Ballroom Dance > Good DVDs or Instructionals that focus on Leading (Male)?

Discussion in 'Ballroom Dance' started by carlosyabrudy, Apr 8, 2017.

1. carlosyabrudy

carlosyabrudy New Member

I have been dancing for a few weeks and i can't seem to find something that has either a lecture or a DVD that focuses on male leading and how to telegraph to the female of what you intend to do eg when about to go into a hesitation followed by double reverse spin in Waltz etc.

Any help would be appreciated.

2. raindance

raindance Well-Known Member

This subject is much better covered by lessons from a good instructor. Since you have only been dancing a short time, start with simpler figures until you start to get an understanding and feel for leading.

3. carlosyabrudy

carlosyabrudy New Member

Yeah. I know this part also and that with more experience with basic figures that it comes however, I want to take a lot of material in as I can cope with mass volumes of information no matter how detailed e.g. pivotal forces in turns and swing and cbmp etc. I was just curious if any of this material is covered like in Arunas Bizokas's stuff or Corcky Ballas' DVDs ...

What would be ideal is the ISTD DVDs and basic figures covering body movement eg on promenade postion turning your ribcage out slightly whilst keeping your body alligned to your partner etc.

4. DanceMentor

DanceMentor Administrator

Try to find some of the BDF congresses on YouTube, even old ones. There is a wealth of knowledge there.

ajiboyet and carlosyabrudy like this.
  5. flying_backwards

flying_backwards Active Member

Welcome. We're so glad you are dancing and asking questions on DF! :)

Since the lead in Standard is inherent in the leader's body action and posture, your first layer of information on how to lead will be to learn how to dance the figures yourself.

You can use BOTH lessons and lectures to learn which of the leader's movements cause which of the follower's movements.

In your example, indicate to the lady not to change weight on count 6 of the hesitation by only using body rise, no foot rise, and taking care that your weight (your balance) is over your right whole foot. (Count 6 assuming you mean a Natural Hesitation which starts with 123 of half a Natural and counting 456 for the back-side-brush.) Then the lady will know to keep her weight on her left foot on count 6, leaving her right foot free for a stride back into, for example, a Double Reverse Spin.

An exercise you can do to test your lead of the Natural Hesitation is to not tell your partner which you will lead, and then either do a Natural Turn or a Natural Hesitation and see if she feels the difference. Sometimes I can already tell by count 5 that the leader has reached to side with ie of whole foot instead of just ie of ball of foot. It also helps a lot to play the role of follower and have your teacher lead you in those two figures so you can feel the difference.

This sort of basic information is available in books, DVDs, YouTube, etc but knowing it in words is not enough to dance it. For that you really do need a qualified instructor in person. A book or video will not tell you what you are doing wrong that you are not aware of.

6. Loki

Loki Well-Known Member

Dance Vision dot com. Victor Vay-ray-say (sorry, can't spell it) and Heather Smith for Standard. Plus you can get streaming video if you prefer.

There are some minor differences between DVIDA and ISTD syllabi in Fox IIRC, so best to cross check.

I use these as an adjunct to private lessons.

There are also some vids that focus more intensely on technique, but I've not purchased any (yet).

BTW, Victor tells you exactly what to do to lead a dbl reverse on the waltz DVD.

Mr 4 styles and carlosyabrudy like this.
  7. flying_backwards

flying_backwards Active Member

Veyrasset

I agree with Loki. My partner and I used that same set of DVDs together with, not instead of, lessons.

carlosyabrudy, Borazine and Loki like this.
  8. j_alexandra

j_alexandra Well-Known Member

My two cents, as a follower who dearly loves a good leader:

All the books and videos in the world can't teach you how to lead. Books and videos can help you learn to execute figures, but leading happens in the mind *and* body.

You can study books and videos until the cows come home. They will not teach you to feel the sweet spot when you change from completing a hesitation to leading a double reverse spin.

An excellent teacher who is also an excellent leader may be able to teach you how to lead.

If you can, take private lessons from a teacher who is expert in leading and is willing to share his* version of the arcane art of leading -- if you can find one.

You need to find an excellent teacher FOR YOU, which is not the same for everyone.

Oh -- also, open your mind to what he has to share. It may not be anything like what's in the books and videos you'll be using as a crutch in the meantime.

*most likely a man, although I have danced with one leader who Larinda taught. He's an awesome leader, so I include her in the "teacher who is expert in leading" category.

(it was a blast, following him, btw; thank you, Larinda, on behalf of the ladies who get to dance with him).

IndyLady, Purr, carlosyabrudy and 3 others like this.
  9. opendoor

opendoor Well-Known Member

Hi Carlos, don't want to get on the bad side here in a ballroom forum, but to learn how to telegraph (we call it projection) you might ask a tango teacher. In tango we focus about one year on leading technique, which is telegraphing to a follower who actually does not know what will come next.

Attached Files:

carlosyabrudy likes this.
  10. snapdancer

snapdancer Well-Known Member

Do you have an equivalent file for the leader that you meant to attach?

ajiboyet and carlosyabrudy like this.
  11. opendoor

opendoor Well-Known Member

No, sorry snapdancer , I haven't. The attached file originally was published 2012 by Tangoforge, but I couldn't find it online, now.

12. newbie

newbie Well-Known Member

13. carlosyabrudy

carlosyabrudy New Member

Thanks to all who helped.
    I just found Veyrasset's Man Leading DVD
    I will grab some congress stuff to see what's being spoken about. I attended one yesterday which was fantastic stuff.

14. Mr 4 styles

Mr 4 styles Well-Known Member

Victor is the bomb. Lessons with him are worth the price. Super teacher for us analytical leader types :p

ajiboyet, carlosyabrudy and Borazine like this.
  15. IngaSv

IngaSv New Member

Leading also depends on the particular lady you're dancing with :)

16. DL

DL Well-Known Member

Precocious!

Mr 4 styles likes this.