Tango Argentino > Going crazy over ArT

Discussion in 'Tango Argentino' started by orcawhale, Jul 9, 2004.

1. orcawhale

orcawhale New Member

Hi, I am just starting out with ArT and took 2 lessons on it. But I am falling head over heels over it. I can't even begin to describe how much i love it. When people ask me why i dance ArT i just stare at them and says, its the most romantic dance on earth. For me its the dance of love. This is how love should be like. I know, i am kinda nutcase in the sense that I can be dancing while I am walking on the street or when I was visiting my friend's restaurant, i was dancing at her restaurant, at a corner where there was no partron. Euhh i was even practising steps in my office! I took salsa and all sorts of ballroom dancing before this. But none took to my heart like this one. This dance although may be hard at times, but it just spoke to my hearts content.

2. Sagitta

Sagitta Well-Known Member

wlecome to df! Glad to have another AT lover onboard! :D I am like you for AT. I was just sitting here figuring out how to squeeze both AT and salsa into my schedule. :?

3. MadamSamba

MadamSamba Member

Oh, OrcaWhale, what a lovely post. I'm so glad ye another potential tango dancer is being born. We all know the feeling and, like you, most of us too do salsa and ballroom, if not some other form of dance. Yes, there's just something about tango capable of making your heart swell and your feet move on your own.

Aside from being incredibly romantic (that rumba has nothing on AT), it can also be incredibly sexy. At it's most sensual, AT is incredibly, incredibly sensual. I often joke that kids under 18 should't be able to watch it! :)

Keep up your lessons and welcome to DF. We look forward to hearing what you have to say and follow your progress in AT.

4. dance-fanatic

dance-fanatic New Member

WOW! So I'm not alone! Like orcawhale I fell head over heels in love with tango, I can't even describe it! I did mainly ballroom and latin dance before taking on AT, as soon as I started out in AT I felt that I found the love of my life (a little exaggerating, hehe)!

I did have a hard time at the beginning because I had a very "ballroom" frame, when attending a milongas during a visit in Seattle, a lot of people pointed that out and asked if I do ballroom. It took me a while to do AT like an AT. But it's the most beautiful and sensual dance! And I'm so glad that I discovered this site which is shared by so many AT lovers. Through this forums I've discovered some very useful AT sites about shoes, music, techniques, etc. I'm so thankful.

The only thing is that we don't have a large AT community here, so I hardly (almost never) "dance outside the group". I'm really looking forward to attend some milongas somewhere else! :)

5. Sagitta

Another df Ar Tanguero/a!! :banana: You are welcome anytime in my little neck of the woods, CNY. Friendly, very friendly!!

6. etchuck

etchuck New Member

Cool... you'll have to wait until I can catch up with your excitement. Still trying to get ballroom frame out, not to mention subconsciously going into AmT rhythm.

7. dance-fanatic

dance-fanatic New Member

Hehe!! Keep trying etchuck! Actually the problem I have now is subconsciously getting into AT frame and doing AT stuffs when doing ballroom! (I've been "converted") :)

I noticed that you're from Durham NC, that's not that far from Columbia, so is there a large tango community up there? I heard of the triangle tango thing (or may be it's named something else I can't remember exactly).

8. Sagitta

Not triangle tango, and now that you brought it up I cannot remember. It's on the tip of my tongue, but won't come out... :oops:

9. orcawhale

orcawhale New Member

Its only 3 months!

Euhh, can you tell that i am already an addict? Its been only 3 months and I am dancing tango like 5-6 times a week! Going to classes, practica, then milonga... everything. Its a hard dance but its getting easier... my balance on high heels are at least getting much more better, can do tons of twist and turns... without being afraid of falling. And yesterday, i just got two of my best dance so far... with two leaders who are much more advance. Its much more fun dancing with them every single time.

10. etchuck

etchuck New Member

Note to self: Actually read some of the replies to my posts on occasion...

Yes, the Raleigh-Durham area is pretty big on Argentine tango. There have been a good number of regional milongas that have been organized here. I personally cannot make them, and I have difficulty enough squeezing even more dance lessons in the hectic schedule that I have (not to mention I've been trying to perfect my international ballroom tango).

The Durham group (I like Jason and Gulden, the latter is also a scientist postdoc who dances) is Tangophilia (dot com for their website). There is also the Triangle Tangueros (I think that's what they're called, their teachers are the Restuchas if you want to Google search them). The community itself may not be huge, but they have a very active engine of enthusiastic people, and a lot of the elder ballroomers in this area like to ArT too. Once of those experienced ballroomers actually volunteer-taught a 4-week session in Argentine Tango with the UNC ballroom dance club (which unfortunately again I could not attend).