Ballroom Dance > Dancing on TV > Glee?

Discussion in 'Dancing on TV' started by RickRS, May 19, 2009.

1. Ray Sison

Ray Sison New Member

I've been enjoying the newer episodes... :)

2. RickRS

RickRS Member

Still haven't see this week show. Going to have to stream it off the FOX site tonight, as the local FOX station and Dish satellite network haven't agree on retransmission fees and Dish can't carry that local station anymore in my area.

But commenting on the general trends going on in Glee, I wish Kurt wasn't at a different school. I love Blake and the Warblers; the all male choir stuff they perform is super and contrasts well with the New Directions performances. And I like Blake and the storylines about Kurt's crush on him. But I miss Kurt's interactions with his New Directions classmates, it was fun having him challenging for head diva, something he doesn't/haven't done in the Warblers.

3. Twilight_Elena

Twilight_Elena Well-Known Member

The Santana/Brittany really got to me... so emotional! Santana turned out be excellent... who knew??? Also Brittany is quickly becoming a fave.

Didn't really like Mr. Schue in this ep, the Holly/Schue thing was a bit forced...

4. Ray Sison

Ray Sison New Member

Brittany IS my fave! :cheers:

5. Twilight_Elena

Blaine is pretty cool (was a great fan from his Harry Potter Musical days) and it's good that Kurt has a friend but we are missing out on his solos and awesome diva moments, aren't we? :(

6. TinyDancer109

TinyDancer109 Well-Known Member

i have a feeling deep in my soul that Kurt wll come back to new directions eventually once he is a little more comfortable in his own skin. :) maybe with a new bf :)

Brittany kinda pissed me off this episode because she made such a big deal to push santana to talk about her feelings but then said "oh great, i feel the same way, but i am still going to continue dating artie".. then what was the point of talking about feelings????

ETA - how awesome is Kurt's dad???!!

7. Twilight_Elena

Amazing father. If only most parents could be supportive like that...

8. Ray Sison

Ray Sison New Member

Santana is wonderful... :) And Emma, too...

[​IMG]

9. TinyDancer109

TinyDancer109 Well-Known Member

Emma!!!! <3 but i feel bad for her hubby. :( he is such a great character too!

10. GJB

GJB Well-Known Member

I've only seen a couple of episodes. I don't really pay much attention to the storyline. I just watch for the song and dance numbers.

11. Ray Sison

Ray Sison New Member

One beauty of the show is that it can appeal to different people in different ways like that... :)

12. Ray Sison

Ray Sison New Member

Yes, Emma is adorable! :)

13. RickRS

RickRS Member

LOL, last night was like they were reading our minds. Kurt FINALLY get his time in the spotlight. There were musical numbers so good I had goose bumps.

Of course, those goose bump moments numbers weren't "Only Child", "Trouty Mouth", and "Big knat.....Heart". Loved the silliness of the characters' early song writing effort.

And for a guy that's never been kissed, it wasn't half measures when that milestone passed for Kurt: no demure little moment but full-on teenage lust from Blaine.

I had expected the Regional comp results was going to be a tie between New Directions and the Warblers. Surprised that didn't happen.

14. Ray Sison

Ray Sison New Member

Some people think that the appeal of Emma may be partly from being like a lovely cartoon character. The vivid red hair and colors that she wears on the show. And those beautiful big, expressive eyes...

15. Ray Sison

Ray Sison New Member

Looks like Quinn is trying to get Finn back...

16. Ray Sison

Ray Sison New Member

And there's also the Brittany-Santana (aka "Brittana") sub-plot now. Always something interesting...

17. rbazsz

rbazsz New Member

The show is very entertaining and the dances are good -- although it's hard to tell if the dances are for real they way they only show 5 seconds before cutting to another scene. The flashing of scenes in that show gets very annoying.

18. DeCarabas

DeCarabas New Member

I'm probably a bit of an oddity being a straight man over 30 but I'm also a musical theatre performer so maybe that balances. I'm also a screen/stage writer, independent filmmaker, musician and sound engineer as well as an acting/voice/dance teacher. Additiojnally, I did some time as an IT professional (programming mostly) in the late 90's but that doesn't really apply here.

That being said, I like the show but I don't love it. There are a LOT of problems here.

The 'live' numbers are (very) obviously not. There's no attempt by the engineer to make it sound like the kids are performing in the spaces they're in. It's not that hard to do. I'm not the best audio guy I know but I know how to fix that.

Ok, soapbox time. AUTOTUNE IS THE DEVIL! I can hear it on almost everyone from time to time and I'll grudgingly accept that with television's tight production schedule that it might be occasionally necessary but I don't understand why you hire actors who can't sing to be in a show about kids who sing. Actually I do understand but if I went into it I'd be on a long rant about the industry and I'll spare you that.

Now Matthew Morrison (Schue) CAN sing. He's really, really good. No complaints. Jane Lynch - Ditto. Artie and Rachel are also both quite good. Stamos (when he shows up) is also excellent. Puck is O.K. but he doesn't have a lot of range. Finn has talent but he's extremely raw. I haven't heard enough of Blaine to make a decision but I have heard the dreaded AT on his voice more than once.

The others are mediocre to bad (Kurt is often shockingly bad) and studio magic cleans it up. Maybe the untrained ear can't hear it but I can and it annoys me to no end. Just so you know, the actor playing Kurt probably can't consistently produce those 'impressive' solos in a live setting.

I DO have a vocal processor in my studio. It's a fairly impressive-looking piece of gear. I never use it unless absolutely necessary on people I record and I NEVER use it on me.

By contrast the dancing is actually pretty good, what you see of it, but that's a combination of the director only showing you what's good (creative and/or strong technical camera work) and the fact that there's no way to electronically correct bad dancing.

The acting is usually good and it's getting better as the actor's settle into their characters a little more. If there is character inconsistency then it's most likely due to having multiple directors and multiple writers. Gwyneth Paltrow is terrible but then she usually is.

The writing is often sharp and snappy but it's a bit uneven (having multiple writers is partly to blame). Often I see characters saying and doing things that are not only inconsistent with the character as established but violate plot continuity (a consistent complaint of mine with television). Some of this can be chalked up to the 'character filter' but a lot of it is just flat-out bad writing.

I generally like the plot lines and their resolutions are usually satisfying although some of the more external plots (Stamos, Paltrow) often seem tacked on (I liked Idina Menzel, tho).

My main problem with the structure of the show is this: In a good musical (stage or film) the musical numbers flow organically from the story and the transitions from non-music to music are seamless with a natural flow. Often the show will shift back and forth within a song and if it's good it feels natural.

Now in GLEE, by contrast, the non-show musical numbers often have a stilted, contrived feel. So much so that if I don't like the song I'll fast forward through it since I know I won't get any useful plot information from it.

This isn't nit-picking. I could nit-pick for pages. The problem for me is I want to love this show and I only like it. And I only like it by doing my best to ignore it's obvious problems.

This isn't exactly a complaint but It's worth noting that these 'kids' are ALL old enough to be well out of high school (I believe Kurt is the youngest at 21) and in most cases out of college as well (Finn and Puck are nearly 30). This cast (if they could sing) would be more appropriate to RENT than GLEE. You can hide a lot with make-up and creative lighting but eventually it's going to show.

My 2 cents. Do with it what you like.

DeCarabas

19. Ray Sison

Ray Sison New Member

DeCarabas, thanks for sharing your opinions. You have a lot of good points. We all have our favorite shows and our own tastes...

Oh, and Welcome to Dance Forums! :mrgreen:

20. Terpsichorean Clod

Terpsichorean Clod Moderator

Welcome to Dance Forums, DeCarabas! I really enjoyed reading your review.