General Dance Discussion > General Admission

Discussion in 'General Dance Discussion' started by Spitfire, Oct 12, 2003.

1. Spitfire

Spitfire Well-Known Member

I'm curious as to what the average admission price around the country is to open dances either at a studio or other facility.

The dance I regularly attend is $6.00. If it's a theme dance it will usually be a little more. On NYE it's between $15.00-$25.00. The USABDA dances here are $8.00 for non-members and $5.00 for members - less $3.00 if you bring a dessert.

The monthly swing dance costs $7.00 if there is live music and $5.00 if it's DJ'd.

The most I've ever paid is $8.00 to attend a dance (other then something that is a special theme) and that was in Seattle.

2. pygmalion

pygmalion Well-Known Member

It looks like we're paying about the same thing, spitfire. USABDA -- $8 for non-members, $6 for members. Other ballroom and swing dances $5 to $9. Nightclub cover charges with a DJ $0 - $5. With a live band, all bets are off! :lol: Orlando gets some big name entertainers, so you pay for the privilege. :D

3. will35

will35 New Member

Yeah, but there is just no substitute for a live band. It's well worth the extra money.

4. MissAlyssa

MissAlyssa New Member

I'd say 7-10 dollars is the going rate.

5. SDsalsaguy

SDsalsaguy Administrator Staff Member

I'd say it depends on the band Will. There are some bands that are great for listening too but, at the same time, really don't know how to play for dancers... :?

6. Spitfire

The Paragon and Kyote charge 5 dollars. I think the admission to last years swing exchange dance at the Storyteller Cafe in Mesa was 12 dollars, but it was a blast.

7. will35

will35 New Member

Right, SDSalsaguy. When they know how to play for dancers, it is good. But even if they are no good, they are trying. I normally just pay the cover to encourage them. Some musicians hate dancers, and would never consider their music dance music. I like to help out the bands that are willing to play for dancers.

8. Spitfire

Funny, I've yet to see a band that didn't just love to see people dancing to their music. :?

9. will35

will35 New Member

Well, I was talking about a different type of musician. They don't see people dance to Bach's Bourees, and they don't want people dancing to their "listening" music. I guess we should call it Art Music, not dance music, even though it be from the same source.

10. MadamSamba

MadamSamba Member

admission charges

Yeah, here in Australia we pay about the same: between $6 and $10 for group classes. Often you can buy dance cards, which give you a discount, to about $8. Sometimes you get a free social with that. Private lessons cost between $50 and $80 for an hour-long lesson.

I was in Singapore a few weeks ago and prices for private lessons were shockingly expensive: between $75 and $170...sheesh.

What's everyone else paying for a private lesson?

11. pygmalion

pygmalion Well-Known Member

Hi MadamSamba! :D

Good to see you again. Glad I don't live in Singapore. I could only afford one private lesson per millenium! :shock: :lol: Yikes!

There's another thread on the cost of private lessons somewhere. Not sure if it's ballroom or general dance discussion, but it lists some typical costs in the US and UK.

Jenn :D

12. Spitfire

Re: admission charges

Activity passes as they are called where I do my dancing sell for $50.00 and are good for 11 activities; either group classes or open dances. This is a $16.00 savings for an equal number at general admission. 8)