Funstuff and Inspiration > Going off the deep end...

Discussion in 'Funstuff and Inspiration' started by BenjaminT, Feb 28, 2012.

1. BenjaminT

BenjaminT Member

Your new pro says that your balance is good but could use some improvement...You immediately decide to take up slack-lining and set one up after work.

After 25 minutes: 9 seconds without grabbing the assist. Adaption is relative to stimulus.

Anyone else take things to the extreme?

2. samina

samina Well-Known Member

oooooo...was planning on picking up a slack line for use in the local park this spring! lolz...

there are some local boys (er, young men) who regularly set one up there, and my neighbor tried it out when passing by and loved it. thought it would be *great* for developing active balance!

guess i'm going off the deep end with you, benjamin. :tongue:

3. BenjaminT

BenjaminT Member

I am curious to see how this is going to work. I think I'm imagining things, but after that first session I swear I had a heightened sense of my body position (proprioception). The sensation went away after a while, but it's like I could feel the tiniest tremors of muscle contractions while standing there washing-up.

While there is an obvious risk of injury (more so if you don't take appropriate precautions), I think it behooves any dancer to develop their proprioception to the most extreme degree that they can muster. Dancing certainly trains that, but the stimulus is always going to be consummate with the level you're at. My theory is that if my level of proprioeption far exceeds my current level of dancing, it's one less choke-point to inhibit learning.

That's one thing that was brought up in the "engineer" thread. How almost every one of them has extreme spatial reasoning skills, but quite a few don't have beans for body awareness.

4. Silmarwen

Silmarwen Member

I go slacklining every summer with my friends, it is so much fun! It defn helps develop body awareness, but also the tricks you can use to help regain you balance at the last second.

5. BenjaminT

BenjaminT Member

Coming up on three weeks and I have to say that it's been a worthwhile investment. I'm now up to 30 seconds and my balance in smooth has exceeded, what I believe, would have been possible through dancing alone.

6. fascination

fascination Site Moderator Staff Member

congrats...that is such an important accomplishment