Salsa > Friendliness on the Scene

Discussion in 'Salsa' started by volleybgrl, May 13, 2004.

1. Pacion

Pacion New Member

Same here. But the trick I used was to keep moving my feet :lol: oh and to follow the direction in which Boriken, or other guys I danced with, was taking my hand. Where thou takest my hand, I shall follow :lol:

2. mellody43

mellody43 New Member

Good advice!

"If they lead it, I will follow."
    (bad play on "Field of Dreams" quote)

3. Genesius Redux

Genesius Redux New Member

Salsa in Nashville--

We had two venues, then one closed down, following a murder! (Excitement, and no, I don't have the details)

Now we only have the one--Club Calliente on Printer's Alley. I've found it to be a relatively friendly scene. I've never been turned down for a dance there, and the dancers tend to mix with people who are showing up for the first time.

Generally it's best (especially if you're female) to go in groups. A woman who looks like she's part of a couple will be left alone unless she's left by herself for two or three dances--whereas women in groups are asked to dance all the time. There is a little bit of a pick-up scene going on there as well. Part of the problem with being the only salsa venue in town is that the club serves a number of different purposes.

Some experienced dancers don't always like to go there unless they know there will be people they know, because the leads tend to be kind of heavy and the ladies tend to expect that. There is a very happy fit with the club and the ballroom venue where I dance. At least once per month, the teachers organize a night out at Calliente. Most of them know and are on friendly terms with the owner (who is himself a terrific LA-style dancer) so it's all very chummy that way.

On the other hand, there's always a high concentration of people who are dancing for the first time and who never intend to come back. And that can be a drag.

Overall, friendly but small. We're trying to build a salsa community here.

4. Pacion

Pacion New Member

Need a team of DFers to help :wink:

5. tj

tj New Member

(Ok, now. Everyone all at once...)

"Road Trip!!!"

6. Genesius Redux

Hey absolutely. But I've only got one spare bedroom, and that's already been promised. Everyone else is welcome to crash on the couch and the floor--but you have to like dogs.

No, make that--you have to be really tolerant of dogs....

7. tj

tj New Member

Being the salsa scene and all, I would think that most of the ladies are quite used to dogs.

:wink:

8. Genesius Redux

Yes, well then, remembering the handling a wild salsera/o thread, this one would be the whirling dervish salsero.

9. mellody43

mellody43 New Member

*CHING*! Point for TJ!

I love dogs. Take me to a party with little kids and dogs, and I'll most likely spend my time with them. LOL!

:roll:

10. tj

tj New Member

Little kids and dogs? Sounds like the Wilsonian... :twisted:

11. mellody43

mellody43 New Member

Now now, be nice. The REAL dogs don't go to the Wilsonian, trust me. ;-)

12. salsachinita

salsachinita New Member

Try nearly 15 years on1 :shock: .......! I have soooooo many little quirks (read: bad habits :oops: ) to smooth out, let along trying to hear music on a different timing!!!!!!!

But, going to NYC & getting a dance with Boriken is worth all the efforts in the world.

Right...? Pacion....?