Event Announcements > Fund Raiser for Dancer's Family

Discussion in 'Event Announcements' started by reb, Feb 3, 2007.

1. reb

reb Active Member

Londance Studio is hosting a fund raiser for Abe Yap, a Long Beach police officer shot during a traffic stop. Abe is the son of Ruby Yap, a well-known pro/am dance competitor.

The fund raiser is February 3rd in Orange County, California at the Londance Studio
    www.londance.com

Tonight's fund-raiser includes a pro show, silent auction, and lots of general dancing.

Pro show
    • Toni Redpath & Michael Mead
    • Slavik Sochaccki & Marzena Stachura
    • Jason & Tarn Daly
    • Paul & Kasia
    • Slava & Melania
    and . . . Ruby with her two instructors, Mikal Watkins and Eddie Alba

2. waltzgirl

waltzgirl Active Member

Thank God he survived! I've seen Ruby dance at competitions. It's great that the dance community is coming out to support her. Wish I could go!

3. reb

reb Active Member

Waltzgirl . . . the thoughts you just expressed provide truly wonderful support to Ruby, Abe, and their family as they read your kind words.

4. fascination

fascination Site Moderator Staff Member

reb...plz pm me with deatails on how to be helpful...my brother is a police officer

5. fascination

and to Ruby...I just want to thank you and Abe...for his service to his community...police officers go to work everyday with their famlies never knowing what the day will bring...and they endure much unwarranted criticism...I am sure I am not alone in saying that my profound gratitude and heartfelt wishes for the best possible outcome go out to your family...and may you be strengthened by the love and care of friends and with an inner peace ...hug hug hug

6. latingal

latingal Moderator Staff Member

Loving thoughts and many thanks to Abe Yap and his family...I hope that the dance community will come out in support of this event.

Is there information for donations from those who cannot attend?

7. Laura

Laura New Member

OH my goodness, I do not know Ruby personally but I recognize her name from competitions. May her husband have a full and speedy recovery!

8. fascination

pm reb

9. reb

reb Active Member

Just returned from the fundraiser - what an event! People from the community entered the studio for their first time to show their support. The social dancing was fun, the pro show was great, the atmosphere, etc.

One of Ruby's numbers was a re-do of a number she did after 9/11 in honor of a fallen fireman, and it held a lot of re-newed meaning today.

And Toni Redpath did the ONE WOMAN SHOW. Michael was ill and could not make the trip, but Toni still showed her character by driving up from San Diego 1.5 hours at least (oh yeah and back tonight). For those of you who have seen their shows, it won't be too hard to imagine this - she danced by herself and brought the audience to their feet! The parts where she was to be lifted she did a brief hop and imitated herself being lifted, where Michael's solo was, she 'admired' him doing his solo, she even looked as though she were jerked around for her rollout, curtsy, and walk-off the floor. Truly a champion.

I'll post an article momentarily which adds some background and includes an address for donations, explaining the family's exceptional needs.

Can't say enough . . .

10. reb

reb Active Member

Channel 11 in SoCal (we think the FOX late news) was there with cameras rolling (DW told me to not slouch) and the OC Register will come out with a follow-up article to one they had earlier today.

11. reb

reb Active Member

Here's an article from last week's OC Register which provides a little info:

Friday, January 26, 2007
    Fundraiser to support injured officer

Abe Yap was shot in the line of duty in Long Beach on Dec. 22.

By SUSAN J. PARK
    STAFF WRITER
    A ballroom dancing fundraiser will help support Fountain Valley High School graduate and Long Beach Police Officer Abe Yap, who is recovering from a gunshot wound to the head he received on Dec. 22.
    The show will feature four-time national ballroom champions, Michael Mead and Toni Redpath, and is sponsored by Pat West, owner of Londance Studio.
    The event starts 7 p.m., Feb. 3, at Londance Studio, 3625 W. MacArthur Blvd, Santa Ana. Tickets cost $25 per person, and reservations are recommended.
    "Abe is slowly recovering, and the family faces a long road of surgeries," said Ruby Yap, his mother. "We're all hopeful that after the reconstructive surgery that he'll get into a full recovery."
    Abe was shot in the jaw and "they're trying to reconstruct a lot of the bone and implant some teeth," added Ruby, who lives in Fountain Valley.
    He is able to walk and talk, but the injury to his jaw restricts his eating habits. The wound he sustained entered at his lip line and exited his cheek, police reports said.
    Adding to the financial concerns of the family is Abe's 3-year-old son who uses a wheelchair and needs continual medical support.
    "There are a lot of medical bills and prescriptions and other things not covered by the insurance that we have to cover," Ruby said.
    Abe's parents have been Fountain Valley residents since 1977. Abe graduated from Fountain Valley High School in 1989; he played on the C.I.F. championship football team as a cornerback.
    Abe has been an officer with the Long Beach Police Department for nine years. He and Ray Wade Jr. were ambushed and shot at multiple times while conducting a traffic stop in Long Beach. Wade suffered wounds to the chest and neck. Both have been released from the hospital, said Ruby.
    The suspect in the shootings, Oscar Gabriel Gallegos, was later fatally shot in a shootout with police on Dec. 27 in Santa Ana.
    Donations can also be sent to Abe Yap and Little Inc., 6711 Katella Ave., 2nd floor, Cypress, CA, 90630. Make checks payable to: Yap & Little Inc.

12. reb

reb Active Member

Here is the link to several items left after the Yap Benefit Dance silent auction, listed on eBay: http://search.ebay.com/_W0QQsassZtendancerbkgQQhtZ-1

The items listed include a 3-month membership to a local health club, a designer men's watch, 6 DanceVision DVDs, Silk Peel [microderm abrasion] gift certificates.

13. reb

reb Active Member

Follow-up is due to the Dance Forums family - a great family.

Ruby Yap said to say THANK YOU for the many well-wishes her son's family received and the phenomenal financial outpouring which came from the Dance Forums community. There were some very impressive contributions for his family which are much appreciated and sorely needed.

Ruby wrote many THANK YOU notes to all for whom she had known/legible addresses . . . and to those anonymous contributors - please know that your love and support has reached her son's family and they appreciate your self-less-ness very much and wish they could thank you in person. Perhaps knowing that you made an impact during an emotional and catostrophic experience will make you smile (and maybe cry at the same time).

The community and studio are still talking about the fund-raiser and her son's heroics. I'll stop for now.

Thanks.

14. samina

samina Well-Known Member

wow... very moving... best wishes to the family!