Getting photos out of videos

Discussion in 'Videos' started by tanya_the_dancer, Oct 28, 2007.

1. tanya_the_dancer

tanya_the_dancer Well-Known Member

Has anyone tried to get a photo out of a video? I found out that the photo vendor at USDC has not taken any pictures of me, and I would like to have at least a couple of pictures from that event. I do have a DVD and I thought that maybe I could extract a couple of my pictures from there.

2. elisedance

elisedance New Member

Is this a video recording (tape) or is it on a DVD? I presume the latter?
    With the video tapes its pretty hopeless as the images have lines on. With a DVD the simplest thing is to get a digital camera and photograph the image of a high-res screen! I have done this for artistic effect pics that can work out pretty well (I'll post a couple back on my photo site, I took them off a few weeks ago) but its not much of a relpacement for a photo I'm afraid.

3. samina

samina Well-Known Member

if you have a movie-editing program on your computer, that has the ability to make a snapshot out of video. it's an easy one-click sorta deal...

have done it with video captured by my own camera, but not yet with any dance vids...

4. LucyDiamond

LucyDiamond Active Member

Windows Movie Maker has the ability to make a snapshot out of video.

5. elisedance

elisedance New Member

whats the quality like?

6. samina

samina Well-Known Member

yah, good question, ED... depends on the video shot. if it's moving quickly, my experience is the resolution is crap. but i've gotten some nice shots that way a well.

7. LucyDiamond

better than nothing... :wink:

I'd agree with sam that the resolution isn't all that great but, it works good for images to be used on the web. I wouldn't use it for printing.

8. tanya_the_dancer

tanya_the_dancer Well-Known Member

Have to look into that, I have Pinnacle Studio, it might be able to do the job.

9. saludas

saludas New Member

Any Mac has this built in of course - use imovie and just select the frames you want.

Remember that video resolution is only 72dpi as compared to most pics which are at least 300dpi, so they won't be very high quality, you know...

10. elisedance

elisedance New Member

I uploaded an arty pic taken from a DVD video as described. Just click on the convenient new 'my photos' tab under the avatar!

11. tunape

tunape New Member

most video editing software will be able to take snapshots. However, you need to "de-interlace" the video to get the pictures without lines.

12. elisedance

elisedance New Member

Does anyone have examples of video-photo conversions that could be posted on the photo site for us to see?

13. pruthe

pruthe Member

Hi Elisedance,

Here are a couple of photo links for you to compare a still frame from standard definition video and a still frame from high definition video. I saved still frames using iMovie HD on a Mac.

Standard Definition Frame

http://www.dance-plus.com/Pasha_Inna/Pasha-Inna-SD.jpg

High Definition Frame

http://www.dance-plus.com/Pasha_Inna/Pasha-Inna-HD.jpg

I did a bit of tweaking (in Photoshop) of both frames to make look better than originally was. The HD frame I actually shrank from original size since it was so large. But I think you can get an idea of relative quality of captured frames. In general, a captured frame from standard definition video is not too good. High definition video cameras are now just starting to be popular for consumer video.

BTW, pictures are from video of recent showcase by Pasha Pashkov and Inna Brayer.

Hope this helps.

pruthe

14. LucyDiamond

WOW pruthe, there is quite a difference between the standard and HD. Makes me want to run out and get a HD video camera.

What software do you/folks use to get the video off a DVD onto the hard drive. I'm looking for a compatible file format for Windows Movie Maker. TIA

15. pruthe

pruthe Member

If you install a program called MPEG Streamclip on your PC, you should be able to retrieve a frame from DVD movie. Web address to get is as follows:

http://www.squared5.com/

After installing, what you would do is open MPEG Streamclip first. Then insert DVD. You can close DVD player if it opens up, but do not eject DVD. Then open DVD folder and go into VIDEO_TS folder. You should see a bunch of files in there. You want to open first file ending with:

.VOB

in MPEG Streamclip. Try dragging and dropping first .vob file listed onto MPEG Streamclip window (or just use 'File->Open'). MPEG Streamclip will probably ask you if want to open all .vob files (if more than one). Say yes if asked. After this, you should see video of DVD in MPEG Streamclip window. Now just move pointer to desired frame and select 'File->Export to Frame' and save in whatever format you want (ie. JPEG) on your desktop.

This works for me on Mac version of MPEG Streamclip. Should work similar for PC version. Note quality of standard definition frame may not be too good. Might help to tweak saved frame in photo editing program to make look better. For example, you might be able to brighten or give more contrast.

Hope this helps. If any other questions, either post here or PM me.

Thanks.

pruthe

p.s. When select frame, try and get one with not too much body motion. I try and get one where body motion has stopped for a second. That way blur is minimized.

16. pruthe

pruthe Member

See previous message if want still frame. MPEG Streamclip can also convert into other video formats and store on hard drive. Maybe can use AVI with WMM. Also, if you have enough space, you can copy entire contents of unprotected DVD onto hard drive. Some DVD players allow opening unprotected VIDEO_TS folder from a hard drive location.

Hope this helps. :)

pruthe