Ballroom Dance > Glenn Weiss running for USA Dance President

Discussion in 'Ballroom Dance' started by DanceMentor, Jun 12, 2016.

1. DanceMentor

DanceMentor Administrator

Wow! I think that is pretty big news and look forward to seeing this develope. I just signed a petition to get him onto the ballot.

Bailamosdance likes this.
  2. Bailamosdance

Bailamosdance Well-Known Member

awesome news - let's hope he is not 'run out of town' by the olds, as they did with the last slate of officers that won in a landslide, and then appointed themselves back in power.

3. Joe

Joe Well-Known Member

Why is a petition needed?

Bailamosdance likes this.
  4. Bailamosdance

LOL why is only a paper petition signed and MAILED by postal service needed; why is the election done by clipping ballots out of a magazine? The many impediments to the 'volunteers' that belie the requests for volunteers... This is known as 'pulling up the ladder behind you'.

5. DanceMentor

Maybe that will change after he is president :) basically it's just a clipboard at one of the dances

6. DL

DL Well-Known Member

pfffft....:)

ajiboyet likes this.
  7. Bailamosdance

they tried that last time, and the EC stonewalled everything that the new leaders (who came in in a landslide) tried to do. It's hard to unseat folks who have so much at stake financially and power wise, I think...

8. nikkitta

nikkitta Well-Known Member

That's shameful and disgusting.

mindputtee, Joe and Bailamosdance like this.
  9. ajiboyet

ajiboyet Well-Known Member

I see what you did there...

Loki likes this.
  10. Loki

Loki Well-Known Member

I'll have to see what marks he's given me before I vote. ;-)

s2k, Joe, dlliba10 and 3 others like this.
  11. DanceMentor

Assuming he is elected, I would expect this occasion will be quite different. This is basically Victor and Anastasia's main coach. He is an amateur World Champion and was 4th in the World in pro. He has a history of organizing big competitions. He regularly travels the world and has friends in many places.

We'll see. He is not even elected yet, but this could be prove to be a very significant development, and could be quite a kick to the status quo.

12. Dancing Irishman

Dancing Irishman Well-Known Member

I'm only one voter, but I'd definitely like to see leadership for USADance (and officially or unofficially affiliated orgs) take a less antagonistic stance toward the NDCA and its officials / affiliates; long term, I'd love to see overt cooperation, but I'd settle for a lack of antagonism and a presumption of positive intent on both sides in the short term. The public commentary in the past both here and on Facebook has often been disappointing.

s2k and Bailamosdance like this.
  13. Bailamosdance

Remember, the current (unelected but appointed) VP led the walkaway from membership in the NDCA. And when the last admin was voted out by a landslide, they voted themselves into positions to continue taking money for travel and 'assisting'. Then, they slowly pushed out the landslide elected officials, some of whom were with the org for decades, and apponted each other into power. Hard to see any possibility of forward thinkng from them; currently on a jaunt overseas on the members $$$, it is also hard to see them giving up their power and privelige either... And watch now for more censuring of the outspoken members that started in 2013.

14. Mr 4 styles

Mr 4 styles Well-Known Member

With you I assume??

15. caw

caw Active Member

(Glen has okayed the public sharing of the information below)

This is the form that needs to be signed and sent to Glen by post by next Friday for him to be eligible to be a candidate. He needs about 50 more signatures at this point.

(Here's link to the page on the USA Dance elections website:
    https://dance.site-ym.com/general/custom.asp?page=ElectionsCustom
    and a link to the PDF petition form:
    https://c.ymcdn.com/sites/dance.sit...mgr/Election/CANDIDATE_PETITION_-_NOMINAT.pdf)
    ...added by admin

His address is 32724 Coastline Dr., Penthouse A, Rancho Palos Verdes, CA 90275

Here is his statement:

Please allow me to introduce myself. My name is Glenn Weiss, and I am resident of Rancho Palos Verdes in California. I have lived in The United States since 1993. Originally I grew up in Denmark and lived there till my late teens. In the late Seventies I moved to London to pursue a career in ballroom dancing as it was called back then. I spent the rest of my career as an active competitor in London after which I moved to California.
    Growing up in Denmark all dancing was organized in amateur clubs and the governing body was The Danish Amateur DanceSport Federation which was a member of ICAD, which later became IDSF and eventually got its current name WDSF.

I was very fortunate to come under the influence of some very good mentors and success came early.
    There were multiple Danish Championships from Juniors through Youth and Amateurs in both 10 Dance and Standard. There was even a European 10 Dance Championship in the youth category. All made possible by the wonderful system set up by The Danish Federation and their army of volunteers. A system that made it possible for kids of all socioeconomic backgrounds to enjoy the wonderful thing we today call DanceSport.

Living in London was quite another thing. It was every person for him or herself. But the work ethics we had been taught as children continued to reap benefits. Within a relatively short time (5 years) we were fortunate enough to win all the amateur titles in the world, some of them more than once (World's, European, International, United Kingdom and The British in Blackpool. The point here is not to blow my own trumpet, but to emphasize that I have grown up and lived in system set up many years ago that we today know as WDSF. As such I have a great affinity for the goals and aspirations of USADANCE. I also competed as a professional, not with quite the same amount of success, but still good enough to be a finalist in all the major championships in the world.

Since retiring from competing I have dedicated my professional life to teaching and mentoring today's competitors. I am proud to say that this has been a very successful venture, and one that I must tell you has been more enjoyable than anything I else I have ever done.

This brings me to the next chapter in my life. I have for a long time thought about how we could help our dancers become more successful and grow DanceSport in The United States. It is with sadness and disappointment that I have been watching the bickering and squabbling amongst the leadership in USADANCE. An awful lot of time and energy has been spent fighting internally, and very little time has been used on the problems we face. This has to stop. We do not have to agree on everything, but we must be able to communicate and respect each other's opinion. The ego cannot be bigger than the common good. Having spent a great deal of my life in our dance world I think I have a pretty good background to be able to deal with all these things.

This is why I announce my candidacy to run for President of USADANCE at the next election. I don't need this job on my resume, or to make myself feel important. I honestly think that I will be able to contribute to the improvement of an organization run by so many wonderful volunteers who like myself love this sport.

I want everybody to know that you can get in touch with me on weiss.glenn@gmail.com and give me your suggestions or questions. I promise I will get back to everybody.

Regards,

Glenn Weiss

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 20, 2016
  16. RiseNFall

RiseNFall Well-Known Member

I'm not a USADance member, but would become one to do this. I think his ideas would be great for the sport. There are many types of memberships--does anybody know which types/levels can vote?? (I will eventually read through the website, but don't have time at the moment and if anybody knows I would greatly appreciate the information!)

Dancing Irishman likes this.
  17. The link to the form doesn't work, it just takes me to my personal gmail inbox. Not a member either, but would be willing to help share and encourage those who are to help.

18. Bailamosdance

19. snapdancer

snapdancer Well-Known Member

Probably best to get the form from the candidate. The candidate information needs to be filled out correctly in the header.

20. Bailamosdance

Actually, download the petition, fill in your signatures etc, and then send to the candidate, and then he will fill in his information, rather than wait for 2x snail mail (yes, the people he is running to replace insist on snail mail and are resistant to social media and electronic balloting! - making it hard for people to run)

USA Dance is not making this easy for candidates - and the deadline is looming. Please act now!