Tango Argentino > Good tango music for practice

Discussion in 'Tango Argentino' started by Danish Guy, Feb 22, 2011.

1. Danish Guy

Danish Guy New Member

Thanks for all the input and suggestions so far. I appreciate it all. [​IMG]

We don’t have spotify in Denmark, but my internet provider have a similar thing, and then there’s youtube as suggested.

So I am in the process of listening, and finding out what fits me, before getting the good quality sound I get from purchasing the cd’s. Your names, lists and links are very helpful.

To help you out, I am mostly clueless to the musicians and artists and song titles.

I have been dancing Tango for ½ a year, and I am greatly helped with my salsa background and a follower with similar background and a lot of good feedback, (and the absolutely priceless habit of doing what she feels I am leading, and not walking the steps of the current pattern). So I got a head start in beginner class, but at the same time I am very aware of my limitations.

This made me giggle. My second hobby at the moment is freediving, so I am actually jumping off in the deep end with 4,5 kg lead around my neck, and sort off practicing both swimming and drowning.

But I understand and appreciate both the points. What’s works for people is very individual. I don’t have a problem in hearing and keeping the beat or the 1 or what it’s called in tango. But for beginners who have trouble with the beat I would keep it as clear and simple as possible.

For practice steps, lead, patterns and to break down patterns and part of patters for sticking them together in new ways I prefer a not to fast steady and clear walking rhythm as some of this are labelled. This helps getting them right and getting them into body memory.

For practicing dancing what I know so far and understanding the rhythm, breaks and “da da da’s” and actually hitting that, some of the more challenged music is good to have.

Dancing Tango to “pop” music that is usable or even good for the purpose can work, and even be a blast at a party where you meet another tango dancer and have to use the available music. So I have to try Spider's web also, but I will prefer classic and new/electronic tango for practice. Dancing Merengue to techno music can be a blast by the way.

Milongas is too fast and stresses me out, and the tango waltz is nice for the ears and eyes, but I need a workshop or two before trying those on the floor again.

I its so much more fun for me to get your suggestions and favourites, then search blindly for anything labelled tango. So feel free to add tracks, artists and links. I will keep you posted as I get the opportunity to try out the suggestions.

2. LCbaseball22

LCbaseball22 Member

Oh, and for this "Libertango"...is it just me or are there like 10 versions of this song and they all sound different? I mean not even the same lyrics...

I think the Bond one that suburbanknight rec'd sounds best.

3. Steve Pastor

Steve Pastor Moderator Staff Member

"Real" Argentine Tango can be pretty confusing to the untrained ear, and that's the Golden Age stuff that is considered to be highly rhythmic. When you get to the "post Golden Age" stuff as by the two Ps, forget it until you get your AT chops down.

If you're in a college ballroom class (which is what I've read elsewhere) you probably want to stick with "European march like tango" with more obvious rhythms if you are looking for something to dance to.

4. dchester

dchester Moderator Staff Member

While I'm not positive about this, I don't think the original song had any lyrics.

5. dchester

The music differs between Argentine tango and American tango, but there is some overlap.

Some people will dance tango to pretty much any kind of music, but some others will treat this as blasphemy, (as those people include "dancing to tango music" as part of the definition of dancing tango).

There are lots of opinions on this topic, and some of the people have very strong opinions on the matter. As for me, I just try to understand the various opinions (sometimes masquerading as rules), without getting too hung up on the extremism.

6. LCbaseball22

LCbaseball22 Member

LOL, kinda like the people who will dance West Coast Swing (which is my fav) to anything? (is sometimes guilty of that)

I get it, it's just I don't particularly like traditional "tango music" so I'm wondering if there isn't some pop, hip-hop, rock or whatever music that you can dance it to as well, similar to how I discovered East Coast and West Coast can be danced to just about anything as long as the tempo is right...

It's nice if the dance is versatile like that and can be done in a variety of venues to various music. I mean otherwise I imagine I'll never dance tango unless except for when I go to my instructor's studio where they play "tango music".

7. dchester

It takes time for some people (I guess that means you [​IMG]) to acquire a taste for tango music. It's such a broad category of music, that it's pretty unusual for someone not to like any of it (at least after listening to it for a while). Like with any genre of music, there's a lot of crap mixed in with the better songs. While I really do like tango music, there's plenty of it that I don't like.

As for dancing tango to other styles of music, there are people who do it all the time. As for me, I only do it occasionally. A lot of the "alternative music" that people play simply do not inspire me to dance tango, but some of it does.

In any case here are a few other CDs that might be more to your liking (The genre is called neo-tango music).
    Gotan Project - La Revancha Del Tango
    Otros Aires - Otros Aires
    Buenos Aires: París - Various Artists

8. LCbaseball22

LCbaseball22 Member

Yeah, I looked it up...it didn't. The original was by a guy named Astor Piazolla and was purely instrumental. Oh, and I just realized this but "Bond" does not mean that it's from one of the Bond movies (though it sounds perfect for a number of scenes, lol) it's actually a band consisting of a female string quartet...doh! :eek: And man oh man it's a sexy song...if only all Tango music sounded like that! :p

9. UKDancer

UKDancer Well-Known Member

... then most of us wouldn't dance tango at all. A great deal of Piazolla's output was written for the concert hall, and not for dancing. He was one of the leaders of the tango nuevo movement, which by and large was never intended to be danced to, and can't be, very successfully.

It does take a while to hear 'through' the scratchy sound of some of those older Golden Age recordings, and to appreciate the unique qualities of the great dance orchestras of the period (mainly) between 1935-1955. Some, continued to record for many years after that, but rarely does their output improve, even though the recorded sound is obviously better.

Much of the 'modern' music that has a clear steady beat dances surprisingly well to Ballroom Tango (particularly if you use software that can alter tempi to suit). I find that there are a handful of songs that I do use for dancing, but I rarely manage to make any connection with the music in Argentine Tango. I prefer to listen, and not to dance, but neither very often. A real problem with much of this music is the length of tracks.

If you can be bothered, you can edit, of course. Anything by Gotan is usually improved by removing 3/4 of it anyway, and as it is the same material, looped again and again, no one would ever notice.

10. Ampster

Ampster Active Member

Here's my opinion on the differences between Argentine and ballroom tango music--> Layman's guide to different types of tango

11. bordertangoman

bordertangoman Well-Known Member

It was Grace Jones who made Libertango famous with her song "I've seen that Face Before" but her record company stole the song without the artists permission. Its a great piece of music but doesnt lend itself to sovial dancing, though Sally Potter's Choreographed dance in 'the Tango Lesson' is quite thrilling.

12. LCbaseball22

LCbaseball22 Member

Um ok, why doesn't it lend itself to social dancing?

13. newbie

newbie Well-Known Member

Uh? Piazzolla is more famous than Grace Jones even when she was famous.

14. UKDancer

UKDancer Well-Known Member

Rhythm. Try it!

15. piimapoika

piimapoika Member

If you want music you can actually dance to, and sounds good, "Tango Project" (not to be confused with Gotan Project) is worth looking out for. This is an American trio who provided the music for "Scent of a Woman".

Or Miguel Villasboas. A Uruguayan orchestra with a nice steady beat and no messing about. Unfortunately only available secondhand.

Or what about Malando? The guy whose aim was to introduce the authentic Argentine stye to Europe? Even though some unkind people said he sounded Dutch. Nice danceable tangos, and the records are easy to get.

The arty stuff and scratchy 78's can come later.

16. AndaBien

AndaBien Well-Known Member

Tango Project is popular amongst the Ragtime Tango aficionados. Both of their CDs are very nice, but I wouldn't call them Argentine Tango. For one thing, they have an accordion rather than a bandoneon.

17. salthepal

salthepal New Member

Almost everyone starting tango loves to dance to non-tango music because it's familiar and even fun. But as you progress, you come to realize that tango is so much more than just another dance. It's not just doing tango steps to the music; it's more like absorbing the emotions from the song and whispering them through your body to the person you're dancing with. It's more of an emotional experience than a just a dance.

The tangos from the golden age have so much emotion (sadness, loneliness, betrayal, love, happiness, abandonment, playfulness, heck even love of your pets; whatever you can think of, there's a song about it), with the best rhythm for dancing tango, which is why you would dance your best tango to a good golden-age tango. A catchy tune with a techno beat just doesn't provide that emotional experience. Besides, I can go almost anywhere to hear pop, hip-hop, techno, country, etc. But the only place I can go and hear some golden-age tango is at a milonga. Which is why I don't appreciate going to a milonga only to have the DJ play mostly non-tango. My 2 cents.

If I had to rank golden-age orchestras from easiest to dance to (Clear rhythm, smooth & slow) to hardest (fast rhythms, constant switvhing between extremely lyrical to extremely smooth) )(very subjective list):

Calo
    Canaro
    Di Sarli
    Demare
    Tanturi
    D'Arienzo
    Laurenz
    Biagi
    Troilo

18. bordertangoman

bordertangoman Well-Known Member

so you are advising a beginner to dance to non-tango music until they get to like Golden Age classic tangos?

19. Dave Bailey

Dave Bailey New Member

It doesn't matter. Beginners won't be dancing to the music anyway.

;)

20. salthepal

salthepal New Member

Absolutely not. I edited my post to include a list of golden-age orchestras ranked by order of easiest to dance to to hardest. What I am saying is that the infatuation of beginners with non-tango music seems to be natural, mostly because golden age songs are unfamiliar. And a lot of teachers and DJs indulge them because they want to keep the students coming to their classes and milongas.