1. Joe

Joe Well-Known Member

Are they using d20 system or updating in parallel with D&D4e?

2. Subliminal

Subliminal Well-Known Member

The core rules are dnd 4th edition. I think they're actually calling it a "dnd 4th alternate setting" or something.

But from what I've heard, they've also added some additional layers of abstraction to make it even simpler. And... the horror... added a collectible card game aspect for character generation. Which both annoys and intrigues me. If you ever played the original Gamma World, you might remember character generation is almost completely random. Thus, how I ended up playing a psychic radioactive chicken. :D So they've kept part of that... but now there's some sort of thing where when you're making your character, you can draw from their ccg deck to add powers or something. So you can influence the randomness a little. Dunno how I feel about that.

3. Lioness

Lioness Well-Known Member

Aaaarfgh.
    I still haven't converted to 4th ed. :|

I'mma stick firmly to my 3.5.

4. Subliminal

Subliminal Well-Known Member

Heh. I was in your camp for a while Lioness. But I eventually started playing in a 4th ed game that a friend of mine ran... and it grew on me. Things are a lot more balanced. And RP is RP, no matter what system you choose.

5. DL

DL Well-Known Member

"Look: I'm not going to explain the intricacies of time travel to a man without a library card." -- from an episode of "Batman: The Brave and the Bold" that my DVR guessed I might like.

The guffaw that one line got from me meant my DVR made a good guess.

6. Lioness

So, I'm back, with more geeky dress-ups!

This time...Doctor Who cosplay...11th Doctor.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

:D

7. Ray Sison

Ray Sison New Member

Bravo! Nicely done, Lioness!:cheers:

8. danceronice

danceronice Well-Known Member

Bravo, Lioness! 11's my new favorite (well, behind Five. Who will always be #1 to me.)

9. Ray Sison

Ray Sison New Member

Probably the best place to ask this question: Do laptops (including their batteries) require special storage care when the weather is very cold (like below freezing temperature)? When in doubt, ask a geek, right?

:cool:

10. suburbaknght

suburbaknght Well-Known Member

Amazing, Lioness!

I'm starting to think that Gen Con might actually be a good place for a DF meetup.

11. Indiana_Jay

Indiana_Jay Active Member

Ridiculously cute. Sorry.

12. Indiana_Jay

Indiana_Jay Active Member

Yeah. Several issues. The liquid in the liquid crystal display (LCD) can freeze and expand. That's a bad thing.

Ever notice what happens to a pair of glasses when the wearer comes inside from the cold? That same condensation can happen inside the laptop. Water is bad for electronics. Very bad.

Battery capacity drops in low temperatures. Try to run the laptop while the battery is still cold and it either won't run at all (because the voltage is low) or won't run very long. There are conflicting reports on whether the cold temperature permanently damages the battery. Some people even believe that a weak battery can be rejuvenated by freezing it.

13. Ray Sison

Ray Sison New Member

There was an article recently called something like "What is the difference between a nerd and a geek?"

14. Ray Sison

Ray Sison New Member

Indiana Jay, thanks for the info. I am a relative newcomer to colder climes...

15. Lioness

Heh...this calls for an XKCD

[​IMG]

My opinion on the subject...

Nerd: Especially dedicated to study, learning, etc. Nerds are more likely to be English nerds, Chemistry nerds, maths nerds, etc.

Geek: Gaming/sci-fi/pop culture, etc. Star Wars geeks, gaming geeks, World of Warcraft geeks, D&D geeks, etc.

In my mind, neither is more socially inept than the other. However, a lot of people one or the other as being stereotypically socially incompetent. If one of them is gonna be socially incompetent, I think it's geeks.

16. flashdance

flashdance Active Member

Lioness, what would you class these two as? BTW this is from the film 'Weird Science' where the Barbie™ doll is transformed into Kelly LeBrock! (I'm still wondering how they did that?). Maybe I should start wearing a bra on my head.

[​IMG]

17. Lioness

Geek. Definitely geek.

18. Ray Sison

Ray Sison New Member

Geeks versus Nerds !!!

Lioness, great thoughts on this ever-important topic! On-target, too. I don't recall what the geeks and nerds article said--and I just breezed through it as my ADD nature is wont to do. But I think it had several people (including famous ones) explain whether they thought they were geeks or nerds.

I had a sense that a lot of the self-professed geeks were proud of being a called a "geek". And that it is possible to be a "computer geek", "gaming geek", even a "dance geek"!

Myself, I would be a "movie geek" in this vein, because whereas the average moviegoer just wants to watch a movie and be entertained, cinema is practically a religion for me. And people who might call themselves a "dance geek" can sometimes be spotted here in Dance Forums. You think?! :cool:

And thanks for reminding me about XKCD--a fun site!

19. leee

leee Well-Known Member

Glasses give you a Tennant-like flair!

20. Ray Sison

Ray Sison New Member

Can external hard drives / flash drives also be damaged by very cold temperatures? (When in doubt, ask a geek!)