Ballroom Dance > Glenn Weiss running for USA Dance President

Discussion in 'Ballroom Dance' started by DanceMentor, Jun 12, 2016.

1. Titoxd

Titoxd Member

FYI, all USA Dance members just got the following email:

----

To USA Dance Members

USA Dance, Inc. 2016 National Election Candidates for the term beginning 1 January 2017 are:

National President Candidate - 4-year term
    • Glenn Weiss

National Senior Vice President Candidates, 2-year term
    • Ann Durocher
    • Ruth Long

National Secretary, 4-year term
    • Daphna Locker

National Treasurer, 2-year term
    • Scott Coates

VP for US DanceSport Council, 2-year term
    • Bill Davies
    • Mike Lynch
    • Renata Shvarts

VP for Social Dance, 4-year term
    • Jim DiCecca

DanceSport Council Delegates, 2 or 4-year terms depending upon which candidates receive greatest number of votes
    • Carole Barber
    • Inna Brayer
    • Irina Feingold
    • Roger Greenawalt
    • Nicole Palagashvili

For more information about each candidate go to elections.usadance.org . The candidates are listed there. Click on the candidate's name in that list and that candidate's individual web page will open with a photo, a resume and more.

The elections will be held 4–14 November 2016.

You will cast your vote either online (preferred), by telephone or by mail (least preferred) using the ballot to be published in the next issue of American Dancer.

All election materials for the 2016 elections reside on elections.usadance.org. The election information that you will find there, with appropriately timed release dates, and updates, will include:

Candidate
    • Statements
    • Resumes
    • Photos
    • Links to candidate social media sites
    • 2016 Nominations and Elections Committee recommendations regarding candidate suitability for the office for which they are running

Voter qualifications
    • Who can vote?
    • Who can vote for National Social Dance Vice President?
    • Who can vote for Nations DanceSport Vice President and DanceSport Delegates?

Election procedures
    • Complete ballot replica
    • Online voting method (recommended)
    • Telephone voting method (next best choice)
    • US Mail voting method (least desirable)
    • Voting Schedule
    • USA Dance 2016 Nominations and Elections Committee social media procedures

Effective immediately, the USA Dance 2016 Nominations and Elections Committee social media procedures:
    • USA Dance, Inc. Facebook pages, nationally or at the chapter level, are not to be used for campaigning
    • Candidate information will be provided directly or via links on elections.usadance.org and/or other USA Dance controlled electronic media. When this occurs, the membership will be notified via email, Facebook and/or on the front page of usadance.org
    • Information provided will include links to any electronic campaign sites of the candidate's choosing except USA Dance sites.
    • The entire membership is to be reminded that they must follow all USA Dance guidelines and policies regarding their behavior during the campaigns.

All official announcements from the USA Dance Nominations and Elections Committee will only be posted on elections.usadance.org and associated links along with American Dancer magazine, USA Dance Facebook pages, and emails to members from Mary at USA Dance Central Office. No other social media outlet is being provided with any official communications from the USA Dance Nominations and Elections Committee. All other social media outlets that purport to provide official news regarding the USA Dance Election process and/or decisions made by the USA Dance Nominations and Election Committee are misleading USA Dance members as well as the public. The information provided by such social media outlets has and continues to be inaccurate and misrepresentative of the USA Dance Nominations and Elections Committee processes and decisions. All members as well as the public are encouraged to obtain official information from the USA Dance Web election web site as well as the candidate’s web pages once they become available and disregard any election communications from all other social media sites.

Sincerely,
    USA Dance, Inc. 2016 National Nominations and Elections Committee

2. Mr 4 styles

Mr 4 styles Well-Known Member

Um.... yes. We did

3. Loki

Loki Well-Known Member

Is this the complete slate? No opposition? Just curious after I recd the e-blast.

4. Joe

Joe Well-Known Member

Huh? I see two Senior VP candidates, and three VP of Dancesport candidates. Isn't that opposition?

5. JudeMorrigan

JudeMorrigan Well-Known Member

In fairness, the title of the thread *is* "Glenn Weiss running for USA Dance President". One assumes that that specifically is what Loki was referring to.

Bailamosdance likes this.
  6. Loki

Loki Well-Known Member

No, for prez. Maybe I misread it.

7. Bailamosdance

Bailamosdance Well-Known Member

So far in the last few years, most presidents have lasted only a few months before resigning. The last 2 were appointed by Executive Council members of each other. This election is the first one with a real dancer running to head this organization.

8. wooh

wooh Well-Known Member

As opposed to imaginary dancers?

9. Joe

Joe Well-Known Member

Can you really blame anyone for not wanting to run for president?

Dancing Irishman likes this.
  10. snapdancer

snapdancer Well-Known Member

Pray tell, what is your definition of a "real dancer"? How did the candidates in the prior election fall short?

11. Bailamosdance

I guess I was a little overboard in the description of Mr. Weiss, but he is a world class dancer and teacher, having many titles and is recognized throughout the world as a top dancer in the field. I called him a 'real dancer' to differentiate him from the last group of presidents, who were not Dancesport dancers when they were elected.

http://www.wikidancesport.com/wiki/10244/glenn-weiss

The last presidents were either not competing or teaching at the time of their appointment or election or professional competition MCs (Mr. Chen). I think at one time too the Dancesport Delegates were required to be Championship level dancers by being active in the last 3 years, but they voted themselves into a 10 year arc, so the message sent was that officeholding by folks out of the competitive arena was ok.

12. snapdancer

I take it from your response that the answer to my question "what is your definition of a "real dancer?" is that only teachers and competitive dancers are "real dancers". So the amateur men you see at a comp being back-led through a canned routine by their pro are real dancers, but a social dancer skillful enough to dance with followers having a wide range of dance skills starting from a rank beginner is not a "real dancer". Nice to know.

Since USA Dance is an organization for both competitive and social dancers, a requirement for the president to have been a competitive dancer is not necessary. Dancesport Delegate, sure.

wooh likes this.
  13. Bailamosdance

As a competitive dancer, the requirement for a president that understands 'from the inside' the competitive field is very important to me. Competitive dancers pay almost 3 times as much in dues to the organization per dancer and are represented on the world stage by their parent organization. The leadership of this organization by someone who is arguably one of the top coaches today and has a history of dancing in the shark-infested waters of the dancesport with great success is an important factor to me and other competitive dancers who would like USA Dance to someday be a leader
    for am/am dancers.

Sania and RiseNFall like this.
  14. Mr 4 styles

Usa dance has a responsibility to it predominantly social dance members to continue to be community affair to meet up and social dance, have workshops cruises etc. Hence a VP position just for this goal.

Usa dance has a responsibility to its competitive dancers to provide a high level environment in which to compete. This includes nqes across the US not just the east and a strong nationals that provides for the needs of all ages of dancers involved

This falls to the president and governing council and their wdsf associates for the world stage

Hard to do it all but do it all they must.

Sania likes this.
  15. wooh

wooh Well-Known Member

So social gets a VP, but the dancesport VP can't handle dancesport? Okey doke. But that's not the point that I believe Snapdancer was making. It was the not-so-veiled insult that only competitive dancers are REAL dancers.
    Sure. Dancesport members pay more for membership. They also get more. Perhaps the dancesport members should be the only members. I'm sure you don't want imaginary dancers subsidizing you real dancers.

16. Bailamosdance

Actually, dancesport members get exactly the same as social dancers: the "magazine", discounted entrance to chapter socials, and 'discounts' for car rentals etc. they are required to pay $70 per person for this, instead of $25 for social dancers. They also are then allowed to pay full price to enter any USA Dance sanctioned competition.

There has been an ongoing discussion, btw, about how a real nonprofit in the tax code 503c works, and they do not ask members to pay for their costs, but get sponsorships etc. the feeling is that membership should not pay for day to day expenses etc of an org like this.

17. Mr 4 styles

Wooh I hope you are not lumping me into "that" group as I have iterated many times that I social dance and compete. I'm equally active in both aspects of usa dance in this manner and have been chapter president with 125 members of which a whole 4 competed .

I'm not defending BD, I personally would love to be president someday as I feel I understand what the organization means and should be to social and competitive dancers alike. Also seniors vs adults and teens . I'm not sure a former competitive pro has the insight
    Into all the groups. But knowing Mr Weiss I'm sure he will gain it quickly .

Until I have time to run he will have to do lol. Kidding I'm sure he will be great. And if not we can all tell him so :D

Sania and wooh like this.
  18. wooh

wooh Well-Known Member

And how much of the dues is spent on dancesport issues, like the never ending and never happening Olympics bids?

Bailamosdance likes this.
  19. Bailamosdance

Yes agreed! Tilting at windmills is their specialty.

Loki likes this.
  20. snapdancer

It appears that your hopes have been realized.

Mr 4 styles likes this.