Country and Western > Getting started in C&W Competition

Discussion in 'Country and Western' started by pygmalion, Feb 26, 2006.

1. pygmalion

pygmalion Well-Known Member

Since I'm living in a veritable hotbed of C&W dance, I figured I'd ask. Exactly how does it work and how do you get started?

I've done pro-am in the ballroom world before, and it was fun and worthwhile, I thought. But it can be really expensive, if you want to get serious about it. My impression (correct me if I'm wrong) is that C&W is much more reasonably priced, and fun and accessible (maybe more accessible than ballroom.) Even pro-am is fairly reasonably priced, it seems.

So now I'm asking. How would one go about getting connected with the world of C&W competitions? How do the comps work? What are the major, can't miss events? What are the categories of dances that are judged? In short, how does it work?

Advice, anyone?

2. pygmalion

Oh yeah and is my impression that C&W pro-am is (mostly) affordable correct or not, in your view?

3. Vince A

Vince A Active Member

There's a bunch of good ones here on the DF . . . Dancelf, jon, and others. I hope they chime in a get a good conversation going on this thread.

I'd get you started, but I tend to talk too much, so I'll wait 'til later . . .

PS . . . I know there are some events coming up later this year Dallas, but you need to be competing and dancing before that. Can you do Los Angeles March 31-April 2 to watch an event? you won't be sitting to long. You know 2 Step and other dances, and you will be asked to dance, and they'll be someone willing to teach on-the-fly! Or do a ACDA event in Dallas on the same weekend . . . don't come out here so we can meet ya' . . .

There are some events in Texas, both UCWDC and ACDA . . . esp. the ACDA Championships in Nov.

4. SuzieQ

SuzieQ New Member

I don't know why you haven't gotten more responses to this, but...there is a comp in Ft. Worth March 31-April 2. I haven't done ballroom competition, but c&w seems much more affordable from what I have heard and read here on DF. My pro charges a flat fee (don't want to get specific) plus a private lesson fee for each dance done. For the comp itself, the weekend pass usually runs $65-$70 dollars, each dance done costs from $7-$15. There are eight dances that you can do, and you dance each one only once, in heats with 2-4 other couples. If you are dancing with another amateur, of course, you only have the per-dance charge plus your passes. (There may be some run differently, but just speaking from my own experience.) I see you are in Dallas, Pygmalion. Maybe you could come to this comp. There is a ton of social dancing, workshops, a Saturday night show, etc. The top dancers dance on Sunday afternoon, and will often have a number in the show.

5. pygmalion

Cool! That's a very short drive from me. Do you know the name of the comp or have a url for their website?

6. pygmalion

Seriously. I'm interested. Fort Worth (depending on where) is about an hour and a half from me. I'd love to have the info, but couldn't find anything via google -- there's too much dance stuff in DFW, so the listings probably got swamped out.

7. SuzieQ

SuzieQ New Member

8. pygmalion

Wow!!! :D I'm going to a hoedown. :banana:

Gotta go check out the schedule, etc, to see which day(s) make the most sense. Hmm. I'm going to go check out the workshops.

Thanks. :)

9. Swirl

Swirl New Member

C&W Competing is a blast!!

Hi there!

My partner and I will be competing at the Texas Hoe Down on Sunday 4/2/06 in Division I. Feel free to come introduce yourself after we compete and I will be glad to answer any questions and introduce you to a Pro or two that live in your area for lessons. My name is Susan Robertson and I dance Division I with my partner David Miller. I believe we dance at 2:00 on Sunday. Clap loud for us if you are there!!! Also, you may want to visit these two sites for more info on our events, rules and community. UCWDC.com and Americancountrydanceassociation.com. Look forward to meeting you!

Susan

10. pygmalion

Oh. Okay!!! I'll be there. I'm a big yell/cheer person, so you'll hear me. I'll come find you guys. Good luck. :D

11. SuzieQ

SuzieQ New Member

OK--equal time for my daughter, Gretchen Lutz, and her partner, Jim Criger, dancing in Div. II--at the same time on Sunday--I expect cheers for them too!

12. Vince A

Vince A Active Member

Good luck to you Susan . . . and to your daughter too!

Let us know how you . . . not too worried about your placement, but how you felt you did!

13. SuzieQ

SuzieQ New Member

10 days 'til Ft. Worth!!!!!!

14. Vince A

Vince A Active Member

"Kick some butt Susan!"

We'll be thinking of you that weekend . . . sending you lots of positive vibes, but ya' gotta make sure you e-us as soon as you get home to give us the results!

Maybe one of these days we'll meet, and I'll get lucky to dance with you in a Jack and Jill or just for fun . . . since we both dance the same level, although I may move up this year?

Vince

15. SuzieQ

SuzieQ New Member

Thanks--would love to meet/dance with you also!

16. Swirl

Swirl New Member

Kicking Butt!

Thanks Vince! Do you dance Div I in UCWDC? We dance Div I in ACDA and Div II in UCWDC. We will be competing in New Mexico the end of September. Maybe you will be at that one? One more win and we will move into Div I in January after World's. I will let you all know how we do. My partner had cancer last year right after world's, so we had to take part of the year off. He is better now and completely recovered. We will be taking the floor for the first time in a year with 5 new routines. NO PRESURE!!

Susan (Swirl)

17. Vince A

Vince A Active Member

Not me . . . I quit competing, as my band takes up way too much time, so my dancing these days is limited to daily practice with my wife at home on our dancefloor, local social dances, and at comps during breaks and in the evenings. So, I probably such these days at dancing.

Well . . . good luck, and do keep us posted.

I know that feeling . . . I got diabetes Type II after world's two years ago, and that changed my life . . . gaining weight and not dancing sure took it's toll on me. Good to hear he is OK.[/quote]

My wife says she used to compete against a "Susan" in ACDA in Texas, New Mexico, and Arizona comps . . . she used to compete with Robert Campos - Intermediate then . . . so you guys probably have met somewhere, sometime.

18. Swirl

Swirl New Member

I know Robert Campos well! I live in Houston which is where he lived before he moved to California. I never competed against Robert though. I would probably know your wife if I saw her. I also know Debbie, Robert's ex wife.

Susan

19. Vince A

Vince A Active Member

Care (Carolyn) has competed with Robert for the last 3 years, but since he has moved, it's been a struggle . . . flying back and forth just to practice got very expensive for us last year.

Now she has 2 new Pros . . . for Pro-Am and Showcase, and one for Division.

Her new coach is Katie Boyle, and she (Care) has improved her dancing a thousand fold working under Katie, as well, as with her Pros.

Robert and his new wife have a young son these days, and they have the Paragon Dance Studio in Phoenix.

20. SuzieQ

SuzieQ New Member

A quick report on our competition last weekend in Ft. Worth. I did well in my pro-am dances, just got silvers but felt good about my dancing and have some things to work on for the future. My husband and I got first place in our division, didn't "win" because we didn't do enough dances, but the other couple only did one.
    Our daughter Gretchen and her partner won Div. II.
    We got to see Susan and her partner also---good job!
    We had a great time and can't wait until the next one! Lots of hard work ahead! Fun!