Funstuff and Inspiration > Fun Facts and Trivia Thread !!!

Discussion in 'Funstuff and Inspiration' started by Ray Sison, May 30, 2010.

1. style

style Member

All road construction in Michigan stops on Nov. 15.

2. pygmalion

pygmalion Well-Known Member

The masses (whatever that means) mostly want to stay on topic, with occasional friendly excursions.

That's pretty much it. Anecdotes about life in the ice or at the site are perfectly fine. But this thread is about fun, random, unknown and obscure facts, not about the quality of legs on framers versus other people in the building industry. Eh. No offense. You''re welcome to join the discussion. But join the discussion.

3. style

style Member

. If you put sand into a metal can, add some fuel it will work as a small camp stove. But not alot of fuel. About a half cup of fuel to 3 cups or so of sand.

4. pygmalion

By law (at least back when I lived in PA) landlords couldn't turn the heat off before April 15 and had to turn it on by October 15.

5. style

style Member

I almost moved to Pa. last year.

6. style

style Member

In the U.P. school is shut down on opening day of rifle season.

7. style

style Member

If you want to find the center of a odd number, take a tape measure, bend it in half to the number. Example. 10 1/2''. Where the tape bends is where the center will be. This only works with metal or cloth tape.

8. style

style Member

The Pythagorean theorem , invented by the greeks, is still used in construction to figure the lengh and angle of a stairway.

9. pygmalion

Potato chips were reputedly invented by a gentleman named George Crum and were originally called Saratoga chips because of the restaurant where Mr Crum worked. Mr Crum had a very fussy patron who ordered pommes frites (fried potatoes in French) and kept sending them back to the kitchen because they were too thick. Mr Crum sliced them thinner and thinner and thinner ... Eventually, they were so thin that they became potato chips, or something similar to potato chips of today.

Or so the story goes. :cool:

10. Amanda Coyle

Amanda Coyle New Member

Very cool, Ray! :)

11. Amanda Coyle

Amanda Coyle New Member

I'm going to double-check this, but French vanilla is not only NOT vanilla; it might also not be French.

12. Ray Sison

Ray Sison New Member

Amanda, good one too. I had no idea about the differences between the dolphin and porpoise! :)

13. Ray Sison

Ray Sison New Member

Percentage of American women who say they'd marry the same man?

50%

Percentage of Americans who have visited Disneyland/Disney World?

70%

14. Amanda Coyle

Amanda Coyle New Member

What's the difference between a white egg and a brown egg? From the book What's the Difference, 'White eggs come from hens with white feathers (and white earlobes). Brown (or brown-speckled) eggs come from hens with reddish brown feathers (and earlobes to match).

Though the taste doesn't vary according to color, consumer preferences do. Far more white eggs are sold in the US than brown eggs'--except maybe in New England the books says. 'Nutritionally...white and brown eggs are the same'.

15. Amanda Coyle

Amanda Coyle New Member

Also interesting!

16. Lioness

Lioness Well-Known Member

Somehow I'm not surprised...

Likewise

It's cuz we're cool. *nods*

No-one normal lives in the desert. It's nuts out there. Uninhabitable...snakes, heat, cold. Gah.

Yup. And those from Victoria can't drive, South Australia is the only state NOT colonised by convicts, and Tasmania...let's not go there :p

And it's amazingly pretty ^^

17. pygmalion

Grandma Moses produced her first painting at age 76.

18. Amanda Coyle

Amanda Coyle New Member

One in every 2000 babies is born with a tooth.

One in every 4 Americans has appeared on television.

One in 14 women in America is a natural blonde (including me!). Only one in 16 men is.

19. Amanda Coyle

Amanda Coyle New Member

Coca-Cola was originally green.

A Saudi Arabian woman can get a divorce if her husband doesn't give her coffee.

About 10% of the world's population is left-handed.

The longest recorded flight of a chicken is thirteen seconds.

Montpelier, Vermont is the only U.S. state capital without a McDonald's.

20. Ray Sison

Ray Sison New Member

Go, Trivia Girl!