General Dance Discussion > Good Reasons to *Quit* Dancing...

Discussion in 'General Dance Discussion' started by Matrix, Aug 14, 2005.

1. ratherbdancing

ratherbdancing New Member

Comment on the original topic: In my opinion the best reason to quit dancing is that you don't enjoy it anymore. When it isn't fun then why are you doing it? I don't think you should quit something just because other people feel neglected etc. So what if it has taken over your life, as long as you don't mind then whats the point of stopping.

2. luh

luh Active Member

yeah, so maybe the question "why does dancing stop being fun?" would be interesting. I can just think of things like, that your special partner stopped, or doesn't dance withyou anymore. maybe the teacher is away, or you have changed to like another style of music. any other suggestions?
    luh

3. Matrix

Matrix New Member

I highly doubt that to anybody who's ever thought of reducing the time they spend dancing and dedicating it to something that will leave better fruits in his/her life, dancing has become something not fun and/or something not pleasing.

It is STILL fun... that's not the point.

4. Sagitta

Sagitta Well-Known Member

Now that's a good point. I enjoy performing for instance, but it was doing a number to my feet. One good thing? My expenses have dropped dramatically now I don't spend so many hours driving...

5. MacMoto

MacMoto Active Member

But isn't there a difference between cutting down on dancing and quitting altogether?

6. luh

luh Active Member

maybe effectively, but if you look at it drastically, than quitting is just cutting down all of it.
    though i think cutting it down a little might help those who are too much into it. that doesn't go for me. I'm just once dancing a week, - and that's lessons.
    luh

7. Matrix

Matrix New Member

Let me take a look into my lifestyle in the past months since I began dancing.

uhmmm...

Mondays - Floriditas
    Mojitos, Live band, non-dancer grateful hotties, Mojitos, fun and more Mojitos. I met Aly Landry there, he he he... :)
    Tuesdays - Steven's Steak House (can't miss that!)
    Dancers night! Yeay! Showing off at the small floor! haha
    Wednesdays - Monsoons
    Well, much better than Cohibas and with a Live band, although a bit crowded.
    Thursdays - Mama Juana's
    or Conga Room when I was teaching there with Liz Lira... :razz: (haha, had to throw that one in there)
    Fridays - off sometimes, or Florentine or Granada or Century Club
    Make sure you call friends (the dancers) to meet up there, or it'll be a sucky night!
    Saturday - Granada for sure, UNLESS it's competition time and I'm either competing or watching my friends compete at the Mayan nightclub.
    That reminds me, where's my free yearly pass to the Mayan?
    Sunday - well, of course, it's sunday and all good salseros go to Church. Steven's Steak House again... but this time with the 2 rooms, all the dancers, over 700 peeps all over the place... it's like a mini-congress.
    Find me at the pretentious corner of the big dance floor... :? hey, that's where everyone hangs out... :razz:

I still can't believe that I went out for over 6 months non-stop, every day of the week, sleeping averages of 3-4 hours, taking naps inside my car during my lunch hour at work, always looking forward to going out again the next day... :? I'm glad I slowed down after a while, going out only 4-5 times a week, then it was even lower @ 3 times a week. But then it went back up to 7 days a week and it kept on going up and down like that...... :x But hey, it paid off... :) this last L.A. Salsa Congress I could dance with ANYBODY that was there... nobody was too high above and I even danced with a few beginners (which I always strive to do, since very few took the time to dance with me when i was starting) and had fun at it. Gosh... it kinda sucks to be one of the "dancers" ... but in a way, I am glad to have met so many great people along the way, realize how good some of them are, and even have a chance @ starting dance for hope to raise money for people living with cancer, aids, etc. Fate has plans for you and you cannot escape them, no matter what... now, I'm still in the bumpy road to finding true love, but gosh... that's a whole different story... I guess... :lol:

8. pygmalion

pygmalion Well-Known Member

Yikes, man! Seven days a week? Ya gotta sleep ... sometimes, at least. :wink:

9. pygmalion

Wait a second! Is it 3:25 in the morning where you are? Did you just get home from dancing? :roll:

10. Matrix

Matrix New Member

hahaha... :lol: :lol: :lol: ...yes. STEVEN'S BABY!! :D Need to be at work @ 7, but I'm so hyper from all that Merlot that I cannot fall asleep...

11. pygmalion

:doh: You've got it bad. :wink:

12. Matrix

Matrix New Member

:oops: see now why i started this thread? :oops:

hey, do you know what a White Russian is? (and no, I'm not talking about any of the members who might be white russians on DF). A girl asked for that drink and when I got to the bar to order it, I was like... WTH is that! How does it taste? I think I might have one for myself next time... :razz:

13. pygmalion

Isn't that the one with vodka, Kahlua, and cream? If so, it's a little on the sweet side for my taste. It's pretty nice, and has a little bit more of a kick than just Kahlua and cream. 8)

14. Matrix

Matrix New Member

ok, since my favorite and preferable drink is the Long Island... do you think that'll be too weak for me or a complete disappointment?

I'm kinda not good at trying out stuff, I'll rather stick to what works for me... :lol:

15. MacMoto

MacMoto Active Member

Matrix, you've been throwing 100% into dance, your whole world has been dance, and you've achieved what you've strived to achieve. Now you are in a reflective mood, thinking maybe there's more to life than spending all waking hours on dance -- right? (If not, then you can ignore the rest of this post. :roll: )

The fact that you are thinking that way means it's probably not a bad idea to take a bit of time off dance and pay attention to what you feel you have been neglecting. Don't let anyone around you stop you -- the fact that you feel you should spend more time doing other things is a good enough reason. You own your life, not the others.

Still, to me there is a *big* difference between cutting down (or even taking time off for a while) and quitting altogether. I've done quitting once before (not salsa, btw), and when you say to yourself "I'm quitting this", the final-ness of the decision in your mind really affects you. When you say to yourself "that's it, no more" when deep down you still love it, you lose a part of your soul. Taking time off may in effect be the same action, but your mindset is different. So, by all means take time off if you feel you could do with a change of pace (looking at your lifestyle, you definitely should try and get more sleep :roll: :lol: ), but don't say you are quitting, just yet.

16. pygmalion

I can relate. If it ain't broke, don't fix it, right? But yeah, a white Russian will probably seem pretty wimpy next to an iced tea.

Then again, what doesn't? :roll: :lol:

17. pygmalion

This is excellent advice, MM. You're a very wise woman. 8) :D

18. MacMoto

MacMoto Active Member

:idea: Now I know what I got when I asked for an iced tea at a bar once... :roll: :lol: Problem was, the place served tea/coffee as well as alcoholic stuff, and the tea/coffee menu also included iced tea, which was what I wanted...

19. cocodrilo

cocodrilo New Member

Quitting is for weenies...

20. pygmalion

:lol: :lol: Yeah. That happened to me once. :shock: :lol: :lol: