Salsa > Gee, you're good -> the art and science of compliments

Discussion in 'Salsa' started by brujo, Jan 6, 2004.

1. SDsalsaguy

SDsalsaguy Administrator Staff Member

As well you should be SL! :D

2. borikensalsero

borikensalsero Moderator

You go girl!!!!!!!!!

3. Preko

Preko New Member

For the same reason I shared the following complinent only with my closest friend (like LIta :lol: ).
    It was at the end of the Geneva Congress, Melissa Fernandes (partner of Luis Vasquez), came to see me and told me : "You are a terrific dancer".

It was like a dream during one week, I LOVED THIS DANCE !!!!!!

4. MacMoto

MacMoto Active Member

I was watching when you danced with Melissa Fernandez, so I saw her stop and ask her pal to video the dance. She must have really meant what she said. You two looked FANTASTIC! 8)

5. Preko

Preko New Member

Thank you
    I can't forget this part of the dance, when she decided to video the dance she put a lot of stress on me. I recorded it too, and I already watched it a million times. :lol: :lol:

6. MacMoto

MacMoto Active Member

Well if you were feeling the pressure, it didn't show :wink:

So when are you going to show us the video then? :lol:

7. tj

tj New Member

Woo hoo, SalseraLaura & Preko!

:applause: :applause:

8. Vin

Vin New Member

Thought I'ld bring this back because I got a particularly nice compliment last night.
    This guy I know from the clubs, been coming out a bunch and has learned from some big names. Well anyways he came up to me last night and said.

"Do you realize that you are never off-time, I see hardly anyone that is just always on-time like that"

Anyways I'm awesome, who wants to touch me?

9. Vince A

Vince A Active Member

Now, that's a compliment. Way to go!

10. kdogg

kdogg New Member

Sorry, I don't get the connection between "compliment" and "science" other than both of them being noun.

11. Medira

Medira New Member

Go Vin! That's fabulous! :D

12. Lucretia

Lucretia New Member

Lat night after the amateur-salsa-competition I met a leader from salsaclass:

"Here you are!
    I was looking for you everywhere. I wanted you as partner in the competition"

:D

/luc

13. africana

africana New Member

me me me!! :lol: awesome :)

14. Vin

Vin New Member

OK Kdogg, I think I may know you. Did you go to the LA congress? If so I think we met there, funny enough.

15. chandra

chandra New Member

An interesting compliment not:

At the last convention I was at I arrived the first day, dressed for dancing. I actually had 3 seperate people com up to me saying "I cant wait to see you dance, you look like youll be really good!" I had to actually show someone my j&j number to convince them I was competing in novice... Cool except they hadnt seen me dance, were just going by what I looked like. I had mixed feelings about that, since Im not a good dancer.... Im like "I should wait to dance as long as possible to forestall disallusioning these people"

lol

16. yola

yola New Member

yes, * clothes make the woman* hehehe

17. Sagitta

Sagitta Well-Known Member

Still waiting the video, like MM...

18. latindia

latindia New Member

I had one coupla nights ago. Plucked up the courage to dance with this advanced salsera, just coz a really nice song came on. I was just sort of enjoying the song, and wasn't really doing any moves beyond my beginner stuff. After a couple of minutes I realized she was looking at me with a smile and she said 'You really love this music, don't you?'

I wonder if that was a compliment or a hint to get her a bit more involved in the dance? :?

Cheers
    R

19. Sagitta

Sagitta Well-Known Member

Probably is a compliment. I've had people say they can see when I enjoy the music vs am just doing moves. Big difference. Nice one. :cheers: :)

20. Medira

Medira New Member

On Saturday night, I was out at the regular latin night. I was dancing a chacha with a friend of mine and when we walked off the floor after the set, an older gentleman started cheering and gave me a high five. It was very odd, but it made me smile. About 20 minutes later, after another set of dances, I was sitting down at a table with some of my friends and the same gentleman came by the table. As it turns out, he's a dance teacher and has been dancing twice as long as I've been alive. He told me I have a gorgeous chacha and a beautiful lockstep, as well as a natural, smooth style. It made me feel all warm and fuzzy. He now calls me the chacha queen. :p

I've seen him out twice since and we danced for the first time last night: a chacha, a salsa and a bachata. He told me I'm a gorgeous dancer and that he had a lot of fun with the dance.

It made me feel so good, especially because I've been stuck in a rough patch for the last two weeks or so and I've been discouraged.