna go back to Havana (Small salsa club in Santurce Puerto Rico) - Not what it used to be years back.

3. MacMoto

MacMoto Active Member

No, no, I want to hear more please! It's great to learn about salsa scenes outside my little (albeit friendly) pond. You are so well travelled, Salsera_alemana. :notworth: :notworth: :notworth: That's what I wanna do -- a salsa trip around the world!

4. Sabor

Sabor New Member

EXACTLY!!! :D :D :D .. unfortunately i only ever danced but with one Ricana who happened to be visiting Egypt.. most of my dancing (aside from the locals) were with cubanas and Eurpopeans in general.. and one day out of the blue this Ricana ask me to dance :shock: .. imagine that heavenly creature asking grumpy old me to dance!!! well i did.. and she just left me holding my chest with both hands to keep it from popping out of my chest from passion overdose! :shock: ouch ouch ouch ouch ouch!!! etc.. etc. etc.. :lol:

5. Pacion

Pacion New Member

Yes, imagine that! :shock: :twisted: :lol:

Hi Sabor :D

6. borikensalsero

borikensalsero Moderator

OUCH!!!

7. Sabor

Sabor New Member

umm.. but i get asked to dance all the time mon cherie :wink: .. wouldn't u ask me if it were u? :mrgreen:

8. Pacion

Pacion New Member

:nope: only if you were to welcome me with a long stemmed red rose between your teeth :lol:

Before Enquiring minds ask, it wasn't me :wink: :lol:

9. Boriquen,

I totally agree with you, although I see it from a woman's perspective. Puerto Rican female dancers have always been my ideal. That is how I would like to be able to move one day dancing salsa!!!!!! Yes, yes, yes!!!! Not LAish, not NYish sino como una boricua!!! :banana: :bouncy: :banana:

They are very sensual, sexy, feminine, and always with elegance and style!!! Never look trashy or vulgar.

As a WOMAN I have to sing my praises to the Puerto Rican MALE dancers! They have always been my favorite dancers! I just love the way they move, their sabor and their elegance! I love to just watch them dance, but of course I even more love dancing with them. Especially nowadays where I see so many wild dancers, jumping and kicking and spinning and you name it. There are so few Puerto Rican dancers in Germany now. We used to have so many in the "good old days". Thanks God I can call one of them my own :D .

The Havana is a lot more casual than the clubs in San Juan used to be, even in Puerto Rico people go out in jeans now. Have you been at the salsa club in el Caribe Hilton when it still existed? Everybody was dressed up, the women in very elegant and sexy dresses! I just looove to go to those special dances in PR with 4 salsa bands. That is usually where you can see many of the good dancers, where the ambiente is really nice. In 2000 we went to a dance at The Arena at Pier 10 in Old San Juan with El Gran Combo, La Típica 73 with Tito Allen, Tommy Olivencia and Justo Betancourt. And we had Charlie Aponte (one of the singers of El Gran Combo) + wife as company at our table (coincidence, he knew someone else at our table). At those events I usually pinch myself to feel that I am really there and not dreaming :bouncy:

(Dreaming now about dancing en la Isla del Encanto.... will have to wait until September)

10. borikensalsero

borikensalsero Moderator

WEPAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA Salsera-Alemana...

Indeed, indeed I've went to Salsa at the Hilton...

PR has been so americanized that now Jeans and a shirt is considered "dressy"... :(

My aunt is a salsa lover, she calls me all the time telling me she is watching El Gran Combo, La Sonora Poncena, Gilbertito, etc, for free... To top it all off, tells me that she is having a cold one for $1.50... Ahhhhh

I love how Male rican dancers dance as well. In a recent trip to PR, i was talking to one the "leading" salseras in PR right now. She told me that in PR, the males are taught to accentuate masculinity, tenderness, sexiness, basically cater to the lady, yet looking as masculine-sexy as possible. Which, I happen to agree with, they are able to dance exactly that way. A flurtatious, sexy, yet masculine display of salsa. WEPA!!! Goes, right in hand with ladies.

A friend of mine was telling me a story about one of the Congress'. She mentioned how tired she was of seeing the same performaces night after night, aireal shows, and all the crazy fast stuff, then she heard a hot song, went she went to see, there was the rican group performing.

She called it a breath of fresh air to see salsa with sensuality, poise, flurtatious, yet exciting. She couldn't believe how the simplicity of their performance made it that much more exciting to finally see a salsa with dancing, performance. Not one with spins, jumps, dips, etc...

Contra men, Charlie Aponte y to'... WEPA!!! That is a hot story...

BTW, this month they are going to have a tribute to la Tipica in El Coliseo Roberto Clemente, or is it Irahm Bithom... Anyways, the one in Bayamon.

11. tj

tj New Member

That was a great post, salsera_alemana!

And yes, I find that the whole "competitive" thing mixed in with jealousy and envy is the bane of salsa scenes in general. It's unfortunate that this is so common, but thankfully it's not always the case.

12. dragon3085

dragon3085 New Member

Its been a year or two now, but the place is called Bash on Ash Salsa night is every sunday. IT was by far the best place I found in Phoenix. There was a cuban resturant toward scottsdale that was good too, but I can't recall the name. I have a matchbook from the place so IF I run across it I will let you know.

patrick

13. Boriquen,

OK, whenever you feel like being masoquista and want to know what you are currently missing out on in San Juan go to http://www.abailarsalsa.tk/. That is for people who like to suffer :cry:

I totally agree with her. Although I love to see good shows, it is getting old. Not that I have been to so many congresses. I was at one evening event each at 2 Congresos in San Juan and at one evening event at the Bacardí Congreso in Stuttgart/Germany last year. And I have seen some of the Congreso videos of the other years. At the first 2 Congresos there was still some variety in dance performances regarding music and style, some uniqueness. Now it seems that all there is is fast mambo, and it has been like that at least for the past 3 congresos. Some performers even use the same song, so that you have to listen to the same Tito Puente mambo 3x in one show block.

Furthermore, the Congreso evening dances have no ambiente. The dancers all want to show off and be seen but do not have fun together, it is one big competition on the dance floor. And watching them is not even exiting because they all look basically the same. There are no Puerto Ricans except the organizers because Puerto Ricans do not spend 40 dollars to see a group that they can see for free the following night at some fiestas patronales.

But go to a real Puerto Rican dance event. That is where watching the dancers is a delight, where you can see some real nice dancing! You will not see all the fancy and sophisticated falls, dips and shines you see at the Congreso, but you see people dancing with joy, fun, sabor and style! Gozando con clase! Or just go the fiestas patronales in Loiza when La Sonora Ponceña plays. People in Loiza love la Sonora and dance on the pavement (which they only do at special events, not with all groups). There you can see some people dancing with sabor, especially the women. And the children!!! Some are just out of their dipers and already move like the adults, hilarious! They are a better show than some performers at the Congreso.

And a Ray Barretto concert. I saw Ray Barretto with Tito Allen and Adalberto Santiago in the Amfiteatro Tito Puente in 2002, what a great concert. The audience was mostly an older crowd who all knew all the songs by heart, great ambiente!

Hey, but you cannot complain in NYC, you have some great live concerts there. What can I say? Saw Cano Estremera two weeks ago in Frankfurt but now I will have to wait a while for the next good concert.

14. squirrel

squirrel New Member

Well, even if I haven't been in Puerto Rico so far, I have to agree with you, salsera-alemana, 'cause I saw the DVD you gave me...
    Guys and gals, I saw this DVD of people dancing, not the pros... with professional training and ballroom training... but ordinary people... and GOD THEY COULD MOVE!
    Also, salsera-alemana, I have the great honour and pleasure of watching your husband dance... just looking at him makes me happy! You can tell he's Puerto Rican!

Boriken, are you from Puerto Rico too?

15. Pacion

Pacion New Member

:shock: (in a very low voice) Squirrel, you don't know what you have just asked there :shock:

:lol:

(Yes he is :wink: )

16. squirrel

squirrel New Member

:oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:

sorry...

17. salsachinita

salsachinita New Member

Whoa. I have been busy for no more than 48 hrs and look what I've missed :shock: ........!

I couldn't agree more, SA! They have always been my favourites too :D ! Too bad we have almost none of them in town :( ........

I'm also glad to see that I'm not the only one with the 'good old day' sentiment........one tends to feel lonely if there's a lack of others to share common experiences with :oops: ......

Melbourne salsa scene used to be as you've described.......small & friendly. Skill/technique wise, nowhere near today, I give you that.....but the emphasis was on musicality & connection. The kind of flash & trash of today would've been laughed at right there on the floor.....!

Of course, instead of being nostalgic we can learn from the past & make the most of the present.......for some day we might just look back at 2004 & refer to it as the 'good old days'......who knows :shock: :lol: .......?!

These days I've been making an effort to get to know the seemingly cliquy & competitive ones. A lot of them turn out to be just like you & I..... normal, nice, if a little reserve/stand-offish. I've been inviting everyone to check out our DF discussions here. If any of our post can reach one more individual, the efforts would have been worthwhile 8) .

18. borikensalsero

borikensalsero Moderator

It's Ok, I see pacion cleared it up... Indeed I am... and dying to move back there as well. :D :D :D :D

19. tj

tj New Member

Ok, sorry for the ignorant question but I've heard the term "boriqua" used by several Puerto Rican women I know. Never bothered to ask them, so I suppose this is as good of a place as any to ask...

20. aragonh

aragonh New Member

Phoenix Scene

The Phoenix Scene is a little different know, Dragon.
    The Bash is no longer the place to be. I believe now there is a salsa social on sunday now.

The cuban restaurant no longer exists.

For the Salsa scene in Phoenix, check out PhoenixSalsa.com