Salsa > Gee, you're good -> the art and science of compliments

Discussion in 'Salsa' started by brujo, Jan 6, 2004.

1. mellody43

mellody43 New Member

*BWAAA* hhehehe.

Okay, funny story. Hopefully not funny to just me. =)

I am from Long Island, NY. Those "Kawfee Tawk" ladies are the stereotypical epitome of some NY women (probably now a dying breed, but still memorable...)

One New Year's eve, I went to see the film "Shine" with some friends. Not the crazies NYE, you might say. Behind us sat 3-4 "Kawfee Tawk" women -- the whole shebang: big glasses, big hair, big fur coats, long hails, lots of gold jewelry. When the film ended, one of them said to the others: (lay on a THICK THICK NY accent here, please) "Oh honey, he was RETAWDED, yes, RETAWDED."

:shock:

We could barely contain ourselves.

2. tj

tj New Member

Lol!

So yoh-wa from Lon Guy Land? I'm from Joisey - grew up dere befoh-wa movin to Denvuh in '93.

Actually, I never "acquired" the NY/NJ accent, luckily! When I go back to see my folks, I'll usually call up some old high school friends and catch up with them. I can catch the occasional accent here and there and usually tease them about it.

3. delamusica

delamusica Active Member

That's funny tj - I moved from Jersey to Denver in '93, too! Where in Jersey were you from?

4. salsachinita

salsachinita New Member

Well, the EXACT science of 'making it' into one or both of these lists is what I've been working on......which prompts me to ask most of my questions here at DF 8) .

*am I any closer to where I wanna be...? Hmmmmm, need to ask the guys for their lists :roll: *

5. sbsalsera

sbsalsera New Member

Hey, girlfriend! I'm originally from Long Island too! (Grew up in Commack, went to college in "the city")

I've been living in Souther California for about 7 years, so by now I've lost most of the accent. But I still get strange looks from the occasional Yiddish expression (shlep, shebang, schmaltz, shmeer - yes, many of the best ones begin with the letter s...)

6. borikensalsero

borikensalsero Moderator

wow! Bunch of long islanders... I'm from long island... My accent is spanish though. Well, what english I speak, it comes out with a spanish accent.

7. mellody43

mellody43 New Member

I grew up in Great Neck. Lots of funny puns to be made from that one.

Wow! Here I go, hijacking a thread AGAIN. Sorry, Salsachinita! =)

I don't have the accent either. How I escaped, I have no idea. I came to Seattle in '93.

It's a small world after all, it's a small world after all...

8. mellody43

mellody43 New Member

Boriken, where do you live on LI?

9. borikensalsero

borikensalsero Moderator

I live in Long Beach, and check this out, I work in Manhasset. lol, I was just in great neck having lunch. :shock:

10. mellody43

mellody43 New Member

Holy guacamole! I was born in Manhasset! LOL! North Shore hospital. Ah, a blessed day. hehe.

Where do you work?

During summers/holidays in college, I worked at the Lord & Taylor in Manhasset.

Melissa

11. salsachinita

salsachinita New Member

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: What would we do without those colourful expressions?! I've worked for this Jewish family business for so many years, I started running around with these gems rolling off my tongue!

When people go :shock: my boss would just casually tell them: "Oh, she's an Yiddish girl......just doesn't look it!"

:p

12. borikensalsero

borikensalsero Moderator

Gee, we are practically related. I work at CMP Media. Community drive, the 2nd building coming down the hill ont the right. A couple steps from North Shore.

13. mellody43

mellody43 New Member

Schlep is one of my favorite words, but I don't get to use it very often!

I do say "oy" often though!

14. mellody43

mellody43 New Member

Boriken: HAHA! I attended Great Neck South HS -- right off the service Rd at exit 33 of the LIE. Lived right next to Lake Success -- so close to where you are. Literally aboug 2 miles. *twilight zone music*

15. tj

tj New Member

Basking Ridge, NJ - one of the few places that doesn't have an exit on either the Turnpike or the Parkway!

(for those of you not familiar - it's a typical NJ saying to ask, "What exit are you from?" referring to an exit on one of the two aforementioned highways which pass thru practically the entire state)

16. youngsta

youngsta Active Member

Exit 5A bro!!

17. Sakura

Sakura New Member

:D If you've got a Visa Card, you should be there! =^__^=;;; *massive sweatdropping* Sorry! I just couldn't help myself! ... I'm a sucker for bad jokes and puns! :roll:

Sakura Kitty :kitty:

(PS-Somehow, now I'm wishing I lived in Jersey... =^_~=)

18. Genesius Redux

Genesius Redux New Member

It's nice that somebody wishes that.... :wink:

19. salsachinita

salsachinita New Member

Exit Forster Rd, one after Chadstone :p

*as if it means anything to most of you :wink: *

20. MacMoto

MacMoto Active Member

I'll keep note of this when I descend on you! :lol: :p
    Okay, now, to funding for the reunion down-under -- which bank are we going for? :car: :lol: :roll: