1. Lioness

Lioness Well-Known Member

Not sure about the cold, but my USB has been through the washing machine many times, and it still works. It was also buried in the garden for about 4 months (Thanks, cat)

2. Indiana_Jay

Indiana_Jay Active Member

OK, I haven't looked this up, so I'm basing this on my knowledge of electronics. There are others with more expertise than I who can correct me if I'm wrong.

Your flash drive has no moving parts and should not care about being cold as long as your cold computer is feeding it enough electricity (see earlier post about battery voltages, etc.). The drive is not watertight, however, so if condensation forms in it, you could permanently damage it by using it before it is completely dry.

Condensation inside an external hard disc is the same issue. Give it time to dry before trying to use it. Also because it has a spinning motor, extreme cold might put an extra load on the motor and affect performance until the motor warms up.

3. Ray Sison

Ray Sison New Member

Thanks, Lioness and Indiana Jay!!!

4. flashdance

flashdance Active Member

It's wise to let any type of electronic component to aclimatise to room temperature if it's been stored in a cold/damp atmosphere (at least 6 - 7 hours).

The worst time for a harddisk is the spin up time when power is applied.... this is true for any electronic component as it will generate the most stress.

Regarding electronics and moisture/water etc... generally fine if they are allowed to completely dry out - obviously this may not be true if it was on at the time! You can even clean electronic parts (such as a dusty motherboard from a computer) in a dishwasher (quite well known for us who like vintage electronics :p ). Obviously, DON'T run the heating cycle at the end of the wash or use detergent.

5. Ray Sison

Ray Sison New Member

Thanks. Flash, for the info, too...

6. Ray Sison

Ray Sison New Member

It's good to know a little flash drive can make it through the wash like that, Lioness! :cool:

7. flashdance

flashdance Active Member

As part flash myself I don't think I'd fit in a washing machine :cool:

8. Indiana_Jay

Indiana_Jay Active Member

Yes, but do you need to be completely dry before you can function? :)

9. Ray Sison

Ray Sison New Member

LOL :cheers:

10. Lioness

Heh...I'm asking mum to get me some/all of these shirts for my birthday...

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Points for those who get the references :D

11. Dots

Dots Active Member

"I am a leaf on the wind - watch how I soar."

:cool:

12. Lioness

:D

/gives cookies

13. Joe

Joe Well-Known Member

I'll be in my bunk.

14. wonderwoman

wonderwoman Well-Known Member

I don't know why, but it seems to me that whenever one shows a deep interest in something, they will be considered a geek in that respect. You're a geek if you study something and spend time mulling it over. You analyze things that some people just take for granted. So I don't see why it would be surprising to note a lot of dancers have a deep interest but I do wonder why that's given a certain label.

15. Ray Sison

Ray Sison New Member

Yes! Such as "Gleeks" (enthusiasts of the TV show "Glee")...

16. Subliminal

Subliminal Well-Known Member

So I'm not going to post this in the AT forum, cause it'll probably start another war. ;) But does anyone else obsess over the possible foot positions, body positions, etc, in dancing? I started making a list of all the possible combinations in AT. It ended up being too many, so I had to break it down into possible transitions, and assume a move is done on both sides. It's not very useful on the dance floor, but it helps when deconstructing something I've seen in a video.

Anyone else do something like that?

17. flashdance

flashdance Active Member

18. Ah, yes, but can your IBM keyboard with blank keys automatically swap out the symbols at the top for, say, World of Warcraft or Adobe Photoshop, or even blank themselves out? I think not! But the Optimus Maximus can! MWAHAHAHAHA!! :snake:

(Okay, fine. I like old-fashioned keyboards better too. :spam:)

19. Lioness

So, uh, my new Uni bag arrived today...

[​IMG]

:D:D:D

20. Joe

Joe Well-Known Member

Awesome, Lioness! Now, can you put a portable hole in a bag of holding?