1. suburbaknght

suburbaknght Well-Known Member

I was having a certification training session last night with my new instructor. She was trying to ease me into the fact that this is going to take a lot of studying, and when I told her, "Don't worry. I'm actually a pretty big nerd, so studying isn't going to be an issue for me," her response was along the lines of, "Me too!"

It occurred to me, if it hadn't occurred before, that dancing tends to attract a lot of geeks. I've attributed this to a number of causes, from revenge of the socially awkward and athletically disinclined, to the fact that lessons are expensive and the smarter you are the easier it is to get a well-paying job to afford the lessons. Last night, though, I had another thought.

About a year ago, Geek Girl What Rules posted a blog about how the defining element of geekdom is not belonging to a subculture but research. A geek, she claimed, was someone who is passionate enough about a subject - any subject - enough to research it, often painstakingly over many periods. Thus geeks tend to be associated with fandoms, like Star Trek, and complex games, like Dungeons and Dragons, because they afford the most opportunity for research. At this point you can probably see where I'm going with this.

Dancing affords an opportunity for research nearly unparalleled in the athletic world and easily the equal of anything in the art world. Whether one cares about the technique or the history, the music or the world of competition, there is a surplus of areas that can be reserached and explored, to say nothing of the painstaking physical and intellectual process of perfecting one's own dancing. Go to any college competition and you'll see far more computer science and engineering majors on the floor than art or dance majors. Heck, when I was in school the science fiction club and ballroom dance club had a nearly 70% overlap. Nowadays when I talk to serious dancers it doesn't take much to find some sort of trait or interest generally considered geeky or nerdy.

Has anyone else noticed this? How many of you would describe yourselves as geeks?

2. etp777

etp777 Active Member

Heh, I'm definitely a geek, both by classic definition and definitely the research definition. :)

3. samina

samina Well-Known Member

we do have a well-developed thread on just this subject. i'll see if i can dig it out. i don't have TC's skills with that tho...

4. samina

samina Well-Known Member

5. suburbaknght

Similar to, though not quite what I was referring to. Computers are another area where a deep drive for research and the long-term build up of technical skills will yield great rewards, so it's no surprise that's an area heavily populated by geeks.

6. etp777

etp777 Active Member

Then there's also been at least two threads (though they may have been merged) on Engineers and dancing. Lots of geeks of all types here.

7. samina

samina Well-Known Member

The thread goes deeper in the variety of geeks in ballroom... engineers, mathematicians... the whole array of geekiness. :)

8. jwlinson

jwlinson Member

*looks up from studying his syllabus manual, sets it down on top of stacks of books by Moore and Scrivener, which sit on top of computer program reference manuals and Audubon field guides*

Definitely a geek...

9. danceronice

danceronice Well-Known Member

I am the stereotypical geek in many respects--not computers, but sci-fi/fantasy, complete with arguing about minutiae, being a twitcher with a life list (I may never forgive my brother for living in Florida and lucking into a Whooping Crane migrating with Sandhills), knowing far more about horse racing than is healthy for someone who doesn't make an effort to go bet, oddly enough, I've only picked up a sylabus long enough to look through it, realize it might as well be writing in Urdu, and put it down again. I'm a dork about thinks like who knows who and who studied with whom, but the threads on Standard send me fleeing because I cannot image disecting my movements to that degree.

I guess even my geekiness only goes so far.

Oh: the people who referred me to my studio and got me into ballroom? D&Ders. Big time gamers.

10. jwlinson

jwlinson Member

Roll a 19 or 20 and you can increase your geek points by 5.

11. suburbaknght

Dance by stat:

Strength
    Paso Doble
    Polka
    Lindy Hop

Dexterity
    Waltz
    Cha Cha
    Samba
    Jive
    Swing
    Hustle

Constitution
    Quickstep
    Mambo

Intelligence
    Foxtrot

Wisdom
    Viennese Waltz
    West Coast

Charisma
    Tango
    Rumba
    Bolero
    Argentine Tango
    Salsa

12. DL

DL Well-Known Member

You have been eaten by a grue.

13. dancepro

dancepro Member

Yes, I would agree that dancing does attract geeks. I have many students that are geeks. My professional students also have a lot of geek students.....and yes I have often been told that I am a total geek.:p

Dancepro

14. jwlinson

jwlinson Member

Darned battery-operated lanterns... They never last very long.

15. chachachacat

chachachacat Well-Known Member

Suburbanknight - I love this list! Did you make it up yourself? Why foxtrot wisdom?

16. Laura

Laura New Member

Hummm. I wouldn't say I "research" dancing. So I guess I'm not a dance-geek. I guess that explains something, but I'm not quite sure what.

17. Albanaich

Albanaich New Member

Interestingly I'm an extreme geek in most areas - but not dance.

18. RickRS

RickRS Member

Our presense on this board is a sign of our geekyness. Anyone like me: found this group as part of a compulsion to research current interests and activities?

19. suburbaknght

Yep, that's original Knght. I put foxtrot as intelligence, not wisdom, btw, because slow fox is, imho, the most technically exacting style and requires the most theoretical knowledge.

I'd also like to point out the list is highly subjective as evidenced by the fact that as soon as my girlfriend saw it we got into a dispute about which stat each dance should be tied to.

I'd finally like to point out that I'm amazed I can write such a list and still use a phrase like, "my girlfriend."

20. j_alexandra

j_alexandra Well-Known Member

:uplaugh:

Truth!